Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

hiya

my next test is 2 weeks away and i'm a little nervous about it.

Congrats on your little princess Leigh - love the name.

Hi to everyone else. Just thought i would drop in with a quick message.

Angel

Hi everyone...I was diagnosed with GD yesterday. I did the test early due to a family history so I have developed it early in pregnancy. Saw the diabetes educator and dietician at my hospital yesterday and have started testing my BSL. Go back in just over a week to see the nurse to see how I'm going. So far so good, but think all the planning ahead is going to do my head in before too long. I have only tested 5 times so far, but my highest reading has been 6.2 and that was after dinner last night. Hopefully I can keep it down and not need to go on insulin.

Hi Megan,

Nice to have you here, but sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with GD. Your BSL's sound really good which is great, and it's good they've picked it up nice and early for bubba's sake (even though I know it means you're putting up with it for longer). It is hard to get used to at first but you get better at the planning ahead as you get used to it. Good luck with it and ask any questions you have. I had HEAPS of questions when I was first diagnosed and the girls in here were great!

angelraelz - aaw hun I'm sending you good luck vibes for that test!

Tennykins - good luck for the motiviation - I need to do the same! I've been having a bit of a free-for-all when it comes to food Luckily BF'ing has meant i haven't actually put on any weight... just haven't lost any either!

Trac73 - gosh it's getting close for you. Good luck with your appointments. In my opinion I'd be very wary of going for a c/s based on size "estimation" as it is only that... an estimation and I would have thought they'd want some pretty concrete reasons to go for a c/s (unless you have your own reasons for a c/s of course). My obs said that growth scans can be 20% out so he wouldn't base our course of action on that as it's too inaccurate. Anyway all the best with it and let us know how you go - at the end of the day, main thing is that you and your beautiful bubba are healthy

Cheers,
    Belfie

Thanks Belfie It is taking a bit of getting used to. It's not the actual diet I have struggled with, just the no eating for 2 hours after a meal before I test my BSL. I wouldn't normally eat then, but I think it's just because I know I can't that I want to!
    I had a reading of 7.1 last night and 5.7 this morning and I was so annoyed with myself. I know it's barely over what it should be, but I don't know what I did for that to happen.
    I have found my BSL after breakfast and lunch is always lower than my fasting BSL which I thought was weird. Anyone else had this happen?

Hi Girls,

Megan - Welcome to our group, sorry it couldn't be for better reasons. Like Belfie said, the girls in this thread are great and full of information, I had plenty of questions to ask as well when I was first diagnosed. I too didn't struggle with the diet but the fact that I couldn't eat for 2hrs after a meal until I had tested annoyed me, only coz I knew that I wasn't able to eat. On some days my breakfast and lunch bsl was lower than my fasting as well. Don't beat yourself up on getting a 7.1, that's still pretty good. I guarantee that you could eat identical meals two days in a row and never get the same readings. Just try and stick to foods that you know work for you. I found I was eating the same things practically day in, day out but coz they worked for me I didn't care.

Well Lara is 2 wks old now, I can't believe it. Also I've been eating quite a bit of junk food, I know I shouldn't be but after not being able to have it while having GD I have been kind've indulging. I am nervous about going for my GTT in about 4-6wks time. I am so scared that it wont have gone away. Haven't tested myself since being out of hospital.

Angelraelz - Good luck for your test, please let us know how you get on.

Trac - Good luck at your growth scan. I never got to have any growth scans. Let us know how you go.

Better go, hope you've all had a great weekend.

Hello Ladies

Tennykins- Yes i am hoping for a natural birth but if i am advised to have a c/s then i guess i will do what ever is best to bring my babu into this world safetly for both them and myself.

ANGEL- Goodluck wiht your next test keeping my fingers crossed that it comes back negative.

MEGAN - Sorry to hear that you have GD, i am keeping my fingers crossed for you that you do not have to go on insulin also. The ladies in here are excellent and really have a heart and answer any questions you may have as well as just listen. Goodluck with everything.

BELFIE - I am only going to be advised with what the OB suggests. I really really really dont want a c/s as i am hoping for a natural like i did with my first bub but i am also scared that if bub is too big which they are saying that bub is that it may get stuck and i would then need an emergency c/s which is definately not the way i would like it to happen. In the PAML thread i have asked you a few questions in regards to Xander's birth and both of your health afterwards. Would love to hear from you when you get a chance.

LEIGH - I am like you i cannot wait until i have this bub so that i can have some chocolate and a little bit of junk as i have not been able to have any since the diagnosis. I hope your are enjoying your little one as they grow so quickly which isn't fair.

AFM - Well i had my growth scan today and at 36 weeks bub is 7pd 1oz, which is a little scary as my first baby was 7pd 13oz born at 40 weeks. From what i could tell it is the verage size of a 38 - 39 week old bub. Well tomorrow i am having my appointments with the Ob and Diabetic doctors so hopefully i will have some more information in regards to what they are going to do as in induction, c/s and when possible date. I am really ready for bub to come now and Friday would be good but i think i would be dreaming as i think they will let me go for another 2 weeks to get to the 38th week. Plus my body may be over being pregnant but i am still not completely ready. I have to pack my bag for hospital, the baby's bag for hospital, wash bub's clothes (as our washing machine has decided to break) and get a car seat as my DH decided to wash the one we have but has now lost the metal piece that holds the straps at the back which is a major piece of the car seat. So really my body maybe really but other things are not. Tomorrow's plan after doctors is bags and clothes. Don't know what to do about carseat yet. Well my levels are still a bit funny i am finding that i am having 1 high level throughout the day but all the others seem to be within target so i am hoping that they will not increase my insulin again because i already feel that it is high enough.

Well take care everyone and hope to chat soon

Hey Trac,

I've sent you a heap of info! But I'm just curious - how much insulin are you on at present? Also, I haven't heard of someone being induced for GD prior to 38 weeks.

I must admit, I got really blase with mine at the end, but mine wasn't that high (only got up to 18 units) so I started to really not care if it went a bit higher (I think I went from 14 to 18 in the last few weeks). My feeling too is that once you get to the hospital - unless you're on an absolute tonne, it doesn't make a heap of difference to what they recommend you do. I know every time I went for a CTG, they'd say "why are you having a CTG?" and I'd say...er.. I guess it's cos i'm insulin-dependant GD?? And they'd go "ah yeah, that'd be it". It was a bit weird really! Plus my obs didn't order the CTG's till right at the end, so my endo seemed really surprised that I wasn't having them -but I only started at about 37 weeks.

Oh and I also got warned that GD babies can have some breathing difficulties (more likely if c-section), but certainly Xander's breathing was fine, and his APGAR scores were both 9. But they also said not to stress re the breathing, just to be aware it could happen.

And yes, I agree at the end of the day as long as you're both healthy (and you can have that chocky at last!), that's the main thing. And it will all be worth it when you're holding your beautiful baby!!

Cheers,
    Belfie

hiya

i was going to be induced with isaac at 37 weeks (i think) because of the GD but got induced at 36 due to GD - insulin dependant, spilling protein in my urine and high bp. I also also asked about the monitoring as well but when i said GD insulin dependant they like oh yeah. I started having them at 30 weeks - weekly.

Also remember that they could go into special care for monitoring for blood sugars - but i think thats if you are on insulin and high amounts. I was on 80+ at night at then 20 or so units before breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Angel

Hello Everyone

Just a quick update after my appointments.
    DIABETES PROFESSOR - Well they have increased my insulin again, which i was not happy about but i keep thinking it is to help bub and that is the most important thing. I am now on 42 Units morning and 46 units night. I am hoping that once i delivery this bub then there will be no more pin *****s and no more injections yippppeeee
    OB'S - Well they will be inducing me at either 38+4 or 38+5 days so only 2 weeks away. I am relieved that i am able to have a natural birth as bub's size now is around 3.2 kilo and are expecting bub to be around 3.6kilo at birth so around 8 pound, not to big not to small. There is not much fluid and it looks like it is all bub. But i have to remember it is just an estimate. I spoke to the OB about what happens with bub and was relieved to hear that bub will stay with me for at least 2 hours after the first feed, where they will then check levels to make sure they are not to low and then make the decision whether bub will need to go to Special Care. This was such a relief for me as i really didn't want to be separated from bub so early on. So if the decision is made that bub needs Special Care at least by then i will be able to walk around with bub.
    Well i have finally organised bub's clothes they are washed and put in the cupboard, bub's bed is made ready for him/her to come home. The only thing i need to do is organise baby bag and my hospital bag but i will get around to it soon, i am sure.....prefably before 2 weeks time.

Megan - Welcome to the group, unfortunately not under better circumstances but it's a place to share, vent and query. As with most people who find out they have GD, there isn't alot of guidance so the more support you get the better you'll feel. This thread saved my sanity many a times...

Leigh26 - Congratulations on the birth of Lara. What a beautiful name!!!! I am in the same boat as you regarding having to go for the GTT again. My OB said I had to go 12 weeks post delivery (which is now ) and I too have the same fears. I'm trying to avoid it at all cost and when i tried to see if my GP would say "no i don't think you need to take it again" I got the opposite and told me i had to!! so this week I'll need to book in for it.

Tracy73 - Good luck with the delivery of your bub... Let us know how you go.. The time will just fly by I'm sure.. Regarding what happens with bub after delivery, it really can differ from person to person so it's good to know the possibilities which we were advised during our antenatal classes at our hospital. In our case our DD stayed with us (born 4.22pm) till her 2nd feed (around 9pm) when she had her levels checked before I fed her. Her 1st BSL immediately after birth was fine but second was low so they took her to nursery for a FF comp along with some colostrum. Her third level was even lower so she had a feeding tube put in for hourly FF's overnight. She had to get 3 good levels and was allowed back in with me so she spent her first night in nursery but after that she was perfectly fine and feeding tube came out the next day. We were allowed to go and see her whenever we wanted and the nurse bought her back to us at 6am. We were told if she had another low level that they would come get us but if we didn't hear from them then all was going good and she'd be back at 6am. We went to the nursery for her fourth BSL and she got a 4.8 and I was relieved. So from then they continued feeding her via tube every hour to get her levels stabilised.

AFM - Chloe is now 12 weeks old and doing very well. For those new ladies we had a pretty straight forward birth. I had GD from the 26 week check and was diet controlled till the end. I only had 4 levels over 7.0 in the entire last 12 weeks of PG. I naturally went into labour 11 days early (although early signs of pre-eclampsia) and had a 10 hour labour. Chloe was 6lb 14oz (3.1kg) and did not get any jaundice. We stayed in hospital for 5 nights as my milk only came in on day 5.
    Am due now to retake the GTT which scares the living c$^p out of me (as some will know). I've been having some indulgences since the birth but to be honest sweet foods make me think "don't eat it or the diabetes will come back!". I really just need to take the test and get it done so i can relax.

Well I best be off now and do some cleaning up while little miss is asleep.

Unhappy Newbie here

hi ladies,

well i was diagnosed with GD 1.5 wks ago and after trying diet modification and increased excercise, my levels are still not "acceptable" so i am now booked in to see an endocrinologist next Monday 24 Novem to start insulin injections - how many of you in here have had to do injections?? - i am TERRIFIED of needles, so im stressed about the injections - even doing the pin ***** monitoring has been a struggle for me so im really worried about the injections for insulin

any advice you can give would be great....

Hi gill
    I was like you in regards to needles i thought how could i possibly do this but to be honest with you and i am being VERY honest i find that the pin *****s on the fingers are alot worse than the injections. I have injections twice a day and they are fine. The first timeit is a weird sensation as you are giving yourself and injections but it becomes very routine and easy to do and trust me when i say this they dont hurt (well i haven't found them too anyway). I was only given a week to see if food would keep my numbers down and within that week my levels were very high and i was put on insulin with 7 days. I have now been injecting insulin for about 6 weeks or so and it is ok. The best advice i got from this thread was that it is MEDICINE FOR THE BABY and our priority is to look after ourselves and have a healthy happy decent sized bub. My thoughts are with you and if you want to chat feel free at anytime.
    AFM - Well it looks like i will be induced next week, we will find out the date on Tuesdy but it will probably be either Thursday or Friday. I am starting to get a little nervous now as flashbacks of my first daughters birth is becoming real. I am having trouble sleeping and up every 2-3 hours as i have pain in my groin and need to constantly wee. My levels have been all over the place again and i have been having a few hypos' lately. To be honest with you all i believe it is time for bub to come out i have had enough. Bring on next week if i hve a similiar labour to my first child it should be over within an hour to two hours and i will get to hold my precious bub..yipppeee
    Take Care Everyone

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed with GD. Again I know it is early (I am 15 weeks pregnant), but I have PCOS and Insulin Resistant, thyroid problem, so they have been watching it.

I am currently on 3000 mg of Metformin, but am blood testing myself every morning before breakfast and 2 hours after every meal.

At this stage, I seem to be controlling it, with the help of metformin and don't at this stage have to have insulin.

Any hints on controlling it???

I am still going through what I can eat and what I can't and struggling with it a little bit.

I find that my bloods before breakfast seem a little high (but still under range) and I don't know why.

Any help will be really appreciated...

xxx Sue xxx

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd pop my head in here. Have been diagnosed with GD again which is a bit of a bummer but seeing as I did it all last time, it's not such a big shock to the system this time. Bit of history on me. Was diagnosed with GD at 29 weeks with Amy and kept blood sugars under control with diet and exercise but Amy still decided to arrive 3.5 weeks early and still weighed 7pound4! She would've been pretty big at full term methinks! Had my GTT at 9 weeks post birth mainly cos I couldn't face doing it at 6 weeks and unfortunately was diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance so was prepared to have GD this time around. had to have the GTT at 18 weeks this time so we could start controlling early so joy, I have 20 weeks of monitoring compared to 7 last time! Doesn't seem so bad this time around though having to do the monitoring. Last time seemed like it was never going to end but this time I guess I'm a lot more relaxed. And because my diet never went back to the way it was because of the IGT we haven't had to make too many changes to my diet. Yay! Still wish I didn't have it though. Let's hope this time around I can keep it under control again. Sorry for lack of personals but just had a chance to pop my head in quickly and so haven't read up on your journeys yet. Will do so now.

oooh lots of new ladies here! That's kinda good & bad really - gives you all more company but shame that you've all got to put up with it!

NikW - that's a shame about the IGT and getting GD again but great that the dietary changes aren't so hard this time around. It sounds like you're going to do brilliantly, good on you! I'm intrigued that you were supposed to do your GTT 6 weeks post-birth. Mine was supposed to be 12 weeks (I think? like snowchickie) but i saw my obs and he didn't mention it at all! So i GUESS I should call up and get the referral. Plus I don't think my GP knows I had GD cos I've changed GP's (mine went on mat leave!)... so I could be sneaky, but i know in the long run that's not wise. So anyways, my GTT is due to be done on Xmas day haha! Not likely!

sryan - welcome to the group. Re hints for controlling it, google low glycaemic index foods and also look at Diabetes Australia website - there's lots of handy stuff there. I know exercise is meant to really help control levels, as well as making sure you have protein as part of your meals/snacks & 5 small meals a day - stuff like that. I found this link in particular was good (especially the Healthy Eating for Gestational Diabetes Fact Sheet). Good luck with it and post your questions here, everyone is really helpful

Trac73 - OMG next week that is very exciting, can't wait to hear your announcement! All the best with it.

gill77 - I agree with what Trac said, and I also had to do insulin (after a few weeks it became clear that diet control wasn't doing it for me). I spent the weekend before starting them being PETRIFIED... but honestly the anticipation was worse than the actual thing I think. Firstly, they're not like real big blood taking needles or anything like that. They're much shorter & finer... very very little & fine actually! I would say they were no worse than the finger pr!cking, and if you're lucky, you might only have to do it once a day (that was me). I found the first one or two mentally stressful (had DH there cheering me on - he also offered to do it for me) and then after that it got pretty routine. You can do it, and you'll be amazed what you can do for your little bubba. And you know what? After I'd had to learn to do it, and discovered I was ok with it - I felt pretty darn proud of myself. So good luck with it, post in here and sending big to help you get through it. It DOES get better.

Megan - hi, hope you're going ok.

Snowchickie, Becci, Tennykins, Angelraez, sorry hope i haven't forgotten anyone else, hope you're all doing great

For me, we're going well. Xander has stacked on an impressive 2kg in 7 weeks and is a gorgeous happy little bubba - I couldn't ask for more!

For the new ladies, I was diagnosed with GD after monitoring BSL's (I stuffed up the GTT by vomiting 1 1/2 hours in), went on insulin (protaphane) in the mornings, starting on 8 units, and going up to 18 by the time X was born. I also have dietary restrictions due to Fructose Malabsorption (I can't eat wheat, onion, most fruit and some other vegies), and i found the dietary changes with GD AND being PG very hard. Re the birth, I was induced at 39 weeks, and he was born with the assistance of forceps (and failed suction) after a 12 hour labour (with epidural). I had a fabulous doula and was very proud of my birth. Xander went to special care nursery but had ok BSL's for the first 24 hours (but was topped up with formula) and roomed with me mostly. He also spent about 60 hours under lights for pretty bad jaundice. I spent a whopping 8 days in hospital, oh and X weighed 7lbs 7oz. I'm happy to answer any questions re my birth or GD stuff here or by PM

Cheers,
    Belfie

thanks for the warm welcome Trac & Belfie and trying to alay my fear of injecting!! - im hoping that i will only have to do the insulin once a day, but i guess i wont know anymore until i see the endocrinologist on Monday

will keep you all posted on how it goes

Hi Girls,

Snowchickie - Have you been for your GTT yet? Good luck and let us know how you got on. I have been told to go for mine 6 - 8 weeks after birth and that will be in 2 - 4 wks time. But I think I might wait until just after xmas to go. I couldn't handle xmas if I've just be diagnosed with diabetes. It would ruin my day I think.

Sue - Good to see you've joined the group. As I said in my pm to you that these girls are full of useful information and it is great to chat to people who know what you're going through. you can control yours through diet and execise alone.

Trac - Not long to go now. Cant wait to hear how everything goes.

Nik - Welcome to the group. Sorry it couldnt be for better circumstances.

Hi Belfie, I am glad that Xander is such a good baby. 2kg in 7 wks, that's great.

When I had Lara she actually spent the first night in special care. They monitored her bsl's and they were all good. She was given formula in there as well.

Better go, hi to anyone that I may have missed.

NikW - Hi NikW and welcome to the thread. That is no good about your IGT and it is my biggest fear at present as I'm about to retake my GTT post birth. I'm curious if you had any symptoms of the IGT beforehand??? Although i may not want to know the answer. I'm booked for my GTT this coming Thursday so I start the 3 day diet on Monday.. I haven't had any symptoms (while PG i got the excessive thirst part of it - but that has gone) so I'm hoping and praying that i get the all clear. It has really been a big part of my thoughts since birth and I've been dreading it since..

With your IGT what do you have to do to avoid getting full diabetes? Did you fall into any of the pre-defined risk groups?

Leigh26 - As per above reply no I haven't taken the GTT again yet. I have it booked in for this coming Thursday and start the 3 day diet on Monday. My Endo said 6-8 weeks but my OB said 12 weeks and that is the referral he gave me. All the more happy to let my body have as much time as possible to get back to all good. I am feeling this is going to be a highly anxious/nervous week for me and even worse till I get the results which because it's so late in the week I assume I'll have to wait over the weekend for..

AFM - Eagerly awaiting this week to just be over with and to get my GTT results. I'm sure everyone can tell I'm REALLY nervous and unfortunately I've put it off as long as I can. Chloe is 14 weeks on Monday so should really have been taken when she was 12 weeks. I'm hoping that the fact that I feel fine is a good sign..
    Planning to try and keep myself as occupied as I can this week with something to do each day which requires me to get out of the house.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast