Thread: Carpal Tunnel?

Default Carpal Tunnel?

Hi all I have just got back from my 32 week check up. I mentioned to my midwife about the swelling in my wrists and the fact that from this morning my fingers on my left hand feel really strange, kinda numb. She seems to think that this is Carpal Tunnel and that it may get worse especially at night. I was told if the symptoms do get worse to ring and get an appointment with the physio and get fitted for a brace to wear at night. I was wondering if there is anything else i can do?

ps. she said it seems like my body has had enough being the 3rd lol im falling apart at the seams.

This will sound a l;ittle of beat, but when my mum firt started signs of this her doctor told her of an old wives tale which may help-

whack your wrist with a bible!

Left my mum for about 5 years after she did so, till it returned and she had to have keyhole surgery.

Goodluck!

The best thing I found for it was keeping your hands quite actvie during the day & then sleeping with them elevated above your heart, so grab some extra cushions to rest them on. I had it from around 28 weeks with Zander & 12 weeks with this one.

I sleep with a body pillow which makes it easier for me to sleep with my hands flat and arms straight. I can hug the pillow . I find if my wrists are bent or I sleep with my hand under my pillow (like I usually do) I go numb quite quickly.

I am using a body pillow already and two others, lol poor DH has not much room, ah well he will be overjoyed when i tell him to squish a bit more so i can try and keep my hands elevated.....lol.
    My job at work involves me using my hands an awful lot, i prune trees for a living, so i wonder if the fact i have stopped has contributed to this and not just the pregnancy, Ive beng doing this kinda work for 14 yrs now.
    Ah well we will see how things go.

Typing is supposed to be good, so maybe stay on BB for longer than usual

OK

Occupational Therapist here with CTS currently

Buy some lectric soda crystals. Put a small amount in an old stocking and secure to your wrist- not too tight, just so they sit there comfortably and dont fall off. Leave them there for 1-2 hrs. They will feel cool and wet and the crystals will turn powdery white. These crystals actually draw fluid out from swollen joints (yes they do work on cankles). By removing the fluid you can reduce the pressure and ease the symptoms. The crystals can be tricky to find, but are generally in supermarkets where you find the epsom salts

You can actually go to a chemist and buy a wrist splint for about $30. you need the one with the metal bar that runs down the wrist

If these 2 measures dont work, or its still getting worse see a physio to get some exercises to help.

If you are an office worker, get someone to check you computer set-up- mouse work is really bad for CTS. I recommend changing to a trackball mouse, so you move the mouse acriss the screen using your thumb on the ball.

Avoid heavy lifting and carrying, sustained fine motor tasks and using objects that vibrate (mainly things like drills)

Hope all that helps and gives you some relief

thanks musolissa,
    I will have a look at the shops today to see if i can grab some lectric soda crystals.

It was very suprising to me to find out i had carpal tunnel, i thought that if anything i would have got this from work, as i use chainsaws and hand tools every day. I am on leave from work now and have been of the tools for 3 months now.

Tan a lot of people are surprised as everyone is told that its from vibrations etc.

But infact its anything that causes the very tiny tunnel to swell/ become inflamed thus putting pressure on the nerves and tendons.

In pregnancy a lot of women experience swelling- even if they cant see it. One of the first places to swell is the hand, and the extra fluid in the wrist is what causes the increased pressure on the carpal tunnel.

Good luck- I hope its not too hard to find the lectric soda, can be a bit tricky at times

Thanks, i found it at my local coles.
    I had noticed on the weekend that my wrists had swollen , i actually pointed it out to hubby, then 2 days later the pins and needles and numbness started. So i will be putting the letric soda on tonight once the kids are in bed and see how it goes.
    Thanks for your help