Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing results scan CD11- ?convert to IUI?

Unhappy Disappointing results scan CD11- ?convert to IUI?

Hi All,
    just interested in knowing your opinions, and if this has happened to anyone else.

I have had two failed IUIs in the past and we made the decision to move to IVF.

I was put on 175iu puregon which was then upped to 250iu on CD9 which i've now had for two days, but my scan today was disappointing at only two mature follicles 1.9 and 1.8. My lining is good at 12.3.

The clinic is acting like it's OK to go ahead with IVF (I thought they woudl cancel with that small amount but doesn't seem to be the case) but they also raised I could conver to IUI if I wanted. There is a risk of coures of twins with IUI.. but the down-side is that I'm still no further along in knowing if fertilisation is even occuring....

I can see pros and cons of either converting to IUI or staying with IVF. I'm a little disappointed though that the clinic will insist on ICSI with IVF even tho hubbie's sample is good, because of the low egg numbers. I'd be so disappointed though if the egg collection was unsuccessful, or if fertilisation didn't occur.

So confused.... what do you girls think ??

if it were me, i'd go the IUI option. Yes, there is no "knowing" that fertilisation has occured, but, there is a chance you could go the expense and the physically harder procedure of EPU and not have fertilisation occur anyway. i would go IUI, and hold onto the hope that it will succeed. if you're unfortunate enough to have it fail, push with your FS for a higher dose or a different protocol for higher follie count

good luck with whatever you decide

BG

Hun, My FS called me the day before i got my BFP, and said, based on DH's latest test results we would need to use ISCI... DH was a bit bummed, but for us, the cost was the same, so we were happy to go with it, cause we assumed it would give us a better chance in the long run...

As for your situation, I am totally with the expert BG on this one. I would go with the IUI and hope for the best and then as BG said, ask for a new protocol next time. But you have to be able to live with that decision.
    for you. And All the very best.
    xo

hi deni, i am sorry things are not looking as bright as you would like them to be after all this time and emotional energy invested in a cycle. i had something similar happen on my second IVF and they did cancel just before EPU but didn't give me the chance to do either IUI or trigger and timed DTD which i regretted after the fact.

you story also reminded me of arielle's IVF cycle last year where she only had a couple of mature follies before EPU. you may like to read her journey to give you some hope of things still working out with sticking to your cycle. i just checked and it was at the end of September/October of her journal that is of interest here.

best of luck with what you decide on

xx

Hi Deni, I had a cancelled cycle in Nov for the same reason just 2 mature follies I was so devestated and decided to cancel the cycle, went home and DTD no IUI option for us, but I can say after the fact I wished that I had given those 2 follies the best chance, if they don't fertilize or continue to grow they will cancel the cycle then and you will get a refund. My thinking is give them the best chance, but only you can make that decision. As far as IUI goes, if you trigger you will know when you are going to O approx anyway why not go crazy doing the dance. We did'nt get a BFP that cycle but guess what while waiting for our next IVF in Feb we got a BFP the very next cycle and I think the reason why is that we did'nt think we had a chance so we did'nt really try. Good luck with your decision. You just never know where you will find the silver lining.

HI girls, thank you all so much for your advice and thoughts. BG and Ruf, I must admit I was leaning more toward IUI - it's familiar to me and at least I have an idea of the chance of success - but the clinic called this afternoon with the news that the FS wants me to go ahead with IVF, and they felt it would give me a better chance of success with more factors known, so although I could have argued a good case for IUI, DH and I decided to just jump in feet first and go for it! I feel quite relieved to have locked in the plan and I just hope I dont wake up out of EPU with a big fat zero.... DH has been instructed to be at my side when I wake so be ready with cuddles if I need them!!

Pam, thank you for reminding me of your story - it gives me hope that if this one isn't successful, there's still that "inbetween" natural cycle that might be the one - I'm so happy for you!

Dusty - Arielle's story is an inspiration!! Thanks so much for sharing the link and going to the trouble to find it !

I've just taken the trigger (double shot, ouchie) so it's all go ! How handy that collection falls on a friday - I get to take the next two days to take it easy!

Hun, As I said, you have to be cool with you decision, and you do sound ok with it. You are paying your FS a lot and he should be an expert... so if he thinks it is a good idea than I am all for it too. So wishing you and DH all the very very best for Friday. Many Many and growing vibes for you.
    xo

Thanks ruf. It is a big risk we're taking I guess but the clinic seem confident it's definately worth trying for. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high but also to stay positive !

good luck hun! i'm sure you'll do great at EPU tomorrow!

Hi Deni,

I just wanted to let you know that after 2 scans, they found I had 6 "small" eggs then two days later at pick up they got 11 eggs. So your body can do amazing things, don't give up hope!

Good luck!!!!
    Tish

Thanks Tish, i was wondering if that might be possible - they gave me a double trigger dose of 20,000 for hcg so I wonder if that was an attempt to mature up some of the little follies? Not sure. but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

GOOD LUCK today hun!! Thinking many good eggie thoughts for you...

Hi Deni, fingers crossed that everything is going along smoothly. I think it is a very good plan then at least you know they had the best chance. Good luck and I will be following you progress, Hugs Pam.

Deni, goodluck today, hope all goes well thinking of you

Nic

Thanks girls, apprciate the goodluck vibes! I'm back from EPU and just flopping about today at my folk's house. The procedure itself was fine and I'm only a little bit sore. They still only had two folli's but I was relieved upon waking to be told they had successfully taken 1 egg. I'm not sure what happened about the second. But better than zero, which I was worried about! So at least there is a bit of a chance, tho I have none for the freezer, so now I'm thinking grow-embie thoughts - it's going to be a tough wait tomorrow to hear from the embryologist!

Ooh deni, sending loads of embie growing vibes..

Nic

Hun,
    Hope your little one is growing well... And that you get to transfer today. Thinking of you!
    xo

All the best for you today sharon, praying that it all goes smoothly xo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast