Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long did you stay at work before giving birth?

Default How long did you stay at work before giving birth?

I am thinking of staying at work up until 2 weeks or a week & a half before my due date. Has anyone else done this and if so, how did you find it?

I stayed at work until 38 weeks exactly.
    My employer allows us to work until our due date, but a lot of employers will have a restriction, and a maximum no. weeks gestation that you can work up until. 34 and 36 weeks are quite common.

I had a very non-eventful pg though (no m/s, etc), and a desk job.
    My work had a first aid room with a bed (stretcher type - like a massage table) though, so I would go in at lunchtime most days in the later stages and rest with my feet up for a half hour.

My son was 10 days overdue, and I did find it drove me insane being at home on my own for so long as he was my first bub, so I am not sure what I would have done if I had finished any earlier.

Hi rayray,

I have had a pretty uneventful pregnancy to date, and know I wouldn't cope sitting at home. I have briefly spoken with my OM & she seems to think that if I'm still ok & happy to work then that should be fine, but we haven't really discussed actual dates yet.

Did your OB put a limit on how late you could stay at work? Maybe I should discuss it with him at our next appt to see if he has any limits on working......

Mine didn't. I had shared care with my GP though, not sure if that would make a difference.

He said becuase of the pg I'd had I could stay at work as long as I liked..I think it helped though that I don't have a labour intensive job etc, and I could rest at work if i needed to.

I worked up until 37 weeks. I had two weeks off, and then she was born at just before 39 weeks. If i had any longer between finishing work and birth, i think I would have gone insane lol. I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy and an easy sit-down job. I had to get a medical certificte to say I was able to work later than 34 weeks.

Claire Guest

I stayed at work unti 38 weeks (I think) and then worked from home until the day I was due..........it could have been the cause of going overdue and being induced maybe...

This time I'm stopping a month before and maybe even still sending my daughter into childcare a few days a week so that I can veg on the sofa, watch somwe DVD's and get myself ready for the birth.

annef6722 Guest

hi
    I worked on a Friday, and my waters broke on the following sunday, and i gave birth on the tuesday.
    on that friday i felt like finishing up work, and having a week off to rest - but never got that rest!!
    i'd say work for as long as you feel good, and providing your boss will let you take it easy when you need to. i was really active in my preg - gentle gym workouts and swimmimg, so i felt ok to keep working.
    hope you enjoy the rest of your pregancy,

From about 34 weeks I went to a 4 day week & had every Wednesday day off. From 38 weeks I was on maternity leave, but doing work from home (& still am LOL)!

I am still working three days a week at 38 weeks 6 days - and am stuffed! But I would rather stil work now while I can so I can spend time with bubba after as I don't receive any paid leave...and will be working from home a few hours a week with bubba too....just do what feels right for you, thats the main thing.

I finished up at 36 wks ... I did get a bit bored at home, but I was absolutely stuffed going in to work each day, so I am glad that I didn't stay any longer. There was a girl at my work who worked up until a few days before her due date ... she seemed to cope OK (must have had more energy than I did lol).

I went off at 34 weeks, but I could hardly walk, and my desk job really wasn't a desk job IYKWIM. I was lucky enough to have enough sick leave to have that long off though.

at the moment i am planning to work to about 38 wks. i have a desk job though and i am able to work from home as much as i like so that helps. i have spokenwith work and said i will just see how i feel closer to the time. may drop to 4 days a week or something.

I worked til 35wks with Indah & then she was a week overdue, I was SO bored, but my job involves climbing around & inspecting trucks/ deliveries, samplig stock etc, I get very exhausted, so I am working til 36wks this time... I will have a 2yr old at home & she is very tiring & entertaining!!!!

With Alex, I didn't "finish" work as I was hospitalised at 29 weeks.

With Ned, I finished work at 16 weeks on doctor's orders.

I'm finishing work at 36wks. I was planning to work right up to just a week or so before birth because I have just got a desk job. But I am so over my work and I just need the 'break' before the baby comes.

I worked up until 35 weeks, was supposed to be till 36 weeks but I just couldn't do it anymore. I have a desk job too but have to travel to the city on the train (an hour each way) and the travel and the heat buggered me. I was due on Christmas day and went over 10 days - didn't get bored at all!

I look back on that time now, at home nesting and waiting for my baby, and I am sooooo glad I did it. It was wonderful.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I worked too 36 weeks at a desk job, but I travelled on the train as well and found that I was exhausted. I ended up taking a day a week off as sick leave just too have a break in the middle of the week.

i have a desk job, in a not very stressful environment, and i am finishing at 34 weeks. Can not wait. Have my replacement already there, (having a day off today) and might even start using up my sick pay if my boss isnt going to pay it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast