Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long did you stay at work before giving birth?

Thank you everyone for letting me know what you are doing or have done.

I am going to start taking every wednesday off a week from about 32 weeks, up until I leave (38 or 39 wks). I have a desk job, so think I will stay as long as possible, and having the wednesday's off will make it easier plus give me time to start organising myself.

nelliesbelly Guest

I finish work in 2 weeks at 34 weeks. I have had a lot going on in my personal life and feel I really need time before first baby arrives to rest and prepare mentally and practically as much as I can. Ive had insomnia for over 2 months and I really need to wind down and try to get more rest so Im leaving early.

I'm planning on working for as long as I can, mostly because I doubt I'll be entitled to any maternity pay at all, and it will be a struggle for us to survive on only DH's pay. I'm a casual teacher, and therefore no sick pay, holiday pay or maternity leave. The flexibility of the job is great, but now I want stability and entitlements! This is actually my biggest worry about my pregnancy. DH and I have worked out we should be able to save enough between now and the first so I sould stay off work for 4 months before I have to go back. Luckiyl when I do go back, one day a week will tide us over for the essentials and bills. I plan to breastfeed, and while I know my mother will be happy to mind our little star while I'm at work, I'm worried about how my breasts will cope with 7 hours without expressing or feeding!

I know this is a bit O/T but if anyone has any advice on entitlements for casual teachers, or if breasts can cope with about 7 hours, I'd be amazingly grateful!

Lisa xx

Womble Guest

I was going for 38 but ended up leaving at 37 - buggered and in need of some R&R and a mental break before bub arrives.

I'd just say try to arrange things so you leave some options open - ie, negotiate to do a few less days per week if you can, or have an arrangement where you can leave earlier if you find you need to. Your body/mind tells you what's right for you I think.

I finished at 32 weeks, because I could, and because my job isn't really easy in the third tri, most girls seem to finish at around 32 weeks.

I'm so glad I did cos I went into labour at 35 weeks (to the day!). I would have felt really ripped off if I'd had no maternity leave at all! I always had a feeling I'd go early though.

i was going to finish at 36 weeks but was told bub was on the small side and that i needed to rest more so finished at 34 weks and took the next 2 weeks as sick leave

With #1 i worked until 38 weeks but had wednesdays off from about 34 weeks as i was getting so overtired and coming down with bugs. I worked to 36 weeks with #2 as he was due at 38 wks by elective c/s. The last week both times was completely crap and i felt like i'd pushed it abit too far and was just about desk-bound. Good luck whatever you do - just enjoy the peace and quiet and being able to do what you want when you want it!

I was planning to work to 38-39 weeks but my job is pretty full-on and no-one in my office seemed to gett he hint that I was going on leave so the worked kept piling up. I ended up finishing at 35-36 weeks but I had a cold that wouldn't go away (it was the middle of winter), we were renovating and the house was totally disorganised (we didn't buy a cot till 39 weeks!) and I was very worried and stressed about preparations for bub. Somehow, though, I suspect I will stick around a bit longer with Little One, because the weather will be better, I will be stricter with telling people "NO MORE WORK THANKS" and I think I will be less worried about preparing for bub. I know of second bubs who have slept in cardboard boxes because mum is so casual about everything - I am hoping to channel a bit of that "relaxed" behaviour myself this time LOL!!!

With my daughter I left work at about 36 weeks due to the conditions at my work and the swelling of my ankles (I had high blood pressure too). With the next one I'm going to work all the way through until the Friday and Ill have a c-section on the Monday. From the beginning of August however Im going to be having 1 day off a week and Sept Ill be having 2 days off so Im cutting down a lot. Having the Wednesday off is really good though cos it gives u that rest in the middle of the week when u need it.

I'm going to finish at 34 weeks

I'm finishing at the end of 36 wks, on a Friday. My midwives appts are always on a friday in the afternoon, so I'll be leaving even earlier! Saturdays are the start of a new week so my first day of maternity leave will be 37wks. I feel kinda guilty that there'll be 3-4 wks with no income and I'll be at home and bored stiff; but lately I've been feeling really ill and dizzy and feel like I have constant cold with no energy. My replacement seems to have the hang of everything and I can sit and supervise her until my last day! Betcha it wont work like that (I'm at work right now, trying to put off doing anything coz I just don't have the energy or concentration needed ) Excluding today 14 work days to go til maternity leave!

I started part-time work from about 22 weeks. I was going to work right up to my due date, but went into labour at 35 1/2 weeks, so I finished work on the Monday and gave birth on the Tuesday. It was quite unreal.

I worked until the 37 weeks, was having half days by then and coming home and sleeping. Was looking forward to a couple of week of rest. Finished work on the Friday water broke on Sunday morning and had baby Sunday afternoon. With nothing prepared for at home, thank god for family.

I had a job with lots of lifting etc when I was pg with Kat. I left at 26wks I think as I just couldn't lift as much and ppl were covering for me and I felt bad about that. We didn't really NEED my income, I had early signs of PE and was getting kicked every time I dared lift someone into bed. Not ideal (esp as the people I was lifting were heavy oldies who were unable to help at all, but certainly could fight u if they decided). It simply became too risky for me to keep lifting heavy loads and doing so much. I also had to drive for an Hr to get to work and my shifts were evening and DH would worry about me driving tired after work....
    Trust ur body and what it tells u..... It knows best....

i worked to 36+2 and had ashley at 39+2.
    so 3 weeks which i think was plenty!

I am leaving work in 2 days, thank heavens. I was supposed to leave at 34 weeks, but got a certificate to say I could work to 36 weeks. This is because my leave starts from the day I go, and I have to come back in 1 year, so I wanted the maximum time with my baby.

But golly gosh, am I exhausted. And are my feet swollen! Desk job or no desk job (in my case, it's half and half), these babies look like puffer fish with toes.
    Kirsten

worked till saturday and had a planned c sect the following thurs... so 4 days before he was due ... he was born at 40 wks

I remember a girl I worked with who was pregnant with twin girls. She'd planned to leave work at 36 weeks pregnant but struggled so much getting up the hill etc, she ended up leaving on a Wednesday at around 34 weeks pregnant. She went into labour two days later and had her girls on the Saturday IIRC. *L*

Meanwhile, I had a single pregnancy and despite my plans to work until 36 weeks (which would have been good as I was due at Christmas and my daughter ended up being 10 days overdue), I was so sick I had to leave at 16 weeks pregnant! *L*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast