Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Sunrise" spreading the word about donor shortage

Default "Sunrise" spreading the word about donor shortage

3 cheers for the "Sunrise" program on channel 7 (6am - 9am). :smt038
    This morning they interviewed Dr Frank Quinn from IVFA (NorthShore) - my doctor.
    They were discussing the extreme shortage of both sperm and egg donors. There is a possibility that a lot of clinics will have to stop offering that service - that's already happening. They have people on their egg donor waiting list who are looking at 2 - 3 years before they get a donor.
    I have just emailed Sunrise thanking them. Anyone else want to rally the team????? Let's go girls We need to raise awareness of this situation and the impact it can have - Sunrise is a great way to do it.
    Not sure if I'm allowed to post their website here but PM me if you can't find it (it's pretty easy).
    Sue :luck:

katanya Guest

I just watched this segmant too. I think it is really positive they are spreading the word.

Made me think again about the idea of whether I would ever donate one of my own eggs. Unfortunately I just cannot come to peace with the idea of one of my eggs being used and a child of my biological heritage being raised by someone else..I really completely support the idea of egg donorship, but I don't think I could do it myself. (I probably wouldn't be elegible anyhow as I am over 30)
    I feel so passionately sad about women who need this kind of support, but think it would be the wrong thing for me, as I dont have mch biologocal family (I'm an only child) and I think I'd be obsessed with looking at children to se if they were my biological child..

I know this might seem selfish to those of you who are in this sitution, but it's unfortunately how I feel, perhaps after I have had all the children I want then I could donate..

I hope ther are more people ot there who don't feel like me..

Default CLARIFICATION

Hi
    Thought I should clarify. When I suggested support, I didn't actually mean in terms of donating. I just meant to contact Sunrise and reinforce the need. I think there are probably people out there who would be comfortable donating, there just isn't enough in the media about the situation. I guess what I'm on about is raising awareness - that's all.
    Katanya, I totally understand your feelings.

katanya Guest

Oh I know Susie, it's just watching this brought up those feelings for me, I am very keen to support the program and get more media attention to it, I really hope those who have different feeling on this to me will donate.

I will email Sunrise right now!

go girl :smt041

katanya Guest

Done..

I've actually thought of handing over any left over eggs once I've finished IVF - if there are any left! I figure that I'm already down to donate all my organs and then some :shock: when the time comes. I think after having so much difficulty ttc ourselves I'd be only too happy to help out another couple.

Sue
    I saw the segment, it was great to provide awareness. I did have a chuckle to myself cause I thought "thats Sue's doctor" small world..lol
    I have always thought about doing one cycle to donate...just my eggies. I was lucky that someone went through intrusive procedures for me and I want to give a person the happiness I found in having a IVF bub.
    Bec

Hi ladies, so great to see your responses.
    I hope they do a revisit on Sunrise soon. Trouble is, I usually leave for work at 7.30am - you guys will have to keep me posted!
    Thanks so much.
    Sue

One day i would like to donate - however have been told by doc that because of my extreme reaction to FSH, I should be very very careful. Plus, as you would understand, in the meantime Im busy getting eggs for myself!

Have emailed Sunrise to thank for their support. The more that is known about it - the more chance there is of donors coming aboard.

Thanks for emailing them Keen. That was my only intention - that people in the media/general public have a heightened awareness and are overwhelmed by responses.
    I can't say that I would have felt comfortable about donating my eggs. But, now that I need donor sperm - it's a different kettle of fish!! With the possibility of needing donor eggs looming overhead, everything is changing!!
    Good to see you too, have been wondering about you. Are you still on track for your transfer around 27/28th?
    Love
    Sue :luck:

sure am Sue \/

everything's crossed for you.

:smt022
    I phoned my clinic today to get some info and to register for my next cycle (October).
    The nurse said:
    "We have a bit of a problem. We have no donor. The one and only donor we had has reached 5 successful pg's. We have to keep the rest of his 'donation' for those families. You have to wait until we get another donor, then wait another 6 months after that for the medical all-clear. Just keep ringing us every couple of months to check".
    It's a bit more than "a bit of a problem for me". I'll be almost 44 by the time there is another donor who has been cleared - if at all.
    There is only 1 other clinic on CC and they will use known donor only. Even if I had someone I felt I could ask, it's still another 6 months for medical clearance with them too. I can understand the successful pg limit. But not now!!!
    I am shattered.

Sue, I really feel for you, it's a bit of a no-win situation either way.

Blue Sky Guest

Sue - am so sorry petal! I hope that the sunrise thingo touched someone and has encouraged them to donate!

Thanks Blue. Looks like I'll be able to race from bus stop to bus stop all the way around Australia....6 times.....before I can hop back on. You'll have 2 kids by then!!

God no Sue! What can you do now? Don't you dare give up! There has to be another option - I hope this isn't it for you honey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast