Thread: Cholestasis of Pregnancy - (itch)

Default Cholestasis of Pregnancy - (itch)

I have officially been diagnosed with Cholestasis of Pregnancy, which is a severe itch. I was wondering if anyone else has had it, or experiencing it. I had it with my first pregnancy but the doctor i saw then just shrugged my itch off. I have had steroid injections in case I go into labour, i went 5 weeks early with baby number 1. Just wanted to find out more about it really....

I'm sorry I cant help Sheba but I really feel for you. I had mild itching just as the warmer weather hit a couple of months ago and I know how bad that was so I cant even imagine dealing with severe itching. Is it somethng to do with bile salts on the skin as I have heard of this and I know there is somethng you can buy over the counter (???) to help with this.

Good luck getting some answers .....

Bathsheba had this... and a few others had it too... hopefully you'll get some answers!

1 hour from Melbourne, in a tiny-tiny town once described as 'abandoned'

I had cholestasis when I was pregnant with DD (she was born march this year). It's not much fun, I really feel for you going through it.
    One doctor told me that a good way to ease the itch is to put mylanta on your skin (or any of the liquid antacids I guess). I think the difference between this and calamine lotion is that it feels a bit cooler when you apply it.
    To cope with the itching, for the last few weeks of pregnancy I slept with my feet out of the blanket, a fan directed at my feet, and coated in either calamine or mylanta. I found that the itching was ok in the daytime and only really started up 1/2 hour after going to bed, so I tried napping in the day when I could.
    Hope this helps a little.

hi babe,
    I so empathise with you... I had cholestasis with both pregnancies. it is a nightmare. i scratched so badly i scarred myself. I ended up taping on cotton gloves so that i couldnt scratch in my sleep. The itching was horrendous,calamine did nothing,neither did the other skin preparations. Apparently though now their is a medicine available to help reduce the symptoms of cholestasis but i had hear dits expensive. I dont know any more than that though.Their is a guy called Rodney Whyte at monash medical centre drug information line;9594 2361 he is a wealth of knowledge and he may know of it. if you do find anything out i'd love to hear back. I also had to have the steroid injections and had both my babies at 36 weeks and they were perfect not even a hint of jaundice.Ironic-given what i was going through-and baby out itching gone(gotta love that bit). I also found the itching worse at sleep time-why is that??grrr. Stay strong girl- not much longer too go. Wishing you RELIEF

Pauline

I am on tablets, something to do with the bile acids. I just read way too much and have scared myself with all the complications that can happen, especally with the baby. The tablets have eased the itch to a moderate level, but i am watching what i eat... It is so horrible, i thought i was going to go insane, last time i scratched so much at night i would wake up bleeding. At least this doctor is aware and helping me. The last one told me not to scratch..... if he wanted to see a fat prego lady jump a doctors desk and slap him silly... he nearly saw it that day!

oh sheba,
    you poor thing. God i thought the tablets would help more than that. what an idiot to say dont scratch. Thats as dumb as saying don't eat. Obviosly no idea. at least its not too much longer too go;are they inducing you early?and if so when?which hospital are you at? these tablkets that help with the bile acids are they expensive?

Yeah not long to go, i think they look at taking the baby around 36 weeks, so just a week after new year. Its not as bad as my first pregnancy, maybe cause i am not working and running around...

Sheba, hope it is not long now (since it is the New Year) and everything went ok.

I just want to say for anyone else who reads this and has mild itching most of the time and just intense itching occasionally, like I did which I noticed at 36wks, they should get it checked because I didn't know about this, to mention itching to my ob, and it turned out I had it and luckily my DD arrived at 37wks, otherwise I would have been induced.

I was diagnosed with this after I had my baby, having had the blood test done the day before my waters broke and not finding out the result until my 6 week check up.

Yes not long now, i only have two more weeks before i have a c-section (baby is breech). I can go at anytime, so i am hoping that my litle bubs is ready to come sooner.... i am on medication which is helping the itch, it just takes a lot out of you. My doc has been fab, i get monitored each week, scans ctg's... he is really good.

great to hear Sheba,
    I'm keeping an eye on you too. The heat sure wouldnt have been helping your spirits. Not much longer sweety. Glad to hear the tablets are helping.