Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term TTC & Assisted Conception - March 2007 #2

You're so right there, BG! Sometimes I get more from the chats than I do from the treatment. I'm actually happier to go talk things through with my acupuncturist and chill out for an hour than to use the councellors at the clinic. Sounds odd, but it has got me through so many stressful situations, and I think in some ways when it comes time to reduce the frequency of treatments once I'm pregnant I'm really going to miss it.

BW

hehe.... ...been wondering why it has been so quiet in here the last two days...just realised I hadn't subscribed to the new thread.....doh!!

too much to catch up on but welcome to Mon and Smudge and welcome back to Carrie...hopefully no one is her for too much longer and we can all board the pregnancy ark.

Mon I do have to second the acupunsture.....I have been doing acupuncture and naturopathy for about the same time as BW and I have noticed a huge improvement in my overall well being....like BW I also travel over and hour each way to see some lovely ladies up closer to melbourne. I had an acunpuncture session this afternoon and she said that my pulses were the best she ahd seen them since I started there and they sounded favourable for the big BT on Monday so here's oping.

I am still having niggly Af like cramps and sore BBS but she said that is most likely from the crinone as well so try not read anything into them...yeah right...as if!!! I tell this is the longest TWW I have ever done...it is really doing my head in knowing that there is actually a bun in the oven and praying that it sticks...is so much worse than just not knwing like in anormal cycle....grrrrr!!!

Ah well ...Rock on Monday I say....EJE, maybe we can be belly buddies together with our precious little PGD graduates!!!

Awww Ė I had just writed a post and lost the lot!...so here goes again
    BW- Fantastic news that you start the puregon. YAY, what a relief for you! The acupuncturist sounds great. I suffer from bad sinus pain, even worse now that they have taken the ďproperĒ Sudafed off the market.
    EJE- I thought it was you, but thought Iíd better make sure first. Itís great to see that things have progressed so well for you since we last spoke! Were are you in the tww? Itís such a nerve racking time isnít it?
    MON-Goodluck with your cycle. I donít really understand all the different meds like lucrin and puregon, or all the blood tests that everyone seems to have to have. My ICSI seems straight forward compared to this: the pill for a month, syneral, gonal F and the trigger injection, no blood tests (except after the tww), only scans.
    KIM- The holiday sounds like a great idea! Are you in the tww atm?

With my first IVF ICSI, rather than having to use the gel daily in the tww, I requested the 2 injections which was so much easier. Just wondering if other people have been offered this as it seems so much easierÖand less messy!

Carrie, I presume the extra TWW injections are HCG booster shots? Interesting thought there - the crinone is probably the medication I'm most scared of, particularly now that I've got the injections under control. Although, the reaction I had to the last HCG shot is making me think the crinone will be the better option for me.

It really is a great feeling to know that I'm starting tomorrow. Getting to the puregon makes me feel like I'm finally actually starting IVF - the synarel and lucrin haven't given me the same feeling. It's just a shame that today my knee has decided to hurt like crazy! I'm not sure I want to take naprosyn at this stage!

BW

Acupuncture seems to be the way to go, doesn't it? i spoke to my chiro, who also does acupuncture. we discussed acupuncture in conjunction with the IUI treatment for fertility stuff, and he's happy to go down that path if we choose - i just have to be able to commit the time every week for at least 13 weeks - and with the chaos that has been my life of late i just can't seem to find the time!!!! now that things are settling back down, i'll be finishing work earlier every day, and his clinic is only about 5 minutes from work, so i might be able to get around to it. i'd find it very difficult to see someone else at this stage but with Mark, it would be pretty ok (been going to him as a chiro for almost 11 years, so i kinda trust him!!). going back to see him next week, so might have a chat then...

Hi guys!

What crinone? after my EPU Ive had to take four pregnyl shots, one every three days as well as take a claxene injection every night!

Kim, crinone gel is a pessary that is used to keep progesterone levels up during the luteal phase of an IVF cycle. My clinic hasn't said much about it at all (my cycle information sheet just says that I'll start it on the night of my egg collection and continue until finished - it lists dosages of metformin, puregon and pregnyl, but not the crinone), but it sounds icky from what I've read/heard so far. How many times per day is it usually used?

BW

BW crinone gel comes in a single use tube...there are 15 in the box.....it is simply a controlled release form of progesterone and the standard is one tube each night before nye nyes!! Witht the other icky pessaries they have a wax coating which accumulates up there and tends to come out in a big blob every now and then or so I have heard. I am finding the crinone quite easy apart from the misleading crampinees and sore BBs

My FS just asked whether I wanted to use the gel or the have the injections. I chose the injection.
    This time around the nurse just gave me the gel and didn't even ask about injections, so I requested them which she said would be fine (i'm not sure what they were called). The nurse said that I had to have 2, but I'm sure last time I only had one....however I do have a very bad memory.

Carrie I was reading up on the injections and the current thoughts are that the blood levels of progesterone do not relate to the uterine level of progesterone. Studies recently have found that the progesterone absorbed through the cervix wall does something special in the way it is absorbed (technical term I forget off the top of my head) that maintains the local level of progesterone in the uterus. I think it said that to get the same level of response you would have a whooping hugmungous dose by injection to achieve a similar result.. If you want I can dig out the info for you.

So the crinone isn't as yucky as I've been imagining? Just how much mess are we talking here - pad or panty liner?

BW

LOL BW! Doesn't sound very nice does it???
    Hmmm Mel, that gives me something to think about! I'll talk to Dr McBain about it. Although it did work for me last time.... but I need all the luck I can get too, so would appreciate a look at the info, but only if it's not too much trouble.

Melbel Ė all the best for Monday Ė sending you lots of sticky vibes!

Carrie Ė I coincidentally went through a cycle of IVF at the same clinic with two of my girlfriends, and only one of us was offered the injections over the Crinone. She said that as she had lower levels, she was not at risk of OHSS so that is why she was offered the choice. My other girlfriend and I were prescribed the Crinone only for the TWW. Apparently, the nurses said they would prefer to prescribe the injections but as the risk of OHSS is higher in some women, they arenít able to. Not sure if the chances are higher with the injections of the Crinone.

BW - I found the Crinone gel to be ok Ė panty liners did the trick just fine!

Sorry Mon - what do you mean by lower levels and OHSS?

I think that I had higher risk of ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (I think thatís what is stands for) than my other friend, as I think my estrogen levels were much higher than hers. I didnít realise I even had the other option, or that it was an issue, until my friend told me she was offered the injections instead. Itís amazing what you find out through other peoples experiences!

Carrie...this is the only one I could find from memory...I can't remember what search terms I used...arrgh

Quote:
    The recent development of a new sustained release vaginal progesterone gel, Crinone 4%, showed that using less progesterone (because of the sustained release effects) nonetheless achieved endometrial results similar to findings made with IM progesterone administration or in the menstrual cycle. This led to the unexpected discovery of uterine trophicity of vaginal progesterone. In a prospective trial, Fanchin et al. (4) demonstrated that every other day administration of 1.1 g of Crinone 4% gel containing 45 mg of progesterone induced full endometrial decidualization, despite progesterone levels in peripheral blood that were in the "luteal phase defect" range (peaks at < 5 ng/mL and troughs at ≤ 1 ng/mL).

The discrepancy between low peripheral levels of progesterone and full effects on the nedometrium led us to postulate that some of the progesterone administered vaginally is directly transported into the uterus through a "first uterine pass effect" (5). In a recent study (6), we showed that vaginal progesterone administration resulted in higher uterine tissue concentrations of progesterone and lower peripheral blood levels as compared to IM progesterone administration. These results also refuted the objections raised by Miles data hypothesizing that the study findings might reflect a contamination of the biopsy specimens by progesterone still present in the vagina. the vaginal gel Crinone confirmed the prior work of Miles et al (7) that used locally made vaginal progesterone capsules. The results also refuted the objection raised to the Miles data that higher uterine tissue concentrations following vaginal progesterone administration resulted from contamination of the uterine aspirate by progesterone still present in the vagina. In Cicinelliís study, endometrial tissue was obtained from hysterectomy specimens which, thus, ruled out any possible contamination.

Some doctors also don't like to give women at risk of OHSS the injections because they progesterone is in such a high concentration that it can affect the ovaries adversely. I guess it is another case of horses for courses in this wonderful world of assisted conception.

Hi ladies, very informative. That made for interesting reading.

Mon - I'm sure you have made the right decision for you choosing to do a natural cycle. All this talk of pessaries I'm certain you feel better already

BW - that is GREAT about starting Puregon!! You are so right about the spray etc not feeling like you are really moving. I find it's the stim action that really gets the adrenaline pumping! Good Luck with the pen. I have PCOS and was started on 100iu for 5 days and currently on 200iu . What dose are you starting on? Here's to beautiful follies!

Kim - that is a fantastic idea having a hol..my girlfriend has been at me this week to go away at Easter and I was really torn because no one knows about our IVF and in theory that will be smack bang on our BT results (if I ever get off the stims!) How do you explain without 'explaining' to your best drinking buddy that you just don't feel like it..Consequently, I let her know that I wouldn't be able to fit it in... I think you have the best idea at least either way you aren't in a work environment and can take it as it comes. Let's hope you aren't drinking and you are relaxing and smiling with your pg!

Melbel - GOOD LUCK for Monday - I'll be looking out to see how you get on. Thinking of you!

Carrie - Dr McBain prescribed my medication yesterday because they could not get hold of my FS..I have not met him in person but have heard such great reports about him.
    You are exactly the same as me, pill, synarel, stim, etc and only scans for the monitoring side. I think it must be something to do with our personal bloods etc and our 'lot' I remember from the tests taken early on everything was pretty much in order apart from the insulin..but I see alot of other ladies have prog tests. I'm not sure either..I'm happy, I loathe needles! ahh the joys. Good luck to you sweets

As for me, just kicking back hoping my follies are growing up! I noticed on my sheet I have been prescribed crinone for the 2ww..cross fingers I get there!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanks for that Mel. I definately wasn't at risk of hyper stim last time! I was on the injections for ages because my follicles weren't growing!! Only 2 sleeps left for you!

Smudge: Hi there! Dr McBain is great, I feel really confindent with him. You're about 2 days ahead of me in the cycle. I'm scheduled for my scan on Thursday.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast