Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of IVF?

dolphin22 Guest

Default The cost of IVF?

Hi my DP and i are going to be going through IVF probably next month, was just wondering what the costs are??
    Do you have to pay upfront ? or will medicare pay for it ?
    Sorry about all the questions but would just like to know before the doctor tells us so i dont faint and fall off my chair if its an upfront cost..lol

We are in Melbourne.

Thanks for your help in advance !!

Cindy

Hi Dolphin,

Welcome to our humble abode. The people here are fantastic so I hope you will become a regular visitor. As you may have guessed, we love to talk!

Which clinic are you at? I'm not familiar with Monash IVF but I know that on Melbourne IVF's website, there is a list of costs for treatment. I'd suggest having a look at that. Also, you might like to have a word with your counsellor, doctor or people at the clinic. There should be a clear outline of what the costs will be before you start.

My understanding is that you need to pay up front and then get some of it back later from Medicare. Don't know if you have private health insurance or not, but I know that when I enquired about it last year, they told me I was covered for IVF. There was the proviso though that I had to be admitted as a patient in order to be covered so that might be worth discussing with your clinic before you begin.

Good luck with your treatment!

dolphin22 Guest

Thanks for that Melbo !!

We were at Melbourne Assisted Conception Centre but now have to change fertility clinics cause they dont do IVF.

I think we will be going to Melbourne IVF. I might ring them up and ask. If we have to pay up front we wont beable to go for it until next year :smt022 but i am going to save my hardest cause i dont think i can wait that long..lol

Im going to make phone calls today in regards to it all.

Thanks so much for your help.

Cindy

dolphin22 Guest

Sorry it will be Monash IVF that we will be attending. I rang them up and yep its an upfront cost *sighs* but im going to save really hard. Ive got an appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning so i will beable to get the exact costs for my treatment and everything else.

Cindy

Ok just to clarify something.

With MIVF you do not have to pay upfront. You pay the portion that is the out of pocket expenses, and certain drugs and the hospital bed and anaesthetic. MIVF will send a bill to medicare for the rest of it. For example, my latest bill is $2070 plus whatever else I need. They then send another bill of $2049.95 to medicare to pay.

I'm not sure what happens at monash, but know the fees are roughly the same.

Just note that my cycle involves ICSI ($600) which doesn't have any medicare rebate, and that is a reason why it is higher than normal.

HTH
    Jo

dolphin22 Guest

Thanks Jo
    so if i was to go to Melbourne IVF instead medicare will pay for it and we just pay for a couple of things?? if so fantastic!!

The reason why i was going to Monash was because the doc i had at M.A.C.C works there as well. He may even work at MIVF also...i hope so.

Thanks again.

Hope you get to have your go really soon Cindy!

Keep us informed either way, ok.

Keen

dolphin22 Guest

Thanks Keen

i sure will keep yous informed with what happens.

Cindy

Thanks Jo,

Sorry, wasn't aware that MIVF only gets you to pay the out of pocket.

That sounds much less scary now.

Gee that would be great! SIVF make you pay the lot up front and then you eventually get a cheque from Medicare which you forward to them and they then refund you the rest... strange way of doing things if you ask me!

Keen

Interesting. Here in NZ you have to qualify for publicly funded IVF based on a points system (determined by how long you've been trying, your age, how severe the prob is etc). Otherwise is about $10 000 to do it on your own. We went from being about 2 years away from qualifying to qualifying in three months because our sperm count all of a sudden dropped off to almost nothing (so bad they froze the last lot), so was a positive outcome in a round about way!

Yeah, have a look at their website.

Jus thought I would do a basic calculation for you girls, just to get your head around it all.

Admin charge - 210.00 (First cycle only)
    Stim IVF cycle- 1470.00
    Anaesthetic - 200
    Bed (hosp) - 720 (Freemasons)
    or 248 (royal womens)

Then there is the synarel if your using it (about 100)

The anaesthetic, you claim yourself from medicare.

If you have private health insurance, this will cover some more of the out of pocket expenses.

HTH
    Jo

Actually Jo - you are very right - most clinics have details of there costs on there sites!

sedony Guest

Hi
    I have just found out that the reason why I haven't been able to conceive is that I have blocked fallopian tubes. I guess I will be looking to IVF too. Was considering going to Monash IVF but thanks to this thread I might be changing my mind as I would prefer not to pay eveything up front!!!!!!

Sedony, I'm pretty sure that Monash operate the same way as MIVF. Give them a tinkle and ask to speak to someone in the accounts department, they will be able to tell you for sure.

I just had a look at their website and unfortantly they don't have any fees, but ask you to contact the clinic for more info.

Jo

Hi Sedony,

So did you do the laparoscopy then? How did it go? If you didn't do it, how did you find out that your tubes were blocked?

Regards,

Melissa

sedony Guest

Hi Melissa,
    I did have the lap on Thursday. Aparently they couldn't flush my tubes out because of an obstruction possible near the juncture where the fallopian tube and uterus meet. At this stage the best I can hope for is that it's mucus blocking the tubes as that can be removed. I have an appointment with a Doctor called Bruce Downing, he is meant to be one of the experts in fallopian microsurgery so I am hoping he can help me. Disapointing news but at least I know. If he can't help I guess its IVF. As I am 31yrs of age I have about a 1 in 3 chance with IVF. It's more than I have now!
    thanks for asking
    Melissa

Hi Sedony,

I'm glad you decided to go ahead with the lap. As you say, at least you now know what you're up against. IVF was designed specifically to help those with tubal blockages so I hope the outcome will be positive for you. Good that you are seeing an expert microsurgeon too. You are still young and there is a lot of time to sort things out so I wish you all the best with whatever lies ahead. You could be one of the success stories in the upcoming months!

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast