Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teachers-when to take leave???

Exactly Fletch. I had mine start day 1 of term 2.

I am undecided whether to take half pay or not. A friend who is on mat leave said that she ended up with more than she expected because of the lower tax bracket.

It's hard to know what is best! I am a temporary teacher, and don't know if I will be back at the same school or not - could even be offered permanency somewhere. I think they are talking about making my position permanent, but that doesn't mean I would get it - it may go to someone on the transfer list. At least I am still eligible for mat leave!

My half pay certainly wasn't half my normal pay because of the tax.

Sally J
    How does it work for you since you a temporary teacher in ?? (what state) do you have to have continual contracts to be entitled?

Summer, in NSW if you are a temporary teacher and have 40 weeks continuous service you are eligible for all the same maternity benefits as a permanent teacher.

In fact you are eligible for all the same benefits pro rata for just about everything, inlucidng LSL. The only thing we don't have is access to salary packaging, and of course tenure.

MrsMac, would you mind sharing approximately what percentage of your pay you actually ended up with when you were on half pay?

I can't remember what % it was but I am at the top of the nSW pay scale and it was $1075 clear per fortnight. it would be more now with the payrise.

I am a few steps below - I think I'm on 10, but will be going up to 11 in October. Hmm. I think I will have to wait to see what my situation at my school will be. If I don't have a job next year, then I am probably better off taking the 28 weeks. I need to find out how it affects my prospects on the employment list.

We just had a girl transfer into our school in a full time position and she is on part time leave without pay as she has young children and the boss was forced to take her and let her job share so it shouldn't really affect your chances too much. Are you in the public system?

Yes, in public system. Asked union rep today and she said it was no problem - I would just be on mat leave at the new school.

But it's a moot point now, just found out I'm not having baby anymore.

Oh Sally I am so sorry. Its so horrible, I know how you feel having had 2 miscarriages. Take care of yourself, take time to grieve.

Thanks, yeah I am not going in tomorrow, and hope they can get me in for D & C on Friday.

I had told the others in my faculty, which is fine, but I had to tell our sports co-ordinator as he was lining everyone up for winter sports, not looking forward to telling him it doesn't matter anymore.

Sally after I had posted here I read your post saying what had happened. How devastating for you. Have a few days off, especially from high school kids. (can you tell I'm K-6?)

Christine I don't have to go back to school till next Wednesday - which is great, I have 2 horrible year 9 classes who I am not looking forward to seeing.

I bet the K-6 ers have their moments too!

Glad you can have some time off. K-6 do have their moments too I guess its just what you get used to! My DD was in Year 9 last year, not an easy age LOL Yr10 doesn't seem a lot better. I guess if you teach a subject they like its easier.

Just wondering if anyone knows if casual teachers in NSW are entitled to anything? I know most likely not, but I'd rather explore all the possibilities before I give up. I've been doing regular casual work at the same school for a year now, though unfortunately, it is no a temporary position, it is casual, and I've been working at least one day most weeks, usually more, often doing blocks of 2 or more weeks at a time.

It seems a little unfair to not be entitled to anything just due to being casual, even though my income makes up a large amount of the household income.

Lisa xx

I am pretty sure that unless you have a temporary position you get nothing unfortunately, ring leave section of Staff services and ask them. At least you'll get the baby bonus afterwards to help a bit. I have heard that permanent jobs in Wagga are hard to find, is that what you have found? A girl I used to work with moved down there to be with her DH(he was transferred through fire brigade) and she had trouble even getting a compassionate transfer. (this was 4 years ago)

Thanks for both your replies. I did a bit of research last night after posting that, and this morning, and have found this on the teacher's federation site:

"Casual teachers who have completed 40 weeks continuous service are eligible for maternity payment. The application should be made at least four weeks prior to the date of ceasing duty and must include a medical certificate stating the anticipated date of birth. Casual teachers should also note that where they are not employed for a period of up to four weeks before the anticipated date of birth, that period will count for the 40 weeks of continuous service. Eligible casual teachers will receive the equivalent of 14 weeks pay as a lump sum."

So that's positive...I did also read somewhere that the 40 weeks must be spread over no more than a two year period. So I'm wondering exactly what 'continuous' means in this case. Surely if they meant every possible school day for 40 weeks, they wouldn't mention about it being spread over two years. I'll just have to ring someone to find out. Would be a huge relief if I was entitled to that, and if my calculations are correct, I'm up to 25 weeks so far since this time last year. Fingers crossed.

Permanant jobs are very difficult to come across here. I do the vast majority of my work in one school, luckily, but permanancy still looks a long way off. DH has a permament job in a different industry, so there's no point in us looking anywhere else for me. Might as well hope for this entitlement, keep my fingers crossed and keep muddling our way through.

Lisa xx

I am pretty sure continuous service is without a break, its mainly for people who have been doing block casual work I think but I would call and check.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast