Thread: Diastasis of the Symphysis Pubis - SPD's Nasty big brother

Default Diastasis of the Symphysis Pubis - SPD's Nasty big brother

The Symphysis Pubis is supposed to spread. But only up to 9mm on average. Generally SPD is a combination of reaching the higher separation and a little misalignment, but is not spread further than 10mm. It often also includes the Sacroilliac Joint.

Diastasis of the Symphysis Pubis is a separation over 10mm. It is diagnosed by Ultrasound, Xray or MRI. It is more likely to render the sufferer immobile, and often includes a hospital stay and intensive physiotherapy.

Aw, Ali - I'm assuming this is what you've got? If so, I'm sooooo sorry.
    I am having SIJ pain and that is bad enough!

So what am I supposed to do when my MW and Physio say my pain is "normal"and they cannot help me anymore?

Ali - you poor thing I had no idea it was that bad

Mabello - see a different physio. if they still think its normal, its probably isnt SPD or DSP. They can give you a brace to help keep things together if its pelvic instability. I have one and it works very well.

Dani - ask them to do investigations. SPD and Pelvic Instability can be interchangeable terms. A back brace worn over the hips is often what is used as a pelvic brace, so get one of those, and rest as much as possible.

Im definitely resting as much as possible as I just can't move. The physio is the only one I can afford (free) and she said my pelvis is sitting straight and in a correct position.

But would she know if the muscle was? The pain is so excruciating.The only thing I can do without pain atm is to sit with my knees together..but I cant sit in the same spot for longer than 10 mins without my buttocks pinching.

I have one of those braces but can't wear it correctly as this baby is breech as my belly is too low

Danni, I will take a pic of how low my brace is for you if it helps. Sometimes they cant tell as much by feel when there is inflammation. When you are really sore, Ice it, and keep everything symetrical as much as possible.

i would love to see a pic! xx

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...hp?photo=13063 Here you go Danni. It sits bellow my belly.

mine is like Alis, but only half the thickness, length wise, sits about the same height.

OMG Ali, I knew you had pain, I didn't realise it got like this

Ok its definitely given me a better idea. The last physio I saw when pregnant with Mason said it needed to sit higher up, but couldnt cos of my belly shape which is low and points down.

I will try it out today when I dig it up, and let you know how I go

thanks heaps