Thread: Workplace discrimination

shellie Guest

Default Workplace discrimination

Just wondering if anyone had any advice out there or has had any experience with the anti-discrimination tribunal. i have had some legal advice and decided to make a formal complaint about my employer after being demoted from my position after she found out I as pregnant.

I have been warned by my lawyer that it could be quite a lengthy process and I am just hoping it will be worth my while. If there is anyone else out there who has successfully been through this process I would love to hear from you... Just want some reassurance on what sort of outcome I should expect.

I have no idea about the process sorry Shellie, but just wanted to say well done and go for it!!!! Best of luck with it all. Are you a member of a union at all?

shellie I haven't gone through this myself as I quit whie PG, but one thing you may want to check out is your award? Some awards state specifically about demotions, I know mine does and there have to be certain steps taken...I'm sure your lawyer would know about this too, but I hope everything goes well. Good luck!

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Shellie

Just wanted to wish you goodluck.I know how it feels to be discriminated against because your pregnant.My workplace made me go on maternity leave at 23 weeks as my BP rose and they said they were under no obligation to offer me lesser work.I either had to do my normal roster or go on maternity.They said because pregnancy wasn't a workplace accident that they had no obligations to me!!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for my last maternity payment to come through and then I'm going to persue the matter as well.

Hi Shellie,

I pursued a sexual harrassment/victimisation complaint against my previous employer through the Queensland Antidiscrimination Tribunal. My union (the ASU) was a fantastic help and paid for all my legal fees
    (about $15 000 worth of fees). It was pretty full on because my employer was the Catholic Church, and they certainly didn't give up without a fight. It got pretty nasty I have to say.

If you aren't a member of your union, you can contact the Working Women's Service, or depending on your age (under 25 I think) the Young Worker's advisory service.

My matter was dragged out over 18 months, but it was worth my while. We didn't settle at concilliation, but we did reach an "agreement" (enough for some serious retail therapy) prior to the matter going to hearing (and before it became public record, which was a good motivation for my employer to settle!).

Anyhow...if you have any questions about my experience of the process feel free to ask away and I'll be as honest as I can.

Hey Kirsty - your employer sounds pretty dodgy too....if you want to talk about it or pursue it, I'm here. I know you must live kinda near me, and in the same industry. I'm pretty passionate about workers rights and I HATE to see people victimised or discriminated against - and I know what it's like 'cos I've been there.

Default reply

OMG that sucks so badly-sorry bout that.

If you think you can win you go for it girl, put them in ther place and let you show them you cant be walked all over-ooowww that makes me mad!

Good luck matey.xx

Melinda Guest

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to go through this Shellie! How awful.

I don't have any advice to offer you, except that I really hope things are resolved quickly for you.

Hi.

I just have a qn about discrimination, maybe somebody else had or is having similar problems. I'm due in Jan 2006, and have taken this semester off uni (well, technically doing 1 subject by correspondance but anyway) to work so we can have some extra money. I dont look pregnant yet, but I asked my rabbi for guidance and he says i'm obligated to say that i am pregnant otherwise it's dishonest to the employer as they need to know my intention that i'm only planning on working til end of december. I feel if i tell people, nobody is going to hire me, but i can't prove its discrimination. Has anbody gone fora job obviousl looking pregnant, and found they can't get any work? Any suggestions on what i can do (other than look for temp work until december)?

Thanks,

Yael

kerry Guest

Yael - I can't really offer much advice but to say you have to make the right decision (by your conscience) in regards to telling a potential employer. If you know you wouldn't feel uncomfortable hiding your pregnancy then don't tell, HOWEVER if you know that such a deception would leave you guilt ridden then don't do it, its an extra stress bubs doesn't need or you for that matter.