Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What dose of Puregon /gonal F did you start on ?

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Default What dose of Puregon /gonal F did you start on ?

:smt100
    I am wondering what is normal starting dose of Puregon or Gonal F

I hope it is the answer to my question is NOT - how long is piece of string?

The nurse just told me my dose is 300iu does this sound too high
    I guess dosages are based on weight /age and other factors -is this correct ?

I think your string analogy is pretty much the answer...everyone is different. With GonalF I started on 112.5 both goes and the highest I got to was 225 just before trigger.

Katem Guest

Hiya,
    My first cycle was 150iu then increased to 225iu Gonal F.
    Second cycle was 300 iu.
    Third was 450 iu.
    Fourth was also 450 iu.

I know you don't want the "how long is a piece of string answer"..... but there are many variables. As I understand your age and particularly FSH will play a role.
    I have the impression that there is a bit of guess work especially in early cycles.

Hope this helps

Katem

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Trish

I started on 100iu and got 6 eggs
    Next cycle I was on 100iu and got 7 eggs
    3rd cycle I was on 100iu and did not respond
    4th cycle I was on 200iu and got 10 eggs, of which 4 were immature.

I am 30 kgs overweight and older (by reproductive standards) at 35. I think that this is more a doctor's thing, in that some will weigh the odds and risk a slightly higher dose in the hope of getting a good number of eggs, but other doctors (like mine) are conservative and start with a lose dose and work upwards.

Who knows why they make the decisions they do. I don't think it's weight/age related.

love
    sushee

I am 38 (still just) so maybe going high due to my age but I am only 60kg -
    and they didn't measure my FSH levels and they only do blood test on 7th (6 days after starting ) and then scan on 11th July

thanks don't know if good or bad thing I would rather fewer quality eggs than too many and be overstimulated

Sal Guest

Trish, I was on 150ui all the way through to trigger and I got 7 eggs.

I'm surprised your FSH hasn't been measured anywhere along the line...I thought it was a standard thing that IVF docs want to know (if your FSH is high then that is an indication of diminished ovarian reserve and resistance to stimming).

I'm under the impression that the first cycle is mainly guess-work, although PCOS women usually start on a lower dosage due to risk of OHSS.

Weight must play some factor, as bodily fat inhibits oestrogen (so I read somewhere) but I don't think there is such a science to the dosage.

thanks Sal
    I don't have PCOS but that's interesting about measuring FSH levels I might ask why they don't tomorrow
    and ask them to tell me what the risks of hyperstimualtion are and how they are going to monitor me

My first IVF cycle is now, I was on 125IU of Puregon.
    Got 11 eggies so that's been good.
    I wouldn't have a clue about how they work it out.

I just had first dose - 7th July I have bloodtest and depends on whether those results are in range - maybe I will have a scan next day - my birthday too.
    Told my DH don't want anything else except YKW

Everything I wanted to ask went out of head ](*,) #-o with Nurse this morning - I hope it is start of something good

My first cycle I was on 150ui for the first few days then dropped by half each day until the day before trigger (when it was down to about 13ui) when I was cancelled.

This cycle Im starting on about 75ui.

Im 26, and weigh about 60kgs.

I would be asking for monitoring though Trish - hell, you pay enough!

I started on 225IU, then 300IU, then 450IU.

It was all using Gonal-F.

Hayseed

Keen, I was wondering about your OHSS and what happens with the follies/eggs. You said there wasn't pick up but I have this awful thought what it would be like with all them 'hatching'.
    Do they wither away before that happening?

Keen do you have PCOS or did they give you reason why you had OHSS or were you just good responder

Today they said they do a scan after Bloodtests on 7th if out of normal ranges - but not sure which way either too low E2 or if high

How did you feel when / before they realised you had OHSS Keen ?

I read everywhere about drinking 3-4 litres a day - what do others know about this ?

Sal Guest

Trish, you'd be on the loo all day if you drank that much! I naturally drink a lot of water, but don't make the 3-4L mark! Did you mean for OHSS? Because if you get that the fluid accumulating in your belly does mean that you need to take in serious fluids to keep your blood thin enough.

Well Trish I was on Gonal F 225 and I grew 30 follies and they got 20 eggs. My dose did not change and I had 2 BT's one before and one during plus the u/s.

Tam B -you are young one too - look at the great result
    I am very cautious about everything having been a nurse and knowing especially in kids everything is weight based
    The unknown variables are individual reactions in IVF I suppose and old age :-k

Sal
    I will have to re-read the website where I read it to be sure I drink a lot of of liquid per day (decaf Tea) and water so i would easily make 3 litre mark
    Not sure about why still you need to drink water ? physiologically

Trish, when I met with the nurse after EPU she gave me a list of things to do, one of them was to drink 3 ltrs of water, etc a day. It was to help get all the hormones back to normal.

thanks Tam - how are you feeling

I will start practicing drinking from now

still got to check the website for more info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast