Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: family assisstance

Tracey,

Sometimes the doctor can be slow in notifying the immunisation register, that you have in fact had Indah immunised. This could be the only problem as they (c'link)can get the info merely by refreshing your record, or, overriding it once they have sighted the documents.
    Then again, maybe the people you are dealing with only have surface knowledge of the computer system. This is such a huge problem. Staff are just not trained enough, or the stupid gov't decide to reduce costs by cutting staff and offering redundancies THEN realising that they have just lost all the staff with any decent system knowledge. they try to remedy this by then taking on more staff and not giving them full training.
    e.g I worked in FAO, had excellent training (before the cuts), was an expert in shared care, all FTB and CCB, and vast knowledge of the required legislation. When I returned from mat leave they put me in the Newstart (dole) section. WTF??? I had no idea what I was doing half the time and no training. Meanwhile the FAO section was struggling with stuff that would take me 15 mins.

I really enjoyed working there at the start, I could take the time to explain things to people properly, I had a ball sorting out the reconciliation and giving people money they didn't realise they were entitled to. But that was then.....

Rant over

From reading what Tulip and Christy have said... I suspect that we may be getting underpaid?
    My DP earns between 50 and 55k, and I earn nothing.
    My DP has an investment property (still paying the mortgage) from which he collects rent, however we pay rent in our house here, and our rent here is about $50/w more expensive than what we get back from the investment property.
    And my Centrelink payment is $160/fortnight...
    Do any of the experts here know if this sounds about right or not?

Does anyone know if Mark`s name goes onto some Dairy Farmer`s Shares and onto the property if this will effect our family assistance?

Up till now his parents names where on everything now since FIL has passed away MIL wants Mark`s names on a few things but we`re worried that it`s going to effect our payments, he earns under $30,000 and this will not change, actually he earns less then that as the farm hasn`t been able to afford to pay him since December but anyway does anyone know if by putting his name on the shares and property will it effect our payments?

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

at belly belly, i think we are so lucky to have members like Lula2 and Shannon and whoever else i've forgotten, on hand, who are willing to give insiders info on this "minefield".

It is so frustrating to hear your story Lulu2, people like you who SHOULD be behind the counter (if that was your desire, and you had good childcare, flexible hours - all the other things working parents need), cos you understand it and view it as a public service, - all the reduncancies of experienced staff, stinks of mismangement of human resources to moi. (And govt wanting to pay younger people instead cos they're cheaper).

I think the Family Assistance stuff is partly there so the unemployment figures are made to look artificially better than they really are. The window dressing put on it is that the lovely leaders are looking out for families. I think they have self interest at heart, cos more people looking for paid work leads to higher unemployment figures. (I realise not all mums fit in this category, but i am talking about the women who either do or have to get paid work.)

I read a quote in the media yesterday that income earners under $40,000 will no longer pay tax. I don't believe this for a minute, but it would be nice to find out the REAL thing. (We come into that bracket and it made me laugh). I think they were confusing the thing about the capping for either Family Asssistance A or B being raised from $33,000 to $40,000.

Sorry, having a cynical morning here. Steps off soapbox.

Yep Ambah: we actually decided to sell our investment property and put the money in shares. What was happening was despite the fact that I wasn't working at all any losses resulting from the investment property were listed as "income" by CentreLink. They don't seem to care if you stash your money in shares though. Has made life soooo much simpler for us anyhow.

jojozep Guest

Deejoy - my best advice to you is to walk into any Centrelink office, or phone the call centre and request an appointment with a FISO - (Financial Information Services Officer) - they're job is to explain how different investments will effect your centrelink payments

Thanks Lulu, I actually have a friend whom works there & she has spoken to someone at the branch we had our child care receipts too & they have sorted it out & I will get my refund next week...
    I cancel our payments as I get bonuses during the year, I also get a pay increase every Feb & DH does overtime sporadically. But I always asy we earn a minimum of $10,000 more than we are at the time, because i never know what my payrise will be or what my bonuses will be.... Last year I got a nice lump sum.. this year due to them not cancelling it I will only get a little bit, but better than paying anything!!!!

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if a HECS debt affects Family payments? DP finished Uni June last year and earns approx $40K atm.. i think part of his income goes to paying that off but when i start recieving benefits will part of my benefits be going to his HECs also? Or will our incomes be combined as a total to the government and maybe will he get less in the bank as the more he earns the more he is taxed?

Oh good.. thanks Shannon

FTB is not an income, it is a tax break.
    The FISO has excellent advice, especially if you have shares and stuff, or have a farm. Therefore the gov't will probably sack all the FISO's.....

Can someone tell me cos Im confused as have now heard conflicting information. When we are doing our Income Estimates for the financial year do we include the money from FTB as income? Or as I am a SAHM do I just put in my DH income and mine as $0?

Ta

Jo

Not sure if this has been asked.. but my babys due in September. Prior to leaving work between July and August i will earn approx $8000 before tax inc holiday payout. Will that $8000 make my FTB payments less during the 06-07 financial year, than it will say the 07-08 if i dont go back to work or earn any other income?

FTB is not earnings.

If you are sure you will not earn any money (even from shares etc), put your income as zero Jo.

Whatever you do Kell, do put in the income regardless of how it will affect your ftb payments. The tax dept cross checks and you will get stuck with a debt. You will get more FTB part B when your income is lowered.
    FTB part B goes on the estimate of the lower income earner. If you are single you don't have to worry about it at all, you get both.
    SO - yes your FTB part B will be slightly higher if your income is zero, on 07/08 rather than $8000 or so, but you must be sure you won't have an income for the entire year.

You can only incur debt if you choose to get ftb fortnightly.

Keep the questions coming - I have a direct line to c'link if the ?? get really hairy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12