thread: books that might be helpful

Mar 2008
    mid north coast, nsw

books that might be helpful

I was in the library the other day in the baby/fertility section and I borrowed two books, which have both made me laugh and provided helpful advice:

Swimming Upstream- the struggle to conceive...written from a man's perspective
    and
    In vitro Fertility Goddess- written by a woman in a funny way about her long struggle to have a baby, with miscarriages on the way and eventually IVF

just thought I'd share..maybe they are already listed on here somewhere, but as I just came upon them I thought others might find them helpful, or at least make you smile at your situation a bit

p.s there is info online about both of them, so you can just google if interested
    Last edited by Possums; April 20th, 2009 at 11:24 AM.

Jan 2008
    Brissy

thanks, i find it hard to get good info, usually if you do a google search 1 million/ trillion sites come up.
    keep us informed.

Sep 2008
    Sydney

Hi,

I also loved the Fertility Goddess book - nice to have a lighthearted look at it.

Sara

Mar 2008
    mid north coast, nsw

Sara, that book has really made me laugh at it all...and I can relate to many of her feeling, even the not-so-admirable ones this process seems to bring out sometimes

Aug 2008
    Melbourne

Thanks for this Possums - I am going to try to get them out of our local library. I could use a humorous perspective on all of this right now.

Mar 2008
    mid north coast, nsw

i hope it does make you smile- my IVF nurse is also reading at the moment (it was a coincidence). It just highlights how crazy this process can make us sometimes

Aug 2008
    Melbourne

Nice that your ivf nurse was reading it - clearly means this isn't just a job for her and she really cares and wants insight - I think that's great.

Mar 2008
    mid north coast, nsw

julie- actually she has been through many IVF cycles herself (years ago though, when the process was not as good), trying to have child no 2 (she fell pregnant with her son while waiting for IVF)..she ended up not having success and decided to stop trying and settle with just the one, who is now at uni She is very understanding as a result, and really goes above and beyond for me at times, and has been a real support through all this, even when I had the natural pregnancy and miscarriage she was there for me, so that certainly has been a positive in all this

Aug 2008
    Melbourne

Possums - that nurse sounds great...the ones I have dealt with range from nice (but they really don't engage in any kind of conversation about the process etc.) or they just want to draw blood and send you out. No one has been rude, but not one stands out either.

Jan 2007
    Perth

Ive got a pile of IVF/Infertility related books - some good, some not so. My favourite would be Making Babies, by Theresa Miller and Hearts Desire by Judith Uyterlinde. They are both personal stories and look at other peoples journeys. For a more informational book, The Infertility Survival Guide by Judith Daniluk is really great.

Mar 2008
    mid north coast, nsw

Thanks Bec, I'll look those up too

I also have the book IVF and Ever After

Apr 2007
    in lactation land

My two favs are

Sex at 6pm - Annarosa Berman
    & Bec's choice of Making Babies.

Sadly Annarosa wasn't successful in getting her forever child, but her inner thoughts were so familiar I just felt this was one book that I could give to my family for them to understand what it was I was going through. A very respectful and insightful journey IMO.

Personally, I found Invitro Fertility Goddess grating.

Mar 2008
    mid north coast, nsw

Thanks Dusty
    Last edited by Possums; April 23rd, 2009 at 08:56 AM.

Jan 2008
    Sunny Paradise

Hi Everyone.

Here you all are. I've missed you guys in LTTTC & Assisted Conception.

Possums/Dusty -thanks for the book tips. They all sound interesting. I'm def going to look them up.

I've just bought one which I am going to recommend here. It's called "The Mind-Body Fertility Connection" by James Schwartz. Why I particularly liked it is because it focusses a lot on how to overcome the stress involved in conception. I struggle with stress in general which feeds my endometriosis. Also, I am a qualified Hypnotherapist and there are some very good self-hypnosis ideas in the book, along with specific meditation and mind states etc. It's worth looking up online to see what you think.

Hope you lovely ladies are all doing well.

Mar 2008
    mid north coast, nsw

this is a bit off the subject, but do you ladies think there is any more room in the market for another IVF/TTC struggles type book?

Apr 2007
    in lactation land

Possums your post has jogged my memory as I found THIS list on the ACCESS website recently.

Mar 2008
    mid north coast, nsw

thanks