Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much longer??

Default How much longer??

Hi everyone,

We have been told that we need to do ICSI/IVF andwe have the appointment with the nurse, counsellor and doctor on the 2nd of June at the Freemasons in Melbourne.

I am hoping to start treatment on the next cycle, which will be around 9/6.

Can anyone tell me how long it took for them to get started on the treatment after the formal counselling and nurse etc appointments?

Thanks heaps

Ali

cazzoom Guest

I would also like the answer to that one. I just found out my interview has been moved from end of July to June 1st 8-[ at the Royal Womens hospital

Cazz

Usually once they have done all your blood tests (which only take a few days), you can start on your next cycle....or depending on what day you are on of your current cycle, you may be able to start in it.

It also depends on what kind of cycle they put you on. You may need to go on the pill, you may not. You may have to go on the provera from CD19, or not... so cant be exact, but it shouldnt be too long (unless you are unlucky like me and your appt fell on CD20 and you have to start the provera on CD19 and you have to wait a whole cycle!!)

HTH

Keen

I think I'm quite lucky, everything seems to be going quick & falling into place with me. I had an initial 3 months to see the clinic but now I'm in it all just runs along.

I did my 4 IUIs back to back (1month break in between 2 & 3 for lap) now this month waiting for cd21 for testing to do ivf next month.
    It seems to be quicker than others. Not sure if it's because I've only seen the dr twice, everything else is nurses and my dr review was half way through my 4th cycle so I guess it was getting ready 'just in case'.
    The nurses at my clinic are really good & helpful. Can't complain at all.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I am interested in this question too.
    Last week 12th May - I went in on cycle day 5 but they said had to wait for AF - then start pill day 1 (due 3rd June) and then I have nurse app. 15th June - she only said I would start ? meds the next week and I was lucky it would be fresh in my mind.

The nurse app. was earliest I could get. but doesn't make a difference. The DR said they prescribe pill to make sure AF comes on right day and to plan ahead for other stages of IVF.

I had not taken pill for 13yrs - can someone remind me - isn't when you have Af the sugar/placebo pill ? :smt102 or is it last 7 days of cycle then Af comes-sorry if a dopey question

what is provera- is it like Lucrin & Synarel ?
    what does anyone know about these ? when do they start ?
    What is Puregon & Gonal-F - in stimulation cycle - when CD ? does this start ?

Thanks guys...

My appointment will fall on day 21 of my cycle, so I guess that I may need to wait another whole cycle...........damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone has more info aswell, that'd be great!!

Hi Ladies,

Trish - Yes, "AF" occurs during the sugar pill phase. I think from memory there are usually seven days of sugar pills to roughly equal out to a normal menstrual period.

The pill I am on to start this down reg cycle - Microgynon - is different. I didn't see any sugar pills in the packet, only active ones.

I'm on Puregon too for the stim phase. It looks like a biro ... literally! Easy to use.

Don't worry too much about the timing of the drugs. They will give you full details so you know exactly what you are supposed to be doing and when. Everyone's directions will probably be different, depending on what protocol they are on.

Ali and Cazz - You can start your treatment on the first day of your period after you've done all the formalities.

Ali, I'm at MIVF too, this is my first cycle and it's a down-regulated one. Looks like we will be starting a few weeks apart.

Melbo,

Well, we may just bump into eachother in the clinic and not even know it.

Good luck with your first cycle.

Please keep me posted as to how you are going.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Take care of yourself

Ali

Ali and others,

I also went through Freemasons and I started my treatments on Day 2 of my cycle. So after I saw the counsellor and nurses, I just waited for AF to arrive and then started the treatments. From memory, I waited about 2 weeks.

Like Mel, I was on Microgynan - although that was the pill I was on for years previous (when I was trying NOT to get pg!! Funny how it comes back around again!!) and started straight on the drug pills, not the sugar pills. As I said, that was on Day 2. For my first cycle, I was on a down reg which was quite lengthy. From memory, I was on the pill for about a month and then started the nasal spray (Syneral) towards the end of that month, but was on it for about 25 days or so as well as another script for the pill. Then the pill ran out and I was just ont he Syneral and then I started the injections (gonal-F) I think (?) at the end of the Syneral.

Bear with me girls, it was now about 2.5 years ago!

The whole treatment cycle took about 5-6 weeks which I wasn't prepared for, although it was spelt out clearly when I picked up the drugs from the nurses. The next 2 cycles I went on (the Flare and then the antagonist cycles) were much much faster and required less drugs for less amount of time (although more expensive! go figure!)

I can look back through my charts if you want any more details.

Hayseed

Thanks Hayseed,

The more info I have the better. I feel like this waiting for the appointment on 2/6 are taking forever!!!

What's the difference between the down reg and other types of cycles? What determines what type you start with??

Thanks again

Ali

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Ali,

A down reg cycle requires you to start your treatment usually at CD 21. You start on synarel or Lucrin until you get your period, then combine the drugs you're already on with your FSH drugs, which is generally GonaF or Puregon.

A flare cycle sees you only starting on the first or second day of the cycle where they're going to actually pick-up your eggs. This is a shorter cycle, but apparently gives the doctor less control over the cycle (how I don't know)

Also the choice of a flare or down reg cycle depends on your circumstances. Often doctors will use a flare cycle for women with PCOS, and yet other doctors will change from flare to down reg in an attempt to get more eggs (as my doctor did)

But either way, you will have to wait a cycle or so at the very most. Sux but unfortunately, waiting is very very much a part of the IVFers life, so expect to wait, and if you don't have to, it'll be such a bonus!

love
    sushee

PS why don't you come join us in the monthly thread, Ali? Loads of people, experience and support there. Just pop in, introduce yourself and start talking!

From my understanding - and Sush alluded to it - the down reg is much more able to be controlled by the drs, so they like to start ladies on that as they can fit them into the clinics shecdule. Also, the level of drugs are usually much lower. With the antagonist, there is no way for them to slow the development and the release of eggs, so they constantly monitor via blood tests (to determine if you are going to release eggs naturally) and manipulate as best they can with other drugs.

As you go along, you will find that it is very confusing to us lay people - and we have 1000% more information than the average person!!!

Also a word of warning (and this is not meant to scare you or put you off or anything), but the first go on IVF is rarely a goer. Some girls are lucky and get pg and stay pg on their first IVF cycle, but the vast majority of us do not. I think that that is one thing that was not really spelt out to me in my first cycle and I was absolutely devastated when it didn't work. I had assumed wrongly that medical intervention was going to be my saviour and so long as we could get a viable emby, then everything was going to be ok.

As I said, sometimes it does work and I hope that you are one of those. But on the same token, I guess we need to be realistic about what medical intervention can and cannot do.

Hayseed

Sal Guest

Yes, I need to second all that Hayseed has said. One of the other girls here was told by her doc that 'due to her age' she would fall pg first time with IVF. Us girls that have been through the IVF treadmill tried to warn that first-time success is not a realistic expectation.

BTW the lady who was ill-advised by her doc is now pg, so what you can expect is to fall pg, but not necessarily the first time.

Hi girls,

I've noticed they don't like to say anything much before the first cycle because I guess they never know what is going to happen with a new patient. You get your miracle patients who respond well to the drugs and conceive right off and then there are others who just need a little tweaking ...

Since I read Robert Jansen's book, my views on conception (whether assisted or otherwise) have been very pragmatic to say the least. I now realise it is quite possible to get a fertilised egg that then doesn't go on to develop or fails to implant and of course, the mother never knows. I'm trying to take the same view with IVF. The only difference is that I will have seen the blastocysts.

I think that because I am so concerned about my eggs, if we get a decent haul on this first cycle and those eggs go on to fertilise, I will be happy. At least I know we've made it one step further. Now all we have to do is try to get the little buggers to implant ...

I say this now but I know that I will probably feel sad after this first go if it doesn't work, only because it is such a long process and there may be some pain involved!

Melbo I agree I will be very sad too but I will at least have some peace in my heart that I tried .

The way I see it (and more clearly now) is doing something is better than nothing.

We will grieve no matter what - either missed chances (and this opportunity that other woman don't get becasue of finances etc) and our infertility or grieve losing our little embies.

Unless we strike it lucky and haven't we been inspired of late with Gabby and Tam , everything is crossed now for Sushee, Ann, Jo, and Bee.
    Are we allowed to sprinkle babydust?

Just had to add - Sal's inspiring achievement too - though gets to spend her IVF money on other good baby stuff instead of the IVF Dr's new car or oversea's holiday.

Are we! It should look like this ...

... dang, trying to do BABYDUST in enormous capital letters in colour but do you think I can get it to work? What the ...??????

You absolutely can sprinkle all the dust: and :bdust: you want!!

Keen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast