Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going through IVF - anyone else?

Default Any advice from the experts...

Hi Guys,

It's been a long 12 months since I last wrote on the forum but it almost seems nothing much has happened in the meantime. Last time I wrote I was in the process of having tests to find out why I wasn't having a period (which hasn't happened for nearly two years). After lots of tests it was revealed that I just simply wasn't ovulating. The reasons weren't really known - I was told to put on 5 kgs but that didn't seem to work and just made all my clothes too tight! I have since had 3 goes at Clomid with no results. I've just finished a course of injections. Nothing responded then everything responded which meant I had to cancel this time. My Dr's strong feeling is that my ovaries are quite tricky and stubborn and unfortunately the injections may present too many risks and chances are I will have to cancel again. I'm faced with the decision of whether to give the injections another go or go straight to IVF. Has anyone had similar experiences or have any "expert" advice?

Hi Bee,

I don't have any advice to offer, but I just wanted to wish you lots of luck. I hope that everything is able to be worked out soon and that it won't be long before you've got your BFP. Take care.

belmarks Guest

Hi Bee,

I had similar trouble when I first started with the injections for IVF. Because I have polycystic ovaries, it is very tricky to get the level of drugs right, and basically it is trial and error. Stick with it, if you've got a good doctor, he'll get it right pretty quickly! I got cancelled on my first lot of injections, but since then, we've been ok. In my experience, it is better to start on a small dose say 75iu and then if nothing happens, increase it bit by bit from there. It means that you may take a bit longer with your cycle, but you will not "go over" the quota for eggs etc....

Hope this helps. It has worked for me, I guess you can only try it...

Good luck, please let me know how you get on with it.

Thanks Belmarks,

I started out on 50iu and the little fellas were progressing very slowly so went up to 75 for the last two days and they all took off. I think I would just about trust my life to my Dr so I think I'll try again. It's just good to hear what other people have been through and think!

belmarks Guest

Good luck with it all Bee, keep me posted on how you go.... [-o<

And remember if you ever need someone to talk to, please contact me Im only too happy to help out where I can!

I haven't been on Clomid, but I do know that my FSH drugs were upped every time I went onto a new cycle, in order to get better results. I started on 225IU then went to 300IU then for the last time I was on 450IU. That was all using Gonal-F

Hayseed

belmarks Guest

Goodness Hayseed, that's a massive dose!!

My cousin was on 550IU from memory.

Hayseed

havent started the IVF yet but based on what I have read that seems a HUGE dose! Did you have bad side effects? Did it work ?

KeenAs

Ahh, no side effects on what I was on, and yeah it did work. The first time round I only had 6 eggs, the second time 11 eggs and the third time 11 eggs. I was on PGD first time, flare cycle 2nd time and Antagonist the third time.

I think maybe my ovaries are a little lax and need a good kick up the bum!!

However, I pretty much always ovulate normally.

Hayseed

belmarks Guest

Wow! I cannot believe how high those doses are!! I started on 75iu and the highest limit for my clinic was 150iu.

all I can say is WOW!! :smt119

Hmmm, maybe. Most of the women I know have been on those sort of doses...much higher than 75IU anyway. But maybe it depends on the other drugs you are on as well, the dosage of the other drugs and also the sequence. I know that the last time needed to be bumped up because there was no syneral in the programme at all. I also had to go on orgalutran for the antagonist cycle.

And then, maybe different clinics have different protocols.

Hayseed

belmarks Guest

just wondering if anyone has been to any good clairevoyants? I went to one not long ago that predicted that I would be pregnant by summer, with a big belly and swimming in my pool.

I so hope it comes true.

Anyone else had any predictions? :af:

We have a girl that works on our farm and she thinks she is a bit of a clarevoiant (spelling???!!)

Anyway, she told me just before DH and I got married that we would not be married by the date we had chosen because of a range of hiccups.

We were married as scheduled.

Hayseed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12