Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Donor Insemination

Blue Sky Guest

Hi - its ole butt head again...
    I don't have an opinion on when is appropriate to tell the child (except maybe when you feel that its the right time - think it would depend on whether you think the child's is old/mature enough to understand).
    Anyway - the reason I butted in is that I remember seeing a book in my clinic called, "Sometimes it takes three to make a baby" or something along those lines. I think it is designed to help explain to children.
    Thought I'd mention it!
    cheers
    BlueSky

Hi Teagan and Sue,

I wish you both all the best and I say more power to you. You were right in saying there are a lot of kids in unhappy two parent families why can't they be happy in 1 parent families?

I so agree with you both and why shouldn't you be able to be happy and have a baby of your own just because you have been unable to meeet someone you choose to spend your life with. I am now married and 33 weeks pregnant but there was a stage when I thought I would never meet "the one" I would have definately done it on my own as I don't think being married or being in a partnership will make me any better as a parent than either of you.

I will certainly be praying for both of you and I look forward to seeing how you both go please keep us updated as I think this is an inspiring story for single independent strong women !!

Julie

Thanks Julie
    It is always comforting to hear kind, supportive comments. As much as I am very determined and comfortable with my decision, it is still a subject which can divide. Thanks again.
    As for you Butt-head, I think I saw a brochure with that kind of title on it at my clinic. Will look into it as soon as I get that
    Love
    Sue :luck:

cherishedone Guest

Sorry butting in here...

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck AI is becoming more and more popular and I have known quite a few women in your situation hon

To me personally as long as the child is loved I dont think anyone could ever ask for more from someone. I am crossing my fingers for you and I hope it works out. Please let us know know how it goes...

You are in my thoughts...

Chloe

Thanks for your thoughts Chloe
    Unfortunately, my clinic's one and only donor reached his 5 pg limit this week. So, I'm on the search now for another legal, medically cleared one. At 43, I am fast running out of time.
    Love
    Sue

Teagan Guest

Thankyou Julie and Chloe.

BlueSky, I like that, it's a really cute way to explain it.

Sue, it's a bit of a speed bump, but we'll find a way.

Hi Teagan
    Good luck with your counsellor's appointment tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted?
    Love
    Sue

Hi Teagan
    How did you go?
    Love
    Sue

Teagan Guest

Hey Sue,

Yeah...it went pretty well. She was lovely and I took a friend along for support, which was nice. It felt like quite a long session and we discussed a lot of things.

One thing she talked about, which is oddly something I hadn't thought that much about, is that I need to decide whether I would like an anonymous donor or an 'identifiable' donor (meaning the child can find them at 18). Personally, I'm not that fussed either way...but I wonder if the child would be.

It was really nice to have a chat with someone that wasn't just there to focus on the medical aspect who could answer more questions about how the process works. I have felt a bit rushed through stuff with the doctor in some ways....it was great to have time just to sit and ask questions.

The next step seems to be to ring the clinic coordinator and make an appointment with her. So hopefully I'll get to that tommorrow.

How are you doing? Sorry I haven't emailed you back yet...I've been working very long hours (trying to save).

Hi Teagan
    I'm glad you came away feeling good.
    I'm surprised about the anonymous or identifiable donor question. I thought that they all had to be identifiable in case legislation changes in the future. I think that is why there is a shortage of donors, a lot of men don't want to take the risk of laws changing and them being tracked down in the future. Fair enough, everyone has their own reasons.
    Looks like you're getting there. I'm happy for you.
    To be honest, I'm pretty upset atm. Denial is gone, anger has gone, now the hopelessness has set in.
    Will email you.
    Take care
    Love
    Sue

Hey Teagan, how are you and where are you at now??
    Have you had your appointment with the clinic co-ordinator yet?
    I'm a lot happier atm. One of my clinic's donors who had been taken off the list has been put back on. They bumped me up the list (age) so, I now have a donor. Not sure of the reason why he's now back, he had reached his pg limit, doesn't really matter. I know it's not for medical/fertility reasons. I had just advertised on another board for a donor and ended up having 3 responses. Then, I got the surprise of surprises. They have kept 1 straw for me. I start my ICSI cycle next weekend. Very excited and happy.
    Please let me know what you're up to!!! Gee, your clinic being affiliated with mine - we may have the same donor. Now, that would be great!!
    Love
    Sue

Teagan Guest

Sue, I'm incredibly thrilled for you! Wow...I'll be crossing fingers, toes and everything else for you. I'll have to go and read the other thread to find your updates.

I had the appointment with the clinic co-ordinator yesterday. It went really, really well. I had a look at the donor book and I have narrowed it down to two donors. One of those donors is in high demand (the one that is probably my first choice), so I'm not sure that I will get those sperm, but other one looks good too. I think I would prefer the first one because he has donor nariative (so I have a bit more information about him). I had a blood test yesterday to see if I had ovulated this cycle so perhaps if I hadn't we could start this month. But I got the results this morning and I had ovulated a few days ago, so I will be starting next cycle (i'm on day 19 of this cycle - but my cycle length is irregular). So I'm feeling pretty happy right now that all systems are go.

Teagan, that's great news. All systems go.
    I start my cycle this weekend so you may not be that far behind me. I have started a thread in the LT AC forum called donor dialogue if you ever want to pop in there. I started it for people using donor eggs, sperm or embees. Only because being a donor or donor recipient comes with it's own unique set of emotions in addition to the usual TTC ones. Didn't want to clog up the usual monthly progress threads.
    By the way, love the av. I have PM'd you my donor details.
    Love
    Sue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123