Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parental Leave Entitlements: An overview

Just a quick Q from me, I'm pretty sure I've read this right.

I am planning on taking 12 months leave, and currently have about 4 weeks annual leave up my sleeve. So when i start my Mat Leave, I will get 4 weeks paid, and 48 unpaid - no maternity pay where i work Is that right??

And also, is there any restriction on how early you can start leave? At this stage I'm thinking maybe from 32 weeks.

TIA

depending on your award you can generally start leave earlier. you can ask your HR department though. they may have something in place that says you can use the normal rec leave for first four weeks (which puts you up to the "normal" time for starting mat leave) and still get your 52 weeks from that point, not the point you start your rec leave (so 52 weeks from your 36 week mark, not your 32week mark if that makes sense)

a fair amount of what is in the OP on this thread is now obsolete - when i have a chance i'll try and update the c'link side of it if i can

Thanks BG, totally makes sense! Guess i will have to have a chat with HR before I do my Mat Leave letter, just to make sure i get my dates right.

Thanks again

Hi,
    Just a quick Q from me. I worked FT before my maternity leave and due to be back next year. Just had a meeting with my employer yesterday and they pretty much told me that if i want to come back to my current position, i have to come back FT. Otherwise they can look for PT position for me with lower salary. But I know before they gave someone who came back from maternity leave a PT position with less responsibility for the same salary as their previous role?
    What's my right? Thanks

Hi cjsmum

Actually - sorry - but on this one your boss is right. Under the current rules if your return from mat leave they have to give you your old position or "an equivalent" position. There is a suggestion that where possible allowance for working part time should be considered but there is no obligation on the employer to do this.

Unless you work for a larger company where they have different rules written into your employment contract where alternatives have been negotiated.

If I were you I would sit down and work out what you want and then try and think of it from their perspective and then go back to them with a proposal for part time work in your current position or tell them why you think that a different position but a higher salary would be good for them as well as you. But unfortunately the fact that they did it for someone else previously doesn't cut it - for many companies times have changed and they simply can't afford to do things like that anymore.

Good luck.

I think there have been some changes to entitlements from 1 January including what I understand from another thread is you can have up to 2 years unpaid maternity leave now. Anyone know anymore about them?

the first year is, from my understanding, legislated by government. the second year is up to agreement with your employer

so basically, the first year, your employer is obligated to keep your role for you - the second is between you and your employer

this whole thread is probably obsolete now - i might have to do a new one and see if i can get a mod to make it a sticky - job for next week - too tired and grumpy today lol! can someone remind me?

Hi girls,

Question from me-

I have recently begun FT employment (with company for 2 months) and have found out unexpectedly that I am pregnant... just over 4 wks My baby is due in mid September. According to my calculations I have worked out that I will by then have been in my position for a full 9 months... do I fall short of the 12 months minimum for maternity leave entirely? Or, fingers crossed, will they put off paying me for the first 3 months (and I'll take unpaid leave) and once I'm on there books officially for a year even though I'm on leave, start paying my maternity leave for the remainder of my time off? IYKWIM...
    Also, do they have the right to terminate my employment if I tell them I am pregnant while I'm still on probation? My probation period goes for 6 months. I will most likely be showing by June, you'd think :P I'm more worried about telling them this and then getting fired
    All feedback welcome!
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mummytash; January 11th, 2011 at 09:58 PM.

They can't fire you for being pregnant, even if you are within your probation period - that's discrimination.

i doubt any employer will hold your positiong for an additional 3 months and then start paying you maternity payments - you will have only 9 months service - they MAY keep your position for you to return to, but i doubt they will be under any obligation to do so

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    i doubt any employer will hold your positiong for an additional 3 months and then start paying you maternity payments - you will have only 9 months service - they MAY keep your position for you to return to, but i doubt they will be under any obligation to do so
    Just trying to understand better... by under 'no obligation' you mean that they have the right to fire me once I need begin my leave, because I have not been there for 12 months? And I don't have the right to even take 'unpaid' leave? (Sorry, just I'm wanting to know what I am legally entitled to not what they may choose to do)

Thanks!

it will be part of your agreement - i believe employers with employees of over 12 months have to hold their position for them - if you've been there less than 12 months, they are under no obligation to offer you employment again after your baby is born

I have a question re: immunization allowance - if you are not eligible for any of the other monetary benefits mentioned, does that mean that you aren't eligible for the immunization allowance as well or is the immunization allowance not means tested?

not means tested
    just make sure you put in an application before bub hits 2 years old

My understanding RE immunisation allowance is that it is NOT means tested - I got the first half of mine (approx $125.00) once my daughter had her 18mth needles, and will get the other half once we've completed more of them (next ones aren't due until 4). I think that's right - please correct me if I'm wrong.

it's after 18 months provided you've done 12 month jabs or signed conscientious objection form

thanks!

Hi guys,

So ive been working full time for 10 years (taking only 8 months off in between), however, i got made redundant at the end of last year but found a job straight away so have currently been there for 1 week.

My question is, if i get pregnant (which we have been ttc for a while now) and its not pass 12 months yet, do i get the govt paid leave?

I know my company's one will not apply to me but how about the govt one?

Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast