Thread: Cooking a beef roast... vegetarian needs help!

Default Cooking a beef roast... vegetarian needs help!

I bought a small beef roast for the family cause I never cook roast and thought they'd enjoy it but... I don't know how long to cook it for.

It's only .672kg so it's only tiny. I was thinking it would only need about 45mins on about 190*C - not fan forced. Am I thinking along the right track?

I was also going to rub it with seeded mustard and crushed garlic. What do you think?

Sounds great! I think the usual rule is around 190-200 and 1kg=1 hour. So you were thinking perfectly

I rub mine with seeded mustard and push garlic into slits I've cut in.

ETA: http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=29825

ej_1974 Guest

mmm, you're making me hungry!!!

Thanks Christy. I remember my Dad saying that it was about 20 mins per 500g but maybe he said 30 mins. There are times when I wish he was still alive, but this is just one of the little things I miss him for. *sigh*

25min per 500grms for med-well done

My Mum used to tell me 30mins per pound (about 1/2kg), so what the others have said sounds about right.

OTOH, if you've got a slow cooker, I've found that it my favourite way to cook roasts now. I think it was Cailin who said she elevates the roast on balls of alfoil - it works brilliantly!

You'd be so proud of me, girls.

My family stuffed themselves silly on their dinners. DD couldn't stop raving about how good it was "Better than Nana's, Mum!" She had seconds too, and ate everything on her plate twice and still wanted more. DH enjoyed it, and Blake thought it was yummy - he signed to tell us as he's a boy of little words.

DD wants roast weekly. I said we'd have it more often (I've cooked roast twice in her life!) but perhaps not weekly. She did a happy dance! so she must be pleased with the thought of having it more frequently.

I've always been a little apprehensive about cooking meat, especially roast cause it 'seems' hard. Guess it isnt.

Cherie, I'll have to suss out the slow cooker threads cause I borrowed my Mum's SC and haven't used it yet - yep that meat thing again.

Thanks again to you all.

ETA: Oh yeah, we had to turn the oven off in the middle of cooking cause DD had her skating lesson and it would have been burnt to a crisp by the time we got home. And it was still good! I'm amazed!

Well done Rachel!!! How did you do it in the end?

I haven't been able to stuff up a roast yet, and usually I'm pretty good at messing things up. In winter we have roast beef once a fortnight and roast chicked weekly done in the SC. I still do my beef in the oven though.

Christy, it was perfect. I'd microwaved the potatoes for 10 mins before skating and threw them in the oven so they'd had 10 mins by the time the oven was turned off. Then they all got about 25 mins when we got home from skating with 5 mins on 220* to crisp the potatoes and finish off the meat before I took it out to rest (see, I do know what I'm on about!)

As I said, DD couldn't stop raving about it! I'm happy.

YAY for you Rachel!

BTW - roasts are the only thing I ever use my slow cooker for