Thread: IUI Vs IVF

Question IUI Vs IVF

Hi guys i'm just after opinions on IUI VS IVF

I just had my FS appt and i have servre Endo.. my FS said that i would need extensive surgery to get rid of it all etc and said after getting it all there would be a good chance of me falling preg naturally, but he is more interested in putting us into IUI or IVF then doing the surgery... he thinks we would have a good chance of falling preg as we already have one DD
    He said the option is ours at the end of the day but he wants us to start with IUI as its cheaper etc.... As DP and i have been trying for over 3 years now we want to do what will give us the best chance... which we understand is IVF (we do have the form to start IUI but am wondering if we should be going to IVF instead)

So i guess my question is what made you pick either IUI or IVF??? (if you had a choice)
    Do you think you made the right choice if you picked IUI before IVF???
    How many goes did it take to get a BFP???
    Other then the EPU and Embryo transfer how much is different between IUI and IVF???

TIA - I'm hoping someone can help... its really a how new world to us

Nikki - all the IUI will do is force you to ovulate, and put DH's swimmers in the right plce. if you have tubal damage from the Endo, it won't help at all cos the egg won't get through - or if you do have partial damage, the risk of ectopic is greater

i don't want to say to not do IUI - our Gremlin is on her way because of an IUI - but i'd be asking the FS WHY he thinks IUI will work in your circumstances...

Hun, I just came on here to post exactly what BG did

I haven't done IUI personally because it wouldn't have helped us.. my tubes were blocked, so there was no way the eggs were getting through... and because of the damage from your endo I would imagine you're in the same boat as far as blocked tubes, etc?

I would definately be asking the FS as to why he thinks this would work... thinking of you hun xxxxxxxxx

Thanks BG and Holly - yeah im pretty confused about it myself... Tho my tubes are fine (a complete 360 from my last lap) im honestly not sure if they are damaged tho or not... he didnt mention anything about it
    Both my ovary's are stuck together to my bowel apparently.... but my uterus and tubes are fine so im guessing thats why he thought IUI might work.... i really have no idea but he said the choice is ours

I have just sent off an email about IVF... i should get a reply tomorrow hopefully

Thanks again

Nikki, my FS never suggested IUI, maybe because my DF's sperm count is almost non existant and he needed to pluck them out with a needle after a versectomy reversal didn't work ie the sperm weren't coming out like they should be (I ovulate on day 14 of every cycle).
    We did one round of IVF in My last year and fell pg straight away. I only lost my little boy because I had a pretty big fibroid that went ferral with the IVF drugs and the pg hormones.
    Good luck hun, if you're not too sure of what to do, please get a second opinion.

given your ovaries have adhered to your bowels, i'd not try IUI myself - it just sounds too unlikely that it will work (IMO) cos there is a LOT to overcome. IVF sounds like a more sound idea cos they can pick up eggs even close to the adhesions that otherwise wouldnt' get through the tubes...

as i said, this is just IMO, but it sounds wrong to me...

Thanks Beata - I'm so very sorry to hear you lost your little boy

BG - Once me and DP got out of the appt we were wondering the same thing... we sort of felt like this appt was pretty rushed which is so not like our FS... i dont think IUI is for us either, im just hoping the FS gets back to us soon so we know whats going on and get started asap..... i hate all this waiting

Thankyou again for all your help

Nikki,

Is there any reason why he didn't just get rid of the endo & seperate the ovaries & bowel while he was in there?

When I had my first lap when I was still very young, one ovary was attached to my bowel & one ovary was attached to my appendix... he seperated them during the lap... wondering why he may not have done this at the time?

I'm in agreeance with BG - there's too much in there to muck around with & IVF would seem the less risk option to me... but if he had 'tidyed' up in there perhaps the IUI would've been the better option seeing as how the tubes/uterus are fine...

Fantastic to hear the tubes are good BTW - with the other endo being so severe in other areas, its amazing!! YAY!!!

Let us know how you go with the email

Holly - DP asked yesterday why they didnt remove it... and he just said that they honestly werent expecting that as my last lap came back tubes are blocked but everything else is a.o.k... he said that seen mine is so bad it would have been there before i had DD... They did release my left ovary but couldnt with the right one... other then that i dont think they done anything

As ENDO is a whole new world to me i still dont understand how it could be so bad and not affect my tubes, as from what i've read thats a main thing to happen.... I'm disappointed our appt seemed very rushed yesterday.... i have so many questions to ask and just feel so confused atm

He also said that if IVF isnt sucessful in a year (or after a few tries) i'll have to have an op to remove it all.... he doesnt think it'll need to come to that tho (given my age and already had a DD)

Oh he also said my ovary's seemed quiet enlarged.... anyone know what that means??? He said ENDO could be in there.... would that cause more probs?
    Also (here come the flooding of questions..... im not sure if anyone can answer tho)... I've read that endo spread's??? Will mine just keep getting worse and worse??

Hi Nikki,

Sorry to hear about your endo and the decision you have to make.

I too had severe endo and had to have a laparotomy last year which took 5 hrs as I had a bowel surgeon, a urologist and my gyno all work on me to get rid of it all. My FS told me that IVF wouldnt work unless I had the op. Afterwards, I wasnt given the option of IUI but my DP sperm is a little iffy too so we went straight into IVF.

Endo can spread. With every AF it gets worse. I had a lap about 8 yrs ago in which they removed the endo and then put me on medication to stop AF for 6 mths to help it. However it eventually came back and hence my operation last year.

Good luck with your decision. As other girls have suggested, Id be asking more questions about IUI as you dont want to waste more time than you already have. If doing IVF will get you your BFP sooner, then Id be heading done that track

Take care,

Tania

Lovenhope Guest

Hi Nikki,
    I just saw your post. Sorry I didn't realise you had an appointment yesterday. My only advice is, even though there is a chance the IUI might work. The higher risk of ectopic would be something I would rather avoid (but I'm a little biassed about that at the moment).
    Take care. I'm thinking of you.

Nikki, thank you for your lovely words .
    I would highly recommend researching the options and then writing down ALL your questions and then asking them all! Every time I saw my FS I brought in my diary and asked heaps of questions, and he was really impressed that I researched the whole IVF thing. Then when I got home I though of some new ones and then asked them the next time I saw him. Being well informed and well read on your options, it makes it less scary and less stressful. Good luck hun!
    B xxx

Thanks again ladies

Tania - yeah im quiet confused as everywhere i read they remove the endo before starting ivf.... i've just starting an ENDO IVF thread in the endo forum..... hope someone can help me there... maybe seen my uterus is fine etc that FS thinks IVF will work for me..... im not sure

Sandy thanks so much hun

Thanks Beata.... i usually know exactly what i'm going to ask my FS before visiting him... but seen i honestly thought he'd say that i needed another op i really didnt have any questions... so it took me by surprise

Well i got the email back i've been waiting for its full steam ahead for IVF..we booked a FS appt for tomorrow but we dont need it as he is sending everything we need (makes life easier thats for sure)... I'm scared and nervous and excited and hopeful all in one... im just that it works

Thankyou again to everyone

Lovenhope Guest

Sounds positive Nikki. Things are moving forward.

Nikki, I already posted in your other thread,but just noticed this one as well. Our FS originally suggested IUI, but that was before my lap and the endo was found. At our appointment after my lap, he said we would move onto IVF, but could attempt IUI if we wanted. I asked him about the difference for us, and he said that we would have about a 2% chance I think it was? with IUI, and around 50% with the IVF. The fact that we already has a DD, was a positive, and even when we had our clinic interview over the phone, our nurse said exactly the same about our chances being good "because we had been pregnant before"

ooh, just noticed you are full steam ahead for IVF.. goodluck, looking forward to reading some BFP news from you in the near future

Nic
    Last edited by nic; March 27th, 2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: removing ticker...sorry..

Hey Nikki, good luck in your IVF journey and I hope and pray it is a very short one!! Yes, it's scary and very exciting all in one!!!!
    One more good advice I can give you (I know it's usually much easier said than done) is to stay as positive as you can, I know that makes a huge difference. And the love & support you get from your hubby/partner is very important and vice versa.
    Good luck!!!
    B xxx

Nic - yeah i think thats why my FS said to do either IUI or IVF as we've already had one DD (naturally) and seen he is pretty sure i would have had my endo before having DD he thinks our chances are pretty good... He gave us a 15% chance with IUI (which me and dp thought that wasnt really good enough) and i think a 40% chance with IVF (i could be wrong abt that percent) so thats why we wanted to go to IVF

Beata thanks once again hun..... Its pretty hard to stay positive sometimes when things are looking so down but i truely have a wonderful partner and will try my hardest to stay positive

Nikki, these days the success rates with IVF are very good, even with the transfer of frozen embryos. My FS told me that the success rates with thawing out the embryo are somewhere around 60%. I have one frozen bub on ice and hopefully my transfer will take place in early June.
    I am a living example IVF can work first time. I had 12 eggs collected, 11 fertilized and 7 became embryos. Because I'm older, the FS reccommended a 5 day old balstocyst transfer. I had one fresh transfer which became a BFP and the other one is on ice. So you really just need one hun!!! I was hoping for a couple more frozen bubs, but I know I am very lucky that I ended up with 2 blasties, and later found out that that's an average number anyway. I pray that you'll have your miracle very soon
    B xxxx