Thread: Is this medication safe?

Default Is this medication safe?

I have OCD and my OB and psychiatrist want me on the medication Lorazepam for the next month or so.

I am obsessing about taking this medication.

Is it ok to take?

paradise lost Guest

I'm sure part of the obsessing is the OCD, and this is a cruel vicious circle to be caught in.

Lorazepam is not recommended for use during the first trimester as other benzodiazepines have been found to cause problems for the developing fetus. However though it is to be prescribed with caution it is generally safe for use in the 2nd and 3rd tri's if taken under medical observation. It is recommended that you stop taking it before the birth as it can cause depressed breathing etc. at birth, but you are only to take it for a month, so that's not a concern.

Your doctors know you are pregnant, so yes, you will be safe to take this medicine and get some relief from the anxiety of OCD.

Bx

Thanks for your reply.

You are right, part of my stressing about this med is the OCD.

I reserached the medication and OCD in pregnancy and treatments etc and found out this med is a category D med and should only be used if the dr beleives the benefits of taking this med far outweigh the risk to the fetus.

Im not willing to take that risk.

There are category B meds they could have me on instead, so i am going to discuss these options with them.

paradise lost Guest

Sounds like you are a wise, forward-thinking mummy, and your kids are lucky to have you!

You're right, there are other options, i just didn't know if perhaps your docs had tried those already/had reasons for not prescribing them. I guess all too often a doctor will prescribe what he is familiar with to save himself having to research new things.

Best of luck hun.

Bx