thread: IVF and intercourse?

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2011
    Perth, SOR

IVF and intercourse?

Hi,

Just wondering if your FS said anything about having intercourse or no intercourse after embryo transfer... Our FS didn't say anything and I had a look online and found a couple of websites that said not to have any intercourse for about 2 to 3 weeks. Hence I haven't been game enough yet, I don't want to risk it...

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

My clinic says it makes no difference whatsoever.

Most clinics that recommend no sex until a bfn or you see a fetal heart rate are US clinics where IVF is big business and highly competitive. Those same clinics also usually recommend strict bed rest for three days following transfer.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

the paperwork we got said to only wait if you underwent PGD - due to the fact they put back a generically "good" embryo, and don't want you having a natural pregnancy occur in there as the quality of the embryo couldn't be guaranteed kwim??

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Interestingly our FS told us to go home and DTD - she said a female orgasm helps recreate the normal environment (assuming you have an obliging partner) of normal conception and helps with implantation. We did both times and had two BFPs

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2011
    Perth, SOR

Thanks for the speedy replies ladies!

Like I said I wasn't told anything about intercourse or not after IVF and have been abstaining since transfer 2.5 weeks ago. We did get a BFP, but are still waiting to see if embryo is viable as the HCG levels do not seem to multiply as it should... Hoping next blood test is better news...