Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Donor Insemination

Teagan Guest

Hey Sue,

I read your post in the TTC #4 thread. I'm so, so sorry. I know there's nothing I can say to make it better but I'm thinking of you.

The appointment went pretty well. I got a bit flustered and couldn't remember the questions I wanted to ask him, but the good news is we have started doing blood tests. And the other good news is they have lots of donors and because they are a private clnic there won't be a wait should the tests come out ok, etc. The doctor was pretty brief, which on one hand is good - 'cause I was nervous enough, on the other hand I'm still a bit puzzled as to how the whole thing works, but I'll get there. I have to ring and make an appointment in a week when the blood work comes back.

That's great Teagan
    It is frustrating when you feel rushed. But, on the other hand, sometimes ignorance can be bliss!! Look at all those women who fall pregnant naturally and have no idea at all how their bodies work.
    Heaps of donors????? That's great to hear!
    Hmmmm, maybe....... IF I change my mind, I may have to make a trip to Bondi!!!
    Keep me posted and good luck
    Sue

Hi Teagan
    Saw your post in August #5. Getting a bit busy in there and didn't want to add these comments in there atm.
    I'm still "mourning and storming" as Trish says. Perfect description.
    Have emailed every other clinic in the Hunter and Sydney enquiring about donor insemination for singles.
    Have heard back from 3 so far:
    SIVF (CC) - no anonymous donors
    Westmead fertility centres - no anonymous donors atm, but will do procedure when they have some.
    Fertility First (Hurstville) - yes.
    Will see how I feel when I turn 43...
    Are you still on track? Got any more info yet?
    Sue

Teagan Guest

Hey Sue,

I understand that. The sadness at the end of the month, assisted or not, is very difficult.

To add to your list I think I read that RPA ivf unit has approx 30 donors (but it's public, not sure how they view single women and I don't know about the waiting lists).

And IVF NSW do too.

Keep me posted on how you are thinking/feeling.

As far as things are going...I was suppose to wait for about a week and ring to find out if the blood work was back...then make an appointment. But I was feeling a bit anxious/eager so I rang today...the blood work wasn't back but it will be probably tomorrow, so I made an appointment for thursday anyway .

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to chat.

Hi Teagan
    How are you?
    How did your appointment go last Thursday?
    Have been thinking of you but am back at work and it's getting in the way!!!
    Love

Teagan Guest

Hi Sue,

I'm doing ok.

I went last thursday to the appointment. The blood tests had come back, I have too much free androgen (sp?). The 2nd last cycle I had went for 44 days. Last cycle ended up being only 27 days (ending the night after I saw him)...so the blood test showed that I either hadn't ovulated or it was too late in the cycle. He sent me for a pelvic ultrasound to check for PCOS. I went to see him yesterday for the results of the ultrasound, it doesn't look like PCOS...so that's good. The frustrating thing was that he seemed to have forgotten our first conversation and I had to explain to him again that I would like DI (he tried to give me a script for clomid, and send me on my way - ummm...I don't think the prescription, however good it is, is going to get me pregnant *lol*). And when trying to explain my situation to him I think I left him more confused. But anyway he wrote me a prescription for the clomid and I have to ring and set up an appointment with the counsellor before I begin DI. The counsellor is sick at the moment so I might have to wait a little while, but I'm going to try to find out tommorrow when I can see her. So I guess - heading in the right direction.

How about you? How did your appointment go today?

OMG Teagan.. I have just had my best friend who is 39 years of age on the phone, with the same issues.. she too is trying to go through the public system ... but is still unsure wether to pursue motherhood. She is financial secure, but is desperate to be a mum. She has had two failed marriages and is DESPERATLEY SEEKING SUPPORT FROM OTHER LADIES IN HER SITUATION... If you would like to contact her, could you please email me on [email protected] and I can put you in contact with her.. She lives in Sydney and is at her wits end and dying for support. It would be appreciated if you could help her!!

Kind regards

Firemansgirl xx

Hi Teagan
    I posted my appointment info in the "different protocols" post. Too long!!
    Hmmmm, your dr not remembering your DI request is a little curious?? Maybe he's just really busy, but that's a very important thing to put in your file!!!! ](*,) Sounds like your appointment was frustrating to say the least. I'd ring to confirm what's what if I were you - just to make sure.
    Hopefully, clomid is all you'll need - that's good. The counsellor part is easy. I think the clinic you're with is an affiliate of IVFA. Is the counsellor's name Lesley? If it is, she's just lovely. Good luck and keep me informed!!!
    Hi Leisa. I don't mind communicating with your sister if she wants support. You have my email address.
    Love
    Sue :luck:

hi Suzie Q.. it is actually my best friend.. my sister has two kids.. (first month of the pill with both she falls.... ) My girlfriend would really appreciate that.. thanks..

love leis xx

Teagan Guest

Firemansgirl - Thankyou I sent you an email.

Sue - Yeah, the doctor seemed a little off last appointment. It was a few things really - not remembering about the DI was the main thing, but he also then gave me a sheet to get blood tests - which I had already had done (I sorted that out with the secretary), and when he gave me the script for clomid he gave me very brief instructions on how to use them and then said 'don't worry follow the instructions on the box'...but the chemist read his instructions as take the tablets for 5 out of 7 days each WEEK...and what the doctor had meant was 5 days each CYCLE (i.e. the script was written incorrectly). So I had to sort out between the chemist and the doctor when I was suppose to be taking them. Apart from not remembering the DI the other things weren't big issues it's just that it does become a bit frustrating when you put it all together.

But overall I'm not really that concerned because I know that it's a nurse who performs the DI anyway. And I think I have met her and she seems really nice. If I was going to be doing IVF later down the track I would definately think about doing it somewhere else.

No, the cousellors name is actually Sue I rang today but she is still unwell. So hopefull they'll call me back soon.

p.s. I'll go take a read of how your appointment went in the other thread.

Hi Teagan
    He may just have been having a bad day. It's not unusual for doctors to rely on their nurses/receptionists I suppose. If you're happy with the nurse, that's good. You'll be dealing with her most of the time anyway. You probably won't need IVF so no point in even thinking about that.
    But, it is frustrating. Especially when you don't really know the procedure yourself. :-s Did they give you a handbook?
    I think I mentioned in another post that they are affiliated with SIVF in some way. Maybe you could download SIVF's info from their website? Might give you a better idea of what to expect.
    Oh well, if the counsellor's name is Sue, it'll be a breeze. Just pretend she's me!
    Keep me posted.
    Love

Hi Teagan
    Has Counsellor Susie come back from leave yet?
    How are you feeling about everything?
    Sue

Teagan Guest

Hey Sue,

Yes, I have an appointment for the 29th now...so a couple of weeks. I'm a bit anxious about it but so far everything has been going well

How are you going?

Hi
    Glad you have an appointment. Don't be nervous about the counsellor.
    She's not there to pass, fail or analyse you. For you it will more than likely be the same as my trip with counsellor. Because my (our) circumstances are different, the main focus with me was to check that I'd thought it through - especially long term. Questions such as: What would I do if I met someone I wanted to spend my life with and he couldn't accept my situation. [-X Big deal? Love me - love my circumstances I say. Did I have plenty of friends/family for support. Could I cope with working full-time, be able to afford child care and then being on my own to cope after work. How would I deal with it if my child were teased because of the way they were conceived. :-s Kids can be teased for lots of reasons. My child will know exactly how they came into the world and the reasons why. They'll know how truly special they are because I kept on keeping on until I had them. By the time I have a child who is old enough to have people teasing them - it won't be all that strange. Funny, other parents who have kids the 'normal' way don't have to answer questions like that. Hell, they don't have to answer any!!!
    I know you have a confident approach and are comfortable with your decision so you'll be fine. Like I said before, just pretend she's me - with a name like Sue she can't be too bad.
    Take it easy.
    Love

Blue Sky Guest

Hi
    Sorry to butt into your conversation!! I just wanted to agree with you Sue - I think by the time our kids get to be old enough to be teased that IVF babies will be everywhere!! Hehehe I might make a little t-shirt for my bub: I'm IVF and I'm proud!!
    Will butt out now..
    cheers
    BlueSky

I'd like to come in & say how well you said it all Sue.
    We will all be proud just to say we have children!!

Thanks guys - butt in any ole time.

Teagan Guest

Thankyou Sue et all!

Sue, actually this issue of how to tell the child is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I do not want to lie tp the child at all, but I was questioning in my own head what an age appropriate time is to try and explain it. I remember in kindergarden (about 5 years) that I had an argument with another child when I made the observation that it seem to take a man and woman to have a baby (I had absolutely no idea what the connection was though)...I'm so curious in my own mind and to how to explain the di in concepts that a young child can understand.

The other issues are, at least in my mind, rather much non-issues....my responses would be pretty much the same as yours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast