Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TTC & Taking Clomid &/0r Metformin ~ April 2007

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default TTC & Taking Clomid &/0r Metformin ~ April 2007

This thread is for those members that are Trying To Conceive with the assistance of clomid and/or metformin.

If there is anything you would like to discuss about the thread or have any problems then please contact one of the moderators. All emails/PM's are treated confidentiality.

Your moderators of this forum are
    Sarah_H - [email protected] Admin
    sushee - [email protected]
    tiggy - [email protected]
    Cailin - [email protected] Admin

Your old thread can be found here

iM going to be the first to post, I often dont come to this thread as when I first started in AC, I was just a LT TTC and kept chatting in there.

Im still unsure about the metformin and as people have said, on the next appointment I will be asking about slow release. Ive been feeling really tired (this is still only on 1000mg) and today ahve felt light headed, dizzy. I think im back to the place where increasing even further is just plain scary.

Sorry, just a quick selfish post from me today. Had my FS appt this afternoon - and was hoping that he would be very happy with the 6.5kgs I've lost and would let me start clomid again in April, but he told me that he wants me to aim to lose another 15kgs, then go in for an ovarian drilling surgical procedure and a lap, then we will use clomid after that. So in the meantime he suggested going on the pill to try and regulate my cycle and stop the erratic bleeding, which I said no to. So if my bleeding problems persist I have to go back in a few months and get some progesterone tablets to return things to normal. And of course I have to continue on my 3x50mg metformin dosage.

It's taken me two months to lose 6kgs, so going by that it will take me another 5mths (6mths if i think about easter eggs) to lose 15kgs, THEN schedule the surgery, THEN start clomid again. So it doesn't even look like I will get pregnant again this year - atm I feel like getting off this rollercoaster ride of TTC for good. It isn't meant to be this hard, right? I just walked out of his office out to the reception area where there were a number of pregnant women waiting and burst into tears - how embarassing. I'm sorry for being all negative and selfish, but I just need to get it off my chest, IYKWIM.

Belinda, first let me just say that losing the weight you have has been a great effort. Shame on your FS for not recognising that! Has your FS given you any pointers for helping you to lose the weight?

I have typed up one of the papers my FS gave me with regards to diet, exercise and weight loss. I'd gained 3kg in the course of TTC once I stopped taking the pill. I managed to lost those 3kg reasonably easily. But I also had a very stubborn 5kg that I had gained a few years back while having to take prednisone for my arthritis. NOTHING I did would make that 5kg budge. Until I started on the programme from my FS. That 5kg is now gone... and appears to be gone for good, I've only gained 1kg so far with the current IVF cycle, and it appears that most people gain more than that.

I'd always known that low carb and low GI were the way to go. But it wasn't until I started the programme from my FS that I really looked in to the amount of carbs I ate regularly and investigated GI stuff more thoroughly. I'm not following the programme any more, but I still follow that way of eating for the majority of the time. Weekend pizza splurges and loads of hot cross buns aren't undoing all that hard work.

I would be happy to send this paper to you, if you want a bit of help in losing that weight. It's still not going to be easy, it will take a lot of work and exercise, and it will take time to get used to the diet changes, but it has worked for me, and it appears to be working for some of the other girls with PCOS too. Let me know, and the file is on its way too you.

BW

Hi ladies,

Belinda - I'm with BW, losing the weight that you have is a great achievement and your FS should have recognised this.

BW - Good luck with your next blood test (I have been lurking in the LT TTC thread also)

Summer - I'm sorry that you are having such a rough time with the Metformin. I myself have no knowledge of this drug as I have only had dealings with Clomid.

Penny - Congrats on O'ing, now get on with the BDing.

Well, AF arrived today with a vengeance. This is her second visit since I was started on Clomid and they have definitely been more painful.
    I am supposed to start on the third cycle of Clomid on CD 5, so I guess I am back on the ride.
    Does anybody know how many cycles of Clomid you do before looking at other options?
    Well I have my Taekwondo grading tonight and I feel really crampy, so AF couldn't have picked a worse day to arrive (Not that any day is good when TTC)

Hope everybody else is well and good luck to those in the 2ww.

Hi everyone!!

Miss Belinda - I think it's brilliant that you lost 6.5 kgs. Any lost kg is good!

BW - pick me!! Can I get a copy of this information about diet and exercise too please? Do you need an email address?

ATT - you have my sympathies...

Flying visit - talk soon!

No problems, Gargy. I do need an email address as I had to type it up in a word file. If you email the hotmail address in my profile (msn contact), I'll then email you the file. I don't use msn much, but it makes a good spam trap to keep my real email clean.

ATT, I hope you did ok with your grading. I can't really comment on AF changes from clomid - the one and only time I tried it I had severe anxiety problems as a side effect and ended up having my longest cycle ever - well over 100 days, and that was ended artificially in the end. We're IVFing now, but no doctor would be willing to let me go near it again because of the anxiety issues. If it's making you ovulate, you're certainly a step ahead of me. I think that they generally go with 6 cycles of clomid, so you've still got a way to go. I may just be pulling that number out of the air, though.

BW

BW - Thanks for your advice. I have sent you a PM with my email address. The FS just said to keep up with my gym workouts and Low GI diet.

Doesn't he realise that I would have lost the extra 15kgs if I could have, that I don't keep it on for the fun of it. I put on 9kgs with taking clomid for those 5 months. That's not something I am looking forward to again, plus the extra weight when I fall pregnant again. *sigh* I am seriously thinking of going back to my FS in Bowral (who I was seeing up until I fell pregnant last year) even if it takes me nearly 2hrs to get there.

ATT - I have always been told that I could only take clomid for 6 consecutive cycles. I was reading and article on the POSAA website last night that said that you should only ever take clomid for 12 cycles as it can increase the chance of ovarian cancer - but it didn't go into any further detail.

Thanks everyone for your congratulations on my weight loss. I know in the past I have lost 6.5kgs in one week by radical dieting (and put it back on nearly as fast), but this time I have been just aiming for the 1/2-1kg loss a week through exercise and diet, so I appreciate it more, if that makes sense? I'm not worried about having to lose the weight, it's more the waiting game that never ends.

Hi Everyone!

Belinda, I think it is awesome that you have lost weight!! Congrats You should feel really proud of yourself. It is so hard to do so well done!

ATT, how did you go at the grading? My FS said that I would only try Clomid for 6 cycles. However, it doesn't seem to be working for me so I dont think I will be on it that long. I have also read that if you use it for too long it can have an adverse effect on your fertility.

Penny, how are you going? any more news after you O'd?

Hope everyone is well
    SAM

Morning all,

I passed my grading - yay! I now have a blue belt. It had been a long time coming. I got to the belt level I was at before last night four years ago, then work got too much and I gave it up. I had wanted to get back to it for the last couple of years, but had been putting it off until after we had a baby. This year I decided I wasn't going to put it off anymore and just went back (luckily they let me continue from my previous belt level). Also my DS wanted to start, so now we go together - He passed his grading too.

Thanks everyone for the info on Clomid cycles. I have an appointment with my gyno next week, so I guess I will ask him about it also. We have already been given the forms for IVF registration. It always makes me laugh when I ring for my results and to find the next step because the secretary always says 'Oh you ovulated, so just continue on that dosage for the next cycle'. I was ovulating before the clomid, so I am unsure why they are pleased that I have ovulated and that the level I am on seems to be working. Although having said that, it has lengthened my luteal phase, so I guess it is having some effect.

BW - I will email you as well as I would also like a copy of you document on exercise and diet.

Sammy - How are you going with this cycle? Any results yet?

Hope everyone has a lovely day

Hey ATT, I had the second scan on Monday night and still no dominant follicle. My FS said to wait 3 weeks and if AF didn't show up to call him and I might have to take Provera again. When AF does come I will start 150mg Clomid to see if that has any effect....if not I am going to have a laproscopy (sp?) and then start on injections.
    SAM

no worries on emailing info out - I will do it when I get home this evening. The file is on my home computer, not my work computer.

BW

Hey Sammy - I am pretty sure the spelling was correct. A laproscopy, hysteroscopy and tubal dye studies were my first port of call before starting on clomid. Did AF show after your first clomid cycle or did you need the provera? What CD are you on now?

BW - Thanks for that

Hey ATT,
    I needed Provera the first time...I had a weird AF too, it came on 6 days after the last Provera tablet and then the next day nothing but came back the next and then again the next day nothing and then came again the next day. I rang my FS and he said to count the first day as CD1 and go from there.

Today is CD24.

What is a laproscopy? I thought it was the dye in the tubes?

Thanks
    SAM

Hi Sammy,
    A Laproscopy is another name for keyhole surgery. The poke the laparoscope (i guess thats what it is called) into an incision made in the belly button and have a look around and check for problems such as scar tissue, endometriosis and fibroid tumours, and to see if the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries are abnormal in any way.
    I'm sure plenty of others around here have had this procedure.

Hey Sammy
    I just remembered that there was a post about laparoscopy's not long ago.
    Here's the link
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ad.php?t=33110
    Hope that helps a bit

Belinda, Gargy and ATT, the file has been sent to all of you now. I may have goofed up with one of the BCC addresses, so let me know if you don't end up getting it and I will re-send.

BW

BW - the new sig is gorgeous! it's great that you can still smile about everything that's going on!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast