Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mince Beef and rice ideas

Thanks mum2be ...I am about to go and make your rissoles for dinner. Funny as I was going to roll them in breadcrumbs and see what that was like hehehehe.

Let me know if you like them - I got a kg of mince yesterday, so i might make up a big batch as well. Good idea for a meal idea for when bubs comes home. Just need to chuck some veges with them. Or chips and gravy. Or, just hamburger buns and some salad.

ohhhh mum2be they were yum! . I also made a little bit into bit size meatballs for lunch ...We are going out today so I just packed Kaitlyns lunch box with meatballs , veges and pasta! Perfect hehe.

Fee Guest

I love mince - I have a TON of recipes!

Beef and vegetable bolognaise

Serves 4

Combine one diced onion with 2 cloves of chopped garlic, 500g lean minced topside, 1 large grated carrot and 1 stick chopped celery.

Cook until golden.

Add 2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 cups beef stock, 800g chopped tinned tomatoes.

Cover and cook for around 45 minutes.

Serve over steamed zucchini or broccoli tossed with chopped parsley and freshly squeezed lemon.

~~~

Beef mince and pea curry

Spice up the start of the week! This budget-friendly curry will take just 30 minutes to get to the table.

Ingredients (serves 4)
     2 tablespoons vegetable oil
     1 brown onion, finely chopped
     2 garlic cloves, crushed
     2 tablespoons madras curry paste
     650g beef mince
     400g can diced tomatoes
     1 cup frozen peas
     steamed basmati rice, mint leaves and pappadums, to serve

Method

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.

2. Add beef and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 4 minutes or until browned. Add tomatoes and bring to the boil.

3. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated. Stir in peas and cook for 1 minute or until peas cooked through. Spoon curry over rice. Top with mint. Serve with pappadums (see note).

Notes & tips

Place 4 pappadums at a time, evenly spaced, on a heatproof, microwave-safe rack or inverted dinner plate (so they are elevated off the turntable by 2cm). Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) for 1 to 2 minutes or until pappadums expand and crumple (they become crisp as they cool).

This recipe can be made ahead and frozen.

~~~

Porcupine casserole

Serves 4

You will need...

SAUCE
    1 x 420g can salt reduced tomato soup
    1 x 415g can no added salt crushed tomatoes
    ½ cup finely diced onion
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons salt-reduced chicken-style stock powder( Massel®)
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)

MEAT BALLS
    500g very lean beef mince
    ⅓ cup raw long grain rice
    1 teaspoon salt-reduced chicken-style stock powder (Massel®)
    1 egg white

Method...

Pre heat oven to 190ºC fan forced.
    To make sauce: In a large casserole dish (that has a lid) combine all ingredients listed to make the sauce. Pour into casserole dish and leave to one side.

To make meatballs: In a medium size mixing bowl combine all ingredients listed to make meat balls. Using your hands mix together well. Shape into 12 round meat balls, add to casserole dish and bake for 1 hour.

~~~

Savoury mince with pasta

Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 rasher rindless bacon, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    500g minced steak
    6 mushrooms, chopped
    1 capsicum, seeded and chopped
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    425g can tomatoes
    1 cup beef stock
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    ½ cup small pasta
    seasonings to taste

1. Heat oil in large frying pan. Saute bacon, onion and garlic until tender.

2. Add mince. Brown well, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks. Stir in mushrooms, capsicum and tomato paste.

3. Blend in all remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes until pasta is cooked. Serve with crusty bread and salad.

Note: If desired, add some chilli and canned beans of choice.

~~~

Teriyaki Beef Mince

450 gm beef mince
    ½ cup frozen corn
    ½ cup frozen peas
    1 carrot, diced finely
    1 small onion, chopped finely
    2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
    1 tsp mirin
    1 ½ tbsp ketjap manis (Indonesian sweet dark soy sauce)
    Pepper

1. In a pan, brown the onions in 1 tbsp oil. When fragrant, add the beef mince to brown slowly. Add carrots and cook for 4 minutes.

2. Add the corn and peas. Cook for a few more minutes, then add the teriyaki sauce, mirin, bit of pepper and ketjap manis. Cook for 2 minutes.

3. Serve with steamed rice.

~~~

Mince, Lentil and Spinach Curry - this is my FAVE meal!

500g lean beef mince
    1 leek chopped
    1 red chilli chopped (optional) - I use 1-2 teaspoons of chilli powder instead
    2tsp ground cumin
    2tsp ground coriander
    1tsp garam masala
    1tsp turmeric
    2tsp paprika
    1tbs grated or finely chopped ginger - I just often use 1 tbs of the jar ginger if I don't have fresh
    3-4 garlic cloves chopped
    1 tin diced tomatoes - I use Coles brand diced tomatoes - 400g
    small box of frozen spinach
    1 cup of yellow lentils (channa dahl) - I often use yellow split peas instead (easier to find) - just make sure you soak them for the day
    1/2 cup red lentils
    1 litre beef stock
    Natural Yoghurt (optional) - I usually don't bother with this - I serve with pappadums!
    Salt/Pepper to taste

1. Saute leek, garlic and ginger in olive oil. Add ground spices (including chilli powder) and stir until fragrant. Remove from pan and set aside.

2. Brown mince, return leek and spice mixture to pan and combine. Add tomatoes and stir through.

3. Add lentils and combine.

4. Add beef stock and bring to boil, cover and simmer for approx. 1 hour or until lentils are tender. The red lentils will break down, the yellow lentils will remain whole but softened.

5. Shortly before end of cooking time, add defrosted spinach and stir through. Serve with a dollop of natural yoghurt if desired.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12