Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EPU/OPU

Sal Guest

Hi girls, I didn't mean to scare you! It really wasn't that bad, I mean I'm up for another one ASAP and I'll actually be asking for LESS sedation than before. So it's really nothing to worry about. I just wish I was one of the lucky ones who have a lovely trip with the Fentanyl rather than just feel plain woozy.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Sal that 's okay - I didn't even know that about Fentanyl
    I personally would actually rather know what I am up for - thanks for sharing -really you are helping
    Better the devil you know .....
    or else what a shock WT sorry can't add F - DH doesn't like me swearing - I do when I am being a crazy ***** like with PMT
    have to remind him if I get preg. it goes away.....

Sal Guest

Tee hee! My sister used her pg as an excuse to be snaky for the whole nine months! Her poor DH just had to accommodate.

Sal - :smt023 see you changed your name -
    I am thinking it might be handy to keep up my sleeve
    men they can be so sweet but also bug you at times and then we need to have a secret weapon
    'hormones' excuse

Trish,

"Hormonal" is my normal state of being.

I find it saves time.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Mel, I concur. Except when I'm on the stim drugs, then devil-woman seems to fit better.

love
    sushee

Melody Guest

I dont think I realised how the procedure varies from one clinic/state to the next.

I went through Chatswood IVF Australia with Dr Quinn & it was (looking back) quite good. I spent a few hours at Hunters Hill before the procedure & then was asked to strip down & taken up to the theatre. The anathesitist (I can never spell or say that word) introduced herself & I chatted with Dr Quinn. The needle went in & then I awoke a few hours later in recovery thinking "What am I doing out here? When will they start the procedure?"

Dr Quinn had written my egg number in bold blue pen on my hand (as promised) & then when I was wheeled back down to DH we were told that the lights had been dimmed, soft music was playing & all eggs, sperm were already aquainted.

I had an egg sandwich & a glass of OJ & went home. As much as I am being lighthearted I was VERY tender & weepy that night & did feel as though I had been through the wars around my ovaries/stomach.
    I worked the next day (I owned a cafe so had too) & that seemed to take my mind off it.

I was tender for 48 hours & then pretty much fine. I hope this helps

Chin up.... it is all for the absolute BEST cause & you will look back & marvel at how brave you were. Concentrate on the end result!

Melbo - sorry I have not answered your question - I have not been back to this thread for a bit.

The fentanyl is sometimes given as a premed, but more commonly it is another drug like midazolam (from the valium family) which is given in the anaesthetic bay to 'relax' people.

With only that on board there is no way you would let anyone intubate you!!

Once you are on the bed in the theatre, they give a combo of drugs like propofol or thiopentone plus a paralysing agent like rocuronium or something like it to put you to sleep. Then and only then do they intubate once you are knocked out!!

The only time this varies is when they do an 'awake' intubation which is done with different meds and in different order and is generally preserved for people with very difficult airways or a history of problems at intubation. So unless you are one of these, you would have been asleep prior to the tube being near you.

The midazolam premed has an antianxiolytic properly as well as being an amnesiac so that is why people often remember they had something done, but not exactly sure of the how and whens.

Ooops, sorry this is getting a bit long and wordy.....

Stop lecturing Gabby.... OK.....

Bye!

Mel & Sushee - better not tell my DH about :smt077 woman
    He worries enough already what he is in for - save the surprise for later :chairfall:

I guess they don't always knock you out - Gabby - if so will they just give
    Midazolam - IVF did not mentiont theatre to me at all 8-[

Can't have a rainbow (baby) without rain (or pain)

Babyanglemum - nope I was not knocked out. I had mine at SIVF and they don't generally knock you out. I just had a bit of fentanyl and local anaesthetic in the wall of the vagina where they insert the needle through to your ovary.

Some of the other centres seem to knock their ladies out for the procedure, and I guess we were just comparing drug notes LOL!!

I would prefer NOT to be knocked out, I like to know what is going on.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Oh nooo Gab, knock me out, baby! I don't want to know what's going on down there!

love
    sushee

I am in two minds (LOL - cart me off to looney bin now and save time)

I think it would be exciting and if local anaesthetic/sedation is used more often must be bearable -OH to say I saw start of journey and to be there to end (to hold the baby of course) is a magical thought

I am over the embarassment issue - I had plenty of it when I was induced and trans vag u/s since but What if you jump when they jab ! I have strong reflexes.

LOL Sush - I think the opposite, I think I have the classical doctor petrified of thy healing disease!! I am s*&t scared of a general anaesthetic. Drug me to whatever degree just make sure I am awake enough to see and hear LOL! Wonder when I will change my mind about that.....

Embarrasment issue??? I think IVF gets you over that real quick!! Its like another person walks through the door and you feel like - 'do I need to spread my legs for you too dear??'

No wonder women go off sex whilst doing IVF - I reckon after having every tom **** and harry looking up there, not to mention probes of every shape and description, the little willies of our hubbies have no hope in hell!!

Sorry, if I offended anyone..... 8-[

Melody Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBea
    Its like another person walks through the door and you feel like - 'do I need to spread my legs for you too dear??'

No wonder women go off sex whilst doing IVF
    That is so true! When I went for my first u/s I automatically started to unbutton! #-o

Gab,

No offence taken. Seriously, I reckon I've had more sex with that ultrasound probe than with DH in the last little while.

(Sorry mods, if this is out of line, please feel free to remove).

Oh and thanks for your rundown on the drugs. I love hearing/reading about medical stuff. Anaesthesia is fascinating. They have it down to such a fine art these days.

I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself with the OPU thing ... one step at a time!

I have to say Im a bit apprehensive about the OPU. Unforunately have not gotten to that stage before, so am not sure what exactly to expect, but you guys have put my mind at ease a little, so thanks.

Not for a while yet though, so have plenty of time to get anxious again #-o

Keen

Gab, I just love the way you put it all. They say that you lose your inhibitions giving birth, but they never thought of us who have already lost it on our plight to get pg.

I'm one week out from my counselling appt now so I will be doublechecking that I do get to go to sleep while they retrieve my eggs.

How long does the epu last ?

Sal Guest

Tam, EPU lasts about 30 mins - could be an hour, depending on number of eggs, plus I imagine it's a little longer if you're knocked out for the procedure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast