Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactless Doctor vent

Thumbs down Tactless Doctor vent

Hi all,
    For the last few days I've been feeling really off my food - as I have been feeling nausea for a great deal of each day. I've had cramps in my lower abdominal region - and just feel blah, to sum up. I decided to see a Dr to find out what was going on - as there must be a reason for this (I wasn't suspecting PG - as I'm still unsure about 'o' time in my unregular cycle).
    I tell Dr symptoms, he asks 'are you TTC?' - i say 'yes, for over 12 mths - I need help in that dept too as we really want to start a family'. Dr says 'here - give me a urine sample please'. **This is the part where my hopes sky rocket that a BFP could be on the way***.

I give the sample to the Dr. Very quickly Dr replies "nup, you're definately not PG - you must not be doing it right" and goes on to laugh about it. %$&@!!!!
    I reply "excuse me?". I thought I'd mis heard him. Dr replies "you are not PG - there is clearly something wrong with you - oh and it's probably just a bladder infection. Your symptoms are not similar to that of a bladder infection, but I'll perscribe you some pills to take twice a day just in case I'm wrong, and I'll give you some pills to help stop the nausea". Goes on to say "oh, I threw out the urine sample so you will have to come back next week and provide me with another one so I can send it off to the lab for testing"..........

When I had to provide the urine sample I'm thinking - gee if the Dr thinks I'm PG maybe I have a shot at reporting a BFP! Not only does the crush my hopes, he tells me we aren't BDing properly!!!!! Any other shocking horror stories!

Leesa,

What an a**! I don't have a story to share with you, but i just wanted to say that Dr seems like a complete pr**k. I hope he isn't your regular dr! I would definately worry about taking something he has given me considering he doesn't know for sure that is what you have! Can you get a second opinion?

Oh Leesa...what a horrible consult...you poor thing!

Such an insensitive thing to say...what a bloody idiot!

Can you see someone else?

LT TTC is such a tough thing and is certainly not helped by doctors who have empathy deficits!!! You can have all the intelligence in the world, but if you don't actually know how to communicate with others, it's not worth alot!

I hope you have better luck in the future...take care!

I can get a second opinion - but with work it's so difficult to get time off. I had today off so it was an opportune time.
    I don't have a regular Dr - as I've been getting moved around the country side with work...I wish I could find a good one!
    Any hints where I could start looking?

Oh my gosh! I can't believe your dr!! I would see a new dr next time!

Leesa, maybe someone in the SA Local member discussion can recommend someone to you.

i definitely would not be going back to that doctor. I was going to say, maybe he was joking, but if he was, that just makes it worse IMO.

Good luck I hope you can find someone else!

I agree with caro, find another dr!! i was be devastated too...

*Gasp*! Leesa, I don't know how you didn't let rip at him! What an Ahole!!!! Definately get a second opinion if you can get time off work. I'm not sure that I would be taking any medication prescribed by this doc - especially after his comment!
    I don't know where in SA you live but I know that there is an afterhours clinic on South Road in Morphett Vale. I can't recall the corner it's on (it's been a while since I've been over there!) but it's opposite the saddle shop....near blockbuster. I hope you can find a good doc soon!

MG

Hi Leesa,

Oh my gosh!!! Can you believe that these people, namely "Doctors" actually went through uni and actually practice I have had nothing but bad experiences with Doctors, the worst having being diagnosed with Crohn's disease and put on steroid tablets for 2 years, when in actual fact, I had something completely different and needed an op to fix the problem. That taught me to always get a 2nd opinion. The last thing anybody needs, especially when seeing a Doctor, is to be laughed at and humiliated. I hope you find a better doctor soon and get the right results.

Best of luck

Hi Leesa,

I'm so sorry you were treated this way. I agree with everyone - I've learnt over time that if a doctor has no idea either in terms of medical treatment or in terms of bedside manner the best thing to do is to walk away and find someone else.

Personally, I also stay away from Medical Centres unless it is something basic like a cold or the flu. I find that doctors in these places don't have the time to listen.

Try going to someone a friend recommends - we found a brilliant Clinical Psychologist this way. But go in with reservations - another friend recommended a gynaecologist/obstetrician who caused us major problems.

Leesa, your doctor sounds nasty! What yukky bedside manner. I'd go see a doctor who is mroe udnerstanding and respectful! I hope you get your BFP soon.

What a moron!! Leesa, after he said that you should have looked at him innocently and said 'oh, well can you tell me how to do it correctly then?'

Even if he was joking, it's totally inappropriate to joke about fertility issues, particularly if it's not a Dr that you have a long-term relationship or rapport with.

And frankly, he just sounds plain lazy. If your symptoms aren't similar to a bladder infection, then he should be trying to find out what the REAL problem is ... not just prescribing medication willy nilly.

Ugh - I feel so annoyed for you!

Thank you ladies...
    As I've been all over the country side with work I've not had a set Dr..So my mum has recommended one to me and I'm going to try to grab an appointment with him tomorrow.
    I am also thinking very hard about acupuncture and a natropath - anything for a BFP!

Leesa some doctors are b**tards, you poor thing..i would have just let fly and told him to get a life..but something similar happened to my SIL. She went to her doctor and told her she was not feeling right got asked the same questions about TTC and she said yes for 6 months now and her doctor poked her in the tummy and told her it wasn't a baby just FAT! she run out crying and went to another doctor 2 weeks later and found out she was indeed PG 8 weeks...good luck with your new doctor!

take care

Oh Leesa, you poor thing. Unfortunately another useless gp rears its ugly head. I'm sure he was trying to be funny but obviously he was way off par. Ignore him, honey, i'm sure you're not doing it 'wrong'. In regards to his diagnosis (or lack there of) I would definitely seek another opinion. First of all, the symptoms you have described above called be a bladder infection but would need more info, it could also be a number of other things which antibiotics won't help. I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience, hopefully you will get a better more appropriate response from this other dr.

what a prat! just cos he's academically intelligent enough to finish med school doesn't mean he's got the social intelligence to practice.

good luck getting an appointment for tomorrow. hope you're feeling a little better and that the new doc takes a decent look at why you're feeling crook and why you're having issues ttc

Debbie Lee Guest

What a pr!ck!!
    Change doctors and lodge a complaint with the clinic he is from (if possible).
    Honestly... what kind of moron says that?? "You must not be doing it right??". FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!

Narelle - OMG @ your sister's doctor!! Where do these people get off???

spreckemily Guest

I have a shocker....I went to my family GP when I first suspected I was pregnant with Emily. The doctor took the test, came back in the room and said

"Pregnant.......do you want to keep it"

WTF!!!!!! DH (boyfriend at the time) nearly went ballistic!!!!

When Dr followed me out into the waiting room to talk to the receptionist he gave us both a filthy look. Found out later he DISAPPROVES of babies born outside of marriage!!!!

I'm a BAAAADDDD girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast