Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sydney IVF Raises Prices

slyder Guest

Default Sydney IVF Raises Prices

Sydney IVF have upped their prices (as at Nov. 1) to the equivalent of export earnings of a small country.

[All figures approx] Initial stim cycle payment was $5700, now $8750. Out of pocket after rebate variable between $1500 - $3800 depending on where you're at with the safety net. The rebate stuff isn't definite until Nov 1 when Medicare release their figures, but imagine paying nearly $4000 for a stim cycle. This has really wrecked our night.

With a FET it was $2220 up front, and now will be $3300. Rebate variable between $400 - $1750.

They claim to be the best, but with prices like that people are going to go elsewhere I reckon. Unfortunately unless we want to travel 400km for every appointment, then this isn't possible for us.

Booooooooo Hooooooo.

We were right on track with our savings for January!

Bastards!

I am off to open a bottle of gin and a bottle of scotch for DP - don't think I will be particularly good company for a while

I don't understand.

Our total from Sydney IVF in July/August was $8571.70 so to me it doesn't look like any increase. Just FYI, here is my post from early August with the breakdown straight off our invoice.
    Last edited by {sarah}; October 15th, 2007 at 07:09 PM.

Sarah, I remember when I was pricing out the different clinics in Sydney, that Sydney IVF had different prices at their regional clinics to the Sydney ones. I can't get the SIVF web page to load at the moment to double check this, though.

BW

Ok the lid is back on my gin bottle.

I had assumed if Rols' went up by $3K then mine would have as well and there is no way I can go close to 10K. Doesn't seem to have gone up though. Although thinking I might move to the Newcastle clinic - they are heaps cheaper than Canberra! I can't imagine how they justify having the Sydney clinics twice as expensive as Newcastle.

damn!

i think each SIVF clinic charges different rates as ours in canberra has been $6303 for each IVF cycle each year, but we have to pay an additional $950 to a private plastic surgery clinic where the EPU is done (although they have just moved premises so perhaps this will change too).

i really like my clinic but a huge fee rise seems unfair. is any justification given rols?

TL do you need an excuse for a G&T?

dusty

slyder Guest

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough in my haze of horror. I believe they are making all the clinics the same price. So our regional clinic will be the same as the inner city ones. Sarah, I recall your post at the time and thought the initial payment was a bit nasty (as compared with ours), but now it's across the board.

slyder Guest

Dusty, only justification from my initial scan of the letter is that they think they rock the world. Due to them rocking the world, they can charge a lot.

slyder Guest

Sorry, that was a bit glib. I'm just cheesed. I can scan the letter at work tomorrow and send to anyone who would like it. Basically, they are saying due to their new whizz bang freezing method which makes their frozens almost as successful as fresh, their wicked research and their PGD greatness, their prices must rise.

They also say they welcome our feedback.

Dear Sydney IVF,

You suck. I hate you.

But if DW gets pregnant I will love you forever.

Sincerely,

Rols.

oh rols i hear your 'cheesed' off mood loud and clear

wow that is a huge price hike. gosh it will be almost double compared to what some other clinics charge. wonder if my letter is waiting at the PO Box....

slyder Guest

It's hard to know - go to another clinic (if you don't live at the back of beyond) or suck it up and believe their claims about world domination.

The only other clinic here does 2 day transfers, and is heaps cheaper. But maybe you get what you pay for. Plus, our old school friend and housemate is the scientist there, and I just couldn't do what I did with the scientist at our clinic and that was to deliver my sample on EPU day, and then have a big discussion about sperm and eggs and whatever else as my little cup sat there on the bench in front of me. So embarrassing. But, our scientist is so cool.

much like you Rols i am captured by SIVF due to my not so good (understatement) experience with a FS at the only other clinic in canberra. while canberra is small enough luckily i dont know anyone there personally
    i actually really like my clinic and will pay the prices as we want this baby and money is not going to get in our way, but it will just hurt a bit more when i hand over the CC!

Ooooh ok I understand now. So maybe the price for us for next time will go up as well? We're at Liverpool which is slightly cheaper than the city clinics, not a lot but enough. Unless they are dropping the city prices to be in line with Liverpool hahahaha.

LOL Dusty - you assume that there was tonic involved! I seriously had to think whether I even needed to bother with the glass!

I will be interested to hear if you get a letter - we probably won't get one because its been a while since we were in there.

Rols - My DP loves your letter - I think you summed up his feelings entirely

Frankly, those prices make me feel ill. Suddenly feeling all warm and fuzzy toward MIVF. Jaw droppingly scary those prices. Good god. They'd want to be more than whiz bang world dominators. I'd want nothing less than miracles for that. Am sorry to those affected, like its not hard enough already eh?

I've never understood why their fees are so much higher than other clinics.

And I beg to disagree on the 'you get what you pay for' justification. We went with a clinic who's fees are MUCH more affordable and had success on our first cycle, so needless to say I LOVE my clinic!!

I would be interested to see a break down of Sydney IVFs stats in comparison with other clinics....for those prices I'd want a guarantee, written in liquid gold, that I'd be pregnant at the end of that cycle.

I feel for anyone who is forced to pay their fees - talk about adding insult to injury....

blizzy Guest

We pretty much have no other choice than to use SYD IVF in wollongong, as it is closest to where we are, and that is still just over an hour away
    With the extra cost, it would still be more beneficial for us to use them rather than taking extra days off work to travel to sydney for appointments

slyder Guest

Willow, fair call - I was just theorising, but your story is encouraging.

From a quick glance at their claimed stats a while ago I think they can back their claims, but for us with a fairly clear cut case I'm just not sure it's worth it.

One of the BB girls reminded me of some of the facts for the only other clinic here which is 400km away (round trip). Like blizzy, the days off work and extra travel costs would negate to some extent the big cost savings, but it may be worth it. Hell, this other website says a full stim cycle is only worth $450 with full rebate and a FET only $30 with a full rebate. How is that even possible!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast