Thread: Maybe Baby the movie - Laugh or Cry?

Question Maybe Baby the movie - Laugh or Cry?

Hi all -
    Anyone seen the movie by Ben Elton, Maybe Baby (with the actor from House in it?)
    I started to watch it last night but quickly discovered (after about 15 minutes of it) that I wasn’t in the right groove, I've been feeling rather flat lately.

Just want to know before I try again, is it likely to make me laugh at the situation, or is it going to be too close to the bone and be a movie that tries to be a comedy but fails dismally for anyone who is experiencing anything like the couple in the centre of the story?

I guess it depends on a person's mood at the time. What did you girls/guys think?

I just read the book. A friend lent it to us knowing we were starting IVF and she had just read it and thought DH might get something out of it. I am yet to watch the movie.
    Um... I dont know what to suggest. The book was sad and funny at the same time. If you have read Ben Elton it had his style to it, but some of the stuff he made light of was done in a good way, some a bit over the top, so taken with a grain of salt it was OK... but it might cut too close to the bone if you are not in the right place to deal...
    I really think it depends on your mood...
    I will watch to movie soon and let you know....

xo

I remember watching the movie before knowing that we were going to go down a similar path - and whilst it is a really good movie - I found it depressing. I'm not sure that I would trust myself to revisit it now - unless I had lots of red wine and some supportive friends around.

The book is a lot better than the film - the book actually deals with the emotions as feelings, rather than a plot or comedic device. Although I thankfully haven't needed help it did help me to understand the processes involved and some of the jargon without having to ask insensitive questions.

I cried at the book but not the film, but the book also made me laugh a lot more than the film - which scored laughs mostly because I knew the bit in the book.

Thanks so much for the tips girls. It';s a weekly so I might wait til after my IUI this week then see how I feel.. or maybe i'll give it a miss altogether!! The book sounds good though..
    Last edited by deni; November 6th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.