Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The cost of IVF?

Melissa

several of the girls who post regularly in the monthly thread have dealt with Dr Downing, so if you want some info on him, you should certainly ask them. Im sure they'll be happy to share their experiences.

I hope the results from your lap turn out good and you, at the very least, find out what has been going on.

Keen

Keen,

we have had the discussion about costs a few times now. Is there a way to consolodate these past disucssions into one thread? I know that I have written a couple of long winded responses to inquiries re costs. It would be great to be able to cut and paste these responses rather than re-writting them!

Hayseed

will see what I can do!

Keen

dolphin22 Guest

Hi Sedony,

With Monash IVF its all up front costs but the reason why im going through them is because my doctor from M.A.C.C works there aswell and i didnt want to change as im very happy with him. He has sent us through to the Broadmeadows one where apparently its cheaper i think he said.

I hope you find an IVF clinic that your happy with

Take care

Cindy

ollyfroggy Guest

hi every 1 not sure how or what 2 do on here but i was winderin the cost of ivf and how 2 go bout it ive been told that the only way i would fall preg is with ivf but that still may not work hope sum1 can help me on how 2 use this site plus with my q

Hi Olly,

Which state do you live in? I would suggest taking a look at one of the IVF clinic's websites because they have the costs listed there usually. Some clinics ask you to pay the whole thing up front and then claim back from Medicare. I go to Melbourne IVF and we pay just the out of pocket up front so it varies.

If you have any general questions, this is the right place to ask! We have a monthly thread where most of the general discussion takes place. There are varied people in this group with varied experiences so chances are, someone has encountered the topic you have questions about.

Good luck!

Melissa

ollyfroggy Guest

hi iam from nsw syd

Olly,

There are a number of clinics in NSW. Sydney IVF is one of the biggest and they have regional clinics as well. I'm pretty sure I've seen their website and it even has a step by step section to show you what happens on IVF treatment.

How have you reached this point? I gather you have already been for some tests and seen your GP about things. Did they offer to refer you to somebody?

It is true that IVF does not work for everybody. That said, for people with fertility problems, a thirty percent chance with IVF is much greater than the odds we are stuck with now so it is a gamble worth taking if you are up for it.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 37.

Mel

ollyfroggy Guest

Default hi mel

hi mel
    yeah i have had test done and have seen sum doc.
    i dont get my monthly at all couldnt tell u the last time i had em(which i like lol) but not a good thing thou.oOne doc told me 2 lose weight and ill fall preg the other said if i lose weight ill get my monthly then fall preg. I have done that and now then they said it was very hard 4 me 2 fall preg and i may never.Iam not sure what they said is wrong with me but i will find out what they call it.
    Iam 26 and other half is 37 he has been tested and his ok it all me

Olly,

I hope one of the doctors can give you a name for what the problem is because that will help you tremendously. I recommend you also get your hands on a book called "Getting Pregnant" by Robert Jansen (either local library or book shop). It is well worth it because it explains everything about fertility problems and their treatment. Once you've got the info, you can then make an informed choice about what is being offered to you and you will know all the alternatives. You can ask questions of the doctors and get the answers you need.

Good luck with it Olly. Let us know how you get on and please come and chat in the monthly thread. You'll find lots of ladies who've been through all kinds of treatment and possibly even some who have the same problem. It's great for support in here.

Cheers,

Melissa

ollyfroggy Guest

hey mel
    thanks heaps 4 listin 2 what q i had ur been a great help ill try and get on when its on but not sure when it is
    thanks again
    O thanks
    olivia

Blue Sky Guest

Hi,

I'm contemplating taking out private health insurance to cover IVF but am not entirely sure it will be worth it. Can anyone advise me what rebates you get through pte health?

As far as I'm aware, the only portion which may be payable (once the waiting period is finished) is any inpatient procedures. According to my last medicare statement, that may mean that I would be able to claim $70. Does that sound about right?

thanks,
    H
    (PS - I'm with Melb IVF if that helps)

blue, check out this thread where there are several different cycles listed detailing out of pocket expenses, medicare rebates and any private health rebates some of us have experienced.

Hope it helps.

Blue Sky Guest

Thanks Keen,

Here's a reply I received this morning from HCF in case there's anyone interested! (am not promoting their product, just thought that it may be handy info!)
    H

"Outpatient medical services, including IVF, are not covered by HCF.

Our Top Plus Cover will include cover for IVF services provided while you
    are a patient in hospital.

The hospital charges (theatre, accommodation etc) are covered 100% (minus
    any applicable hospital excess if you stay overnight). Medical bills are
    generally covered by both Medicare and HCF.

Medicare will pay 75% of the scheduled fee, and HCF will pay 25% of the
    scheduled fee. Any amount that the doctor charges above this is your out
    of pocket expense.

We do have arrangements whereby if a doctor agrees to charge an amount set
    by HCF - the "Medicover" or "no gap" amount - you will have no out of
    pocket expenses.

Please note that there is a 12 month waiting period for pre-existing
    conditions on all our policies. Top Plus Cover is the only option that
    will include cover for IVF in a private hospital. Our other two cover
    options, Hospital Savings and Hospital Advanced Savings Option, will only
    cover you for IVF services in a public hospital as a private patient."

sedony Guest

ee

Default ivf costs

After TTC for 16 months and not getting any younger we are looking at IVF. The cost for stimulated IVF has been quoted as $6000 before medicare rebate and payable up front and the hospital will be $1200 plus aneasthesist costs with Monash IVF. Prices are for 2008. A friend in Melbourne same treatment is paying about a third less with melbourne IVF. Can anyone please advise us of what they have been told for stimulate ivf with either monash ivf or melbourne ivf. :We are very confused by all the prices. I had an ectopic pregnancy when i was young . I would appreciate anyones advice on this matter. We partly feel we are just wanted for our money .pray:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12