Thread: Metformin 500mg and Clomd 100mg

SamanthaLynn Guest

Default Metformin 500mg and Clomd 100mg

Anyone been on both Metformin and Clomid? I was on 50mg Clomid for 5 cycles. The first one I got pregnant and miscarried twins at 8 and 10 weeks. Since then none of the other four cycles of Clomid 50mg have worked. My dr recently put me on Metformin 500mg twice daily and Clomid 100mg. Metformin isnt getting along with me because I have been sick since I started it yesterday. I am not sure how both of them work together.. I am just hoping it works. I have been ttc for almost three years.

hi there Samantha, yes I have been on both together and concieved our Julia who is now 7 months. We started TTC in 2004, after TTC for a year and no success we saw my GP and got all the tests done and ultrasounds to check my ovaries and was told I have PCOS but no cysts. We were refered to Sydney IVF for treatment. Dr Mark Bowman was wonderful he prescribed Clomid of 50mg and after 14 months of TTC we concieved on the first cycle of Clomid but unfortunately had a missed miscarriage at 8 1/2 weeks, our baby lived for 6 1/2 weeks. He said that I probably m/c due to low progesterone. So we took a rest from TTC and started a few months later after Dr Bowman recommended me taking Metformin (500mg) to fix my insulin resistance and progesterone levels and after 22 months after TTC we concieved our beautiful little girl Julia!! using a combination of Metformin and Clomid. So it took 4 cycles of the combination of Metformin and Clomid together to concieve. How much metformin are you taking at the moment? I was told to start on 1/2 tablet for a week until my body got used to it and then up to 1 tablet a day then a week later 2 tablets a day etc.. until I was taking 500mg a day.

Hi there Samantha,

I am on my first ever cycle of both Clomid and Metformin. Luckily I am managing to tolerate the Metformin pretty well so far. I have heard that the slow release version can be easier to tolerate for those who have difficulty with the "usual" one if that is any help.
    Cheers
    lily

The slow release metformin is easier to tolerate. But, regardless of which type you are on, you should always build up the dose gradually. Otherwise you will get very sick. Drop back to only one tablet, or even half a tablet each day, and when you are ok with side effects, increase the amount you take.

I've been on clomid - apart from serious anxiety problems while on it, it did nothing for me. But we also have MF as well as the PCOS so it wouldn't have helped anyway.

BW

SamanthaLynn Guest

I am on Metformin 500mg tablet twice a day.

It has given me diarrhea. Sorry TMI.

Yes, Samantha it will do that. It's important that you reduce the dose back to only one tablet per day, or even half a tablet per day, wait for the diarrhoea to subside and then increase the dose.

I tolerate metformin fairly well (I'm on two 850mg per day at the moment), and have been on it for a year, but I've always had to gradually increase my dosage. I'm actually really surprised your doctor had you start on two tablets per day straight off.

BW

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaLynn View Post
    I am on Metformin 500mg tablet twice a day.

It has given me diarrhea. Sorry TMI.
    :hugs: that you are not feeling well. Defaintly take the advice of taking it slowly. I started on 1 tablet (500mg) of metformin and was fine. I went up to 1 and half, then worked up to 1000mg (2 tablets) yet I wasnt well in other ways and as my FS wasnt too long away I decreased. I had the tummy upset, felt extremely tired as well.
    Ive still been on 500mg and now back up to 1 and half tablets and are having tummy upsets. Yet previously on 1 and 1/2 I was fine. Take a note of what foods you are eating and whether any of those make things worse for you.

SamanthaLynn Guest

Thanks for the responses.

No problems, Samantha.

Why don't you join the TTC with clomid &/or metformin here? http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=33906

BW

Hi Samantha,

I am on 1500mg of Metformin (three slow release tablets at dinner time) and 150mg Clomid. I ovulated for the first time (since coming off BCP) last cycle with this combination. The other ladies have pretty much said it all. You definately have to build up the dose. I was on one tablet for a while. I then took two tablets for two weeks and my FS told me to introduce the third tablet at that point but he also said that if it gave me any problems then i was to drop back down for a little longer. Luckily i tolerated Metformin perfectly and never had any side effects.

Belle i am on my fourth cycle of the combination, i hope i have the same luck as you...

Hi Samantha,

I agree with what the ladies above have said, but I wanted to add something - I wanted to warn you against being too quick to ask for the extended release Metformin - apparently it is not as effective as the regular stuff. So please do give your body enough time to get used to the regular stuff before thinking of asking for the XR version.

I started taking Metformin a year ago - I started with half a tablet and increased by half a tablet each fortnight. Mostly I have had side effects when I have eaten something that hasn't agreed with Met in my belly (and then I vomit... yuck!). Have vomited 5 times since starting Met. But if I am careful about what I eat and when, then I can generally avoid vomiting. (I am taking 2000mg daily of the regular stuff now).

If you want more tips about what to eat to avoid side effects, I can give you some advice that I have learnt from my body - but everyone is different and my tips may or may not be helpful to you. Anyway, let me know if you want to know.

SamanthaLynn Guest

Thanks ladies. I appreciate each and everyone of your advice.