Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

Katones - well done on the good levels, and that's a pain re feeling sick. I probably had the opposite, I'd been feeling quite ill in the evenings but found once I started insulin I wasn't as bad (have not idea if it was related or not!).
    this morning my BSL was great and i am determined that they are going to stay that way...
    The only thing they keep telling me is that you may eat PERFECTLY and still get some higher levels due to bubs having a growth spurt or hormones changing... so please don't worry if they go high and you've eaten well - it's not your fault. Re doc saying the scary stuff, geez they're annoying aren't they. My doc mentioned them in passing, but basically said they are SO rare, don't worry about it but these are the reasons we manage the GD rather than just ignoring it, because historically people had these problems.

melbel - thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of the mag... wonder if it comes out before I'm due? hehe. I agree the books are great, I've got some of 'em too.

kgb - how are you going? Are you seeing your DE & endo today? Good luck I hope they give you lots of good info

Lovely ladies with babies - I hope your little bundles are all going well.

My BSL's have been quite erratic this week. Two high ones... probably should have called the DE, but then the next day was great... so I didn't get around to it. Then last night my machine wouldn't work! Have to call the help line this morning and see what's going on! It has registered the calibration strip, but isn't registering any of the testing strips I put in it! Otherwise, still loving mat leave, started washing all my baby clothes yesterday... such fun hanging them all out!!!! The biggest challenge is washing & drying the blue stuff unseen - as none of our friends/family know we're having a boy... so I'm trying to sneak it in between visitors. (And I've bought some blue things cos they were all on awesome specials!).

Hope you all have a great Friday.
    Belfie.

P.S. well I just rang the helpline and it turns out my glucometer isn't working properly so I have to get it swapped for a new one! Would have been a wait till Mon/Tues, or I can pop out & pick it up - as they're in Doncaster which isn't far from me at all! Anyone else had theirs stop working ever? Mine is an Optium Exceed.
    Last edited by belfie; August 29th, 2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: glucometer broken!

Hey Belfie...

glad i now have people to talk to about my GD.

We are having a boy aswell but everyone knows... i have started washing all of bubs stuff aswell, but yesturday it got abit cl9oudy here so i hung it all on the clothes rack inside.

Anyways best be off talk soon

Hi, Katones.
    Welcome to the thread, and sorry to hear about your GD.
    I hope it's all going well for you and you've have a great pg so far.
    It is great to have people to support and talk with about it. It helped me loads, especially at first.

Belfie - Nah, mine hasn't stopped working. What a pain to have to get it replaced. I have an Acuchek Performa or something like that. Lol.
    We didn't tell anyone the sex ofour bubba or anything either. We already had blue stuff from DS1, so I was just buying the things I needed in white. (plus we weren't fully convinced he was a boy either, but that's a whole other issue. Lol)

Hope you're all having a great day.

xx

kgb Guest

Hi girls

I went to see the DE and Dietition this morning, things are a lot clearer now, and thanks to you ladies I feel at ease even if I do need injections down the track. I am going to do my best with the diet now that I know how much is a serve of carbs.

KGB

Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post
    Hi ladies
    I am booked in for an elective ceaser on 23 October. Is it true the first 24 hours the baby is taken away from the mother for testing? That really is distressing to me.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

KGB
    kgb - Firstly welcome to the thread and by all means ask as many questions as you want, we have all done the exact same thing when we were diagnosed so ask away. I had Chloe 11 days ago and whilst she was not "taken away" for testing she did end up spending the first night in the nursery. They took her first BSL immediately after birth and it was 3.1 which they were happy about (needed to be over 2.5). Her second BSL which was about 4 hours later and before her next feed (I BF her immediately after delivery) was 2.4 so she was taken to the nursery and given some formula to try to bring her level back up. It had the opposite effect and sent her to a 1.6 reading so she had a feeding tube put in and they began tube feeding her 15ml of formula every hour. Her levels sorted themselves out over that night and she was fine the next day. She had the tube in for about a day while she was watched but she came back the next morning to me. I guess the Dr is just trying to let you know there is a chance but it's not a hard and fast rule. My hubby went to the nursery with her each time they took her to test.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennykins View Post
    I put on hardly any weight of my own. After I found out and the diet and whatnot, I was losing my own weight, but then only started gaining a few kgs in the end.
    In my first pg, I packed on loads of kilos and I didn't have GD then.

I'm not sure if weight is a factor in GD. Some really overweight people don't get GD, whereas other skinny ladies do. I'm not sure.

I'm not exactly skinny myself though. Lol.
    tennykins/kgb - Must agree here. I didn't not even gain 4kg from my pre-preg weight and I'm not overweight, have always had a healthy diet and always exercised so it's really not always the obvious risk factors. Really more to do with how your body copes with the extra load from baby.

Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post
    I am freaking out, for lunch today I had a cheese and salad roll and avocado on a multigrain roll with mushroom soup from our work cafeteria and a diet coke. I got a reading of 8.2!!! This has been my lunch for the past couple of month, little did I know I know I had GD, my poor baby!

It must have been the grain roll, this reading is almost the same reading I got after having the sugary drink at the Glucose test.

What has been the worst reading and which food is the worst (I know the white stuff is meant to be the worst)? Does diet coke affect insulin? (I know there is no sugar).

Sorry to be a pain.

KGB
    kgb - I found that my normal bread i used to eat EVERY day (helga's wholemeal or grain breads - I don't eat white bread even pre-preg) put my levels up to an 8 range. I then went and bought a Low GI bread and it put my levels up to a 9 range so it really can vary with breads and pasta on a person by person situation. I found the one bread I could have no problems is the Wholemeal Vienna loaf from Bakers Delight or Fruit & Spice loaf.

Quote Originally Posted by katones View Post
    Hi
    just got home from hospital visit with diabetes endocrinologist...
    I am 33 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and have GD.. GREAT
    this is my third bub (no previous GD) this will be my third ceasar also.
    My readings have been up/down, so i am now on insulin twice daily.. before dinner and before breakkie 4 units each time.

Dr scared the crap outta me.. i know if not controlled properly bub can be BIG, but to tell me that he can have breathing probs when born, or just in rare cases simply die in utero..scared me BIG time...
    Anyways thats me...
    katones - Welcome to the thread.. Dr is probably trying to make sure you are prepared but sometimes cannot have the best "approach" in telling us these things. Our bub didn't have any breathing issues but has some low BSL's which corrected themselves but I guess it's a matter of being prepared for possibilities so it doesn't completely throw you off if something were to occur.

Me - everything going well. Still BF'ing but have had some rough nights. Chloe seems to have her unsettled period during the night so having to try and soothe her the best I can. Otherwise all good.

snowchickie79 - thanks for the info re Chloe and the first day or so. I'd initially read something like that but then felt reassured when no-one in here seemed to have it happen to them.

At my breastfeeding class today, I was told that at my hospital, my baby WILL automatically be admitted to the nursery and assigned a paediatrician to keep an eye on him, due to the fact I'm on insulin. I was also told that it would be for 48 hours, but that I would definitely still be able to breastfeed. I was pretty rattled by this, as 48 hours sounds like a long time to me (even though I guess it will go quickly once I'm there). I plan to ask my obs more about this at my appt on Monday. I'm a bit peeved I had to find this out during the "break" at a breastfeeding class! And I wonder when they would have told me otherwise. Grrr. I realise that it's probably good for baby to have an extra careful eye on him, so I guess it's not all bad... I suppose it's more about being mentally prepared.

How did you feel when she went to the nursery? Did you find it ok, or was it upsetting? And I have the same question in relation to the tube-feeding too.

kgb - I'm glad to hear the DE & dietician helped.
    Katones - totally agree, it's great having people to talk to.

On a totally selfish note, it's nice having you ladies here, as I think nearly everyone else with GD has now had their bubbas, so it's nice to have the company (even though I'd rather you guys didn't have to put up with GD as well!). I picked up my replacement glucometer this arvo (so I had 24 hours off testing in the end - WOO HOO)... and now i"m back on the treadmill again. I went through a bit of the wah wahs tonight, guess I was wishing I'd managed to avoid insulin... then I'd be less likely to be induced, and bubba would be less likely to go to nursery etc. etc... And maybe if I'd just tried harder somehow I could have avoided it... my DH and lovely sister both pointed out that i'd done everything right, eaten really well and my levels still went up so I shouldn't blame myself. I think that's the challenging thing with GD - it's just something else to deal with on top of everything else. As U2 said... "some days ARE better than others".

There we go, enough of my late night philosphical ramblings (I tried to go to bed then realised I was hungry - so have just had a late night low GI snack!)
    Oh and to everyone I missed.

well last nights reading 2hrs post dinner was CRAP and then this mornings was crap!! this is really getting me down in the dumps...
    We had tacos for dinner last night, maybe it was the 'soft white tacos' i ate?? i don't know.. but i am worried...

hiya

i think i posted in here. I had GD last pregnancy and was having problems at the start with my levels with this pregnancy which turns out to be twins. After 2 weeks they settled down.

But my doctor has me set up to have a 3 hour GTT at 16 weeks which i will do about the 7th of Sept. I am not looking forward to my results.

Angel

Katone, yip, the taco would be the culprit there. Remember that the insulin resistance is going to go up as your pregnancy progresses too, so you may find it harder and harder to control your BSL's with diet. Not saying you will end up on insulin, but just warning you there may be an upward trend in your readings as time goes on so things that were o.k may start pushing you over the limit.

Belfie, that is horrible to find out that your baby will go into care for 48 hours during a coffee break! Was it an actual doctor that told you or just someone that thinks they know what they are talking about? I was on high insulin and bub remained in my room with me the entire time. He had 4 hourly BSL's until he returned 3 consecutive normal results (luckily he only needed three tests - they were all in range). I would fight over that one, I can understand if there is some sort of problem with bub but I would have hated to be kept away from my DS just because of hospital policy.

Angelraelz, congrats on twins! Good luck for your GTT

KGB, the GD probably wouldn't have set in until around 26 weeks anyhow so don't stress about your roll for lunch. 8.2 isn't even that high, your bub wil be fine.

Artechim
    I am already on insulin, although only a small dose (4units before dinner & 4units before breakfast) i think i am now going to just eat as bland as possible...

As soon as i inject myself not even 5mins after i have done so i feel VERY nautious.. is this normal?? last night i also didn't feel good at all after injecting...

Hmmmm I'm not sure on the nausia. I have a feeling they said something about it but can't remember for sure.
    If you're at all concerned call your dr or DE.
    Hope you feel better soon.

Are you nervous or anxious about doing the injections at all Katones? That's all I can think of at the moment. Five minutes after an injection is too soon for the insulin have started working as it takes at least 30 minutes to kick in if you are on an actrapid/protophane mix which is what most GD's use. If you are worried about it an it doesnt settle down i would ring your dr or De and maybe they can change the type of insulin you are on to see if that makes a difference.

hiya

i had high levels with Isaac my last. I was on 20 - 24 units (novorapid) before breakfast, lunch and dinner and then 80 units before bed (long lasting - can't remember hte name). As i got bigger it climbed higher. It was one of the reasons why i was induced. My little man was in Special Care for 3 days due to low blood sugar but i was on very high insulin levels. It wasn't as bad as what i thought it would be.

Any questions ask away.

Angel

nope NOT nervous at all doing the injections.. had to do them with IVF prior to getting pregnant with this bub...

i have a OB appointment tomorrow so will see what they say...

this morning pre- breakfast was a doozy & 2hrs post breakkie was even HIGHER...

Quote Originally Posted by belfie View Post
    snowchickie79 - thanks for the info re Chloe and the first day or so. I'd initially read something like that but then felt reassured when no-one in here seemed to have it happen to them.

At my breastfeeding class today, I was told that at my hospital, my baby WILL automatically be admitted to the nursery and assigned a paediatrician to keep an eye on him, due to the fact I'm on insulin. I was also told that it would be for 48 hours, but that I would definitely still be able to breastfeed. I was pretty rattled by this, as 48 hours sounds like a long time to me (even though I guess it will go quickly once I'm there). I plan to ask my obs more about this at my appt on Monday. I'm a bit peeved I had to find this out during the "break" at a breastfeeding class! And I wonder when they would have told me otherwise. Grrr. I realise that it's probably good for baby to have an extra careful eye on him, so I guess it's not all bad... I suppose it's more about being mentally prepared.

How did you feel when she went to the nursery? Did you find it ok, or was it upsetting? And I have the same question in relation to the tube-feeding too.
    belfie - That is terrible to find that out at a breastfeeding class. We were told all these little bits and pieces during our antenatal classes which was run by the hospital and the teacher was the RN with neonatal quals who looks after the bubs in nursery. So she did let us know about the GD bubs and what "might" happen but there was no mention of automatic 48 hours.

Initially when Chloe had her first BSL immediately after birth I was really happy as she got a 3.1 (had to be over 2.5) and then she BF straight afterwards for almost an hour. About 4 hours later I was going to try to BF her again so I had to call the nurse as they needed to do her BSL prior to eat meal until she got 3 readings over 2.5. The 2nd reading was 2.4 so only just under the min. They bought her back and the nursery nurse came (who was also our antenatal teacher and gave us great relief knowing she was looking after Chloe) and explained that they would take her to nursery and give her a formula feed to try to bring her level up. They would then keep her an hour and test her again. If her sugars had gone back up then she could come back to me but if not then she would need to stay in nursery overnight. Her next reading was 1.6!! The paedeatrician was then called and they came in and told us what would happen. They advised they would insert a feeding tube, down her nose into her belly so that they could easily feed her without her having to exert any energy. The process of BF'ing uses up blood sugars so instead of trying to BF her to get her levels up it could have used up more sugars than those she would get from BF'ing, hence the feeding tube to take away any energy she would otherwise have to use to feed and also to assist with her not getting used to a bottle. She was taken back to nursery and we were told to wait 15 minutes and then we could go up and see her, enough time to put in the tube without us getting upset. I heard her cry but they assured me it was an annoyance cry rather than a pain. A kind nurse explained to me that her 6yo son had to have a feeding tube put in and that he is capable of telling her when something hurts and he didn't complain about it at all. That made me feel better about it but I was still a little upset just because I had wanted her with us. Here I was with no belly anymore and no baby near me so that was difficult. They begun 1hour formula/colostrum feeds (I manually expressed and they mixed it with formula). They then tested each hour and would continue that until she got 3 x levels over 2.5. The midnight BSL test we were invited to come to so we went up there and they tested her while we stood with her. I rubbed her belly and crossed my fingers for a higher reading and she gave us a 4.8.. I was so happy. They kept her overnight to make sure she got 2 more high readings so we then went back to our room and tried to get some rest. I think I got an hour or two but each time I heard a baby cry I wondered if it was her, she hadn't cried with me so I had no idea what her cry sounded like. We were told we could go down to the nursery (only about 20m away) at any time to see her. I was told they would bring her back to me around 6am to feed if all was fine but if any problems they'd wake me. I still didn't sleep and each time I heard a trolley come down the hall I'd wake thinking it was them bringing her back. Sure enough though, 6.30am she came rolling back in and she stayed with us from then onwards. They took out the tube at 3pm that day and did some additional random BSLs in the day or two afterwards but all were fine and they then stopped testing her. Her poor little feet though had little pin ***** marks and band-aid spots on them. I felt really bad about that part and seeing her be tested but they generally took her to nursery to do that so I wasn't watching.

Hope that helps and just my experience.

snowchickie79 - thank you SO much . I really appreciate hearing about it - I guess it's one of those things, sometimes it's easier to cope with if you have a chance to mentally prepare for what might happen. My heart went out to you when you said how you didn't know what her cry would sound like, it sounds like a difficult first night. But, it's really good to get an idea of what can happen. How is your gorgeous little bubba girl going now?
    For me, one suggestion a friend has made is that if I know that bubba boy will be in the nursery, I ask for a room as near to nursery as possible. I'm seeing my obs tomorrow morning, so I'll be asking him all about this!!

katones - good luck with your appt and hopefully they can do something to ease that nausea, that's no fun at all. And doing IVF & GD, gosh you'd think you'd get an easy path by now wouldn't you! Very unfair.

angelraelz - Good luck with your GTT on the 7th & congrats on the twins! With your previous PG, did your insulin get steadily higher or did you need to jump it up quite quickly? I'm only on 14 units of protaphane in the mornings, so i'm kinda hoping it'll stay relatively low. After a few dodgy BSL's, the last few days have been really good & steady - and I've been on 14 for 2 weeks now, so I guess I wonder if it's likely to need to go up or not... guess that'll depend on the pancreas & the hormones huh!

Artechim - that's good that your bubba didn't have to go away. How high was your insulin in the end?

kgb - I hope you've had a good weekend and those BSL's are going well.

My obs also mentioned that we may need a sizing scan - did any of you have one? And did it seem to be accurate? I've heard some very mixed things about them! My fundal height isn't measuring particularly ahead (I think that's cos I've stopped gaining weight & lost a kilo or so - since about 28 weeks), but I was thinking if we're supposed to have one, I'd guess it would have to be fairly soon - there's not THAT long to go!

Apart from that, I'm busy getting my nursery set up & washing baby clothes... lots of fun! Hope you're all going well. I've discovered that I can't get away with gluten free pizza (probably wise!) but I can manage a gluten free lasagne with minimal pasta layers - YUM!

Belfie

Hey angelraelz.
    I hope your GTT goes well and the results are fine.
    Congrats on your twins. How exciting!
    Do you know the genders? Identical or fraternal?
    (sorry if I'm nosey, just tell me to stfu if I am too nosey.)
    I'm a fraternal twin.

Belfie - I had an u/s at around 36wks. It was for sizing and all that jazz, I think. It didn't show that he was overly huge or anything. It was accurate for me, I guess. He was around the size we thought. My fundal height wasn't really written down or anything in the last couple months, so I have no idea if I was on target or not. No one said anything about it, so I must have been fine. Lol.
    Yay! for the pasta. I missed pasta when I was pg. It didn't agree with me. Lol.
    I hope you're doing great and relaxing aswell as looking after yourself.

Katones - Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I hope it all goes great!!

Kgb - Great to hear your appointments went well the other day.
    xx

Belfie you might find that youare on the thome stretch with the insulin doses. Most people find that their insulin requirements tend to level out at around the 34 - 36 week mark and some even get a small decrease...if you get a big decrease however please let your dr know as this can mean the placenta is startign to break down, something that is also a little bit more common in GDs and Ds in general. All in all though I would say you are right on track...good stuff!!
    Sizing scan are usually done on D patients but just be aware that they can be out be out by as much as a pound and if you are prone to have to big baby it my be genetics not D and vice versa so a grain of salt is my advice with a sizing scan (unless of course they tell you you are having a 13 pounder or something!!) hehe......

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast