Thread: Any ideas

mooshie Guest

Question Any ideas

okay well after nearly 9yrs of being a full stay at home mum, i am now going to dip my toes in and try and find a job. my dh is no longer working shift work so i am looking at doing work in the evenings probably from around 8pm till no later than midnight, i do need to get some sleep and get ds to school in the mornings lol.

so what can i do - well i am a mum i can do anything lol, seriously tho i think i am pretty good on a keyboard so i was thinking of some sort of data entry, i used to work with a guy whose wife worked after hours doing all the data entry for a bank - that was in the city tho so probably a bit far. i am in the east/sth eastern suburbs of melbourne.

so what do you think? throw me some places i can look at, i have typed up a resume and i am ready to hit the internet and start applying or just picking up the telephone and ringing around.

i have already looked at australia post on line they have some casual night mail sorting positions but the hours are from 1am to 6am, which i don't think will work as i do need to sleep at some stage lol.

ideas???? i was thinking of maybe getting a gaming license and applying for a position at a hotel in the pokie venues but i am scared of robbers coming in (am i lame or what) this is also the reason why i thought of maybe at a service station but i am to scared some crazy will come in with a gun lol.

okay open to some suggestions, throw them at me

ta - i want to save save save so we can have a family holiday EVERY YEAR,

gaming venue at night is great money and I would be more worried about robberies in a service station to be honest.

Supermarkets have night fill with great money too. Speak to Tracey who works at Cadbury in Ringwood...is that close to you? She knows about their night shifts

Hi Mooshie

I'm having a bit of a brainstorming moment here, so I'm just giving any ideas that are coming into my head!

Have you thought about doing something from home - being self employed? If you're able to do data entry and the like, then maybe you could offer data entry type services? Maybe typing up resumes for people? Do you have stuff around the house you could sell on ebay? All you need is a computer, an internet connection and a digital camera.

How much do you like oroning? :biggrin: My mother HATES ironing and a lady comes around to pick it up then drops it off the next day all done. Mum likes her a LOT! I'm not sure how much she charges per basket.

You're not lame in worrying about being robbed - I used to be a bank teller and was robbed, so I can understand the fear there! On that note, I would avoid working at a petrol station like the plague!!! (that's me personally, and I really feel for those who work there night after night - scary!).

Otherwise, what about night fill type jobs at supermarkets? I'm not sure of what type of hours they keep though, but I'm sure they're after hours.

I hope that helps and good luck in finding something that suits!

Hello when I returned to work initially I spent some time as a medical receptionist (only had clerical experience beforehand) then after that I got work in an in-bound call centre.

The big agency call centres are always looking for staff (but sometimes want ppl for evening shifts) as well as banks (ANZ has a call centre in Melb) and Government depts. Think about what skills you have (from life as well as jobs) and then translate these into a skills-based resume. Some ppl love the work, some ppl hate it, but its a definite option for evening work. I'd just say be picky and don't go for an outbound call centre which are usually sales based.

BTW if you have been out of work for >2 years caring for children, the Job Network places have a return to work program to help you put your resume together and also to identify suitable positions to apply for. I did this and it was the resume help that let me crack the code and I've been happily employed ever since.

What about something like Macca's? I know it seems like its only for teens but DD works there as a casual and there are quite a number of mums who work during the day or night shift. They seem to treat their staff fairly well.
    I think call centres are a good idea too, although not ones selling things LOL that would be depressing gettting hung up on all the time!
    I would avoid pubs, service stations as well too scary. What about waitressing or kitchen work? Nursing home as an aide?
    DH works for Aus.Post and the night sorters get quite good money but as you say the times are wrong for you.
    Good luck

spiddles Guest

Mooshie - The company I work for have a call centre in Melb that is open 24 hours which have part time positions going time to time. Not telemarketing or sales either.

Let me know if you are interested and will give you some more details!!

mooshie Guest

thanks everyone

hmm spiddles, you work in insurance from memory don't you - sorry if i may be wrong. before having children i was in the insurance industry first as a broker then as an underwriter.

i was also thinking of cadbury and nightfill.

i hate ironing lol and i think the home based options are just a bit to hard, i have researched heaps over the years and it all seems quite a bit dodgy.

thanks marydean for that info do i just contact centrelink?

thanks again everyone
    Last edited by mooshie; January 23rd, 2007 at 07:36 PM.

If you are looking for a FT job (after 1 year you can drop back to pt), DH goverment department have been constantly recruiting for the past 2 years

It pays pretty well, starting salary is around 42k

yep mooshie, contact centrelink and ask for a job seeker number, and to be linked with a JNM (job network provider) and they are the ones who will help you with finding employment.

mooshie Guest

thanks yael

no not at all looking for full time - i need/want to be at home to take ds to school and pick him up etc, full time is just to hard when it comes time for holidays etc, and it is something we have always wanted to do and that is to have either parent at home for the kiddies, thanks anyway for the suggestion

danni - thanks may contact centrelink tommorrow, i have been on the phone a bit this arvo and got some ideas, looking at a heap of websites tonight.