Thread: MIgraine during Pregnancy

Default MIgraine during Pregnancy

I have been a migraine sufferer since I was about 6yo, but have been able to manage them very effectively using aspirin or aspalgin (contains aspirin).

Unfortunately, now that I'm pg, aspirin is a total no-no, and I'm desperate for a solution to my migraines. My OB prescribed panadeine forte, but it barely touches the pain ... at best, it slightly dulls it for a few hours, then it's back again. I've had a constant headache for about 7 weeks now, which flares up into a full blown migraine every 4-5 days.

To make it worse, morning sickness has only just kicked in for me, and since I'm really bad at taking tablets at the best of times, attempting to take panadeine forte usually just makes me vomit. And then I'm never sure if I should take some more (because I've vomited it up) or if I should take them again in 4 hrs, as per normal dosage.

I'm home from work sick today with a migraine and at the end of my tether .. I managed to get down 2 panadeine forte at about 8am, then threw up 10 mins later. So I'm now in agony, and don't know what to do

Does anybody have any great ideas for pain relief during pregnancy for a migraine???

I just spoke to my OB.

He said there's not much we can do in the way of pain-relief drugs, but did say that if I throw up after 10 mins, I can take more tablets, not wait for another 4 hrs.

He also said that a good option would be to come into hospital and have fluids via an IV drip - he said often if we treat the dehydration, the headache/migraine will go away.

I told him that I'd keep it as a back-up plan, as it seems a bit drastic to go into hospital just for pain - I'm not actually at risk of anything happening. What do you think?

Cherie it's up to you, but if the pain gets unbearable, maybe you should try what he suggests and see if it is a viable option for you?

My friend used to get migraines when she was pregnant. She also saw a naturopath who helped her a bit via supplements and diet related stuff. She would see a physio for a weekly massage too, which she found fabulous.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

cherie, im in the same boat as you hunny.

Try this...get a hand towel (or small towel). wet it thoroughly, wring it, and put it in the microwave for a minute or so until its steaming hot.

Wait until its bearable (yet still hot to touch) and wrap it tightly around your neck. It will be hot only for a few seconds.

This has helped many (not all) of my migraines by increasing blood flow back into the head.

Let me know if it works sweetheart

Ahhhh .. that does feel good Danni. Thanks so much for the suggestion hun. I was worried that I would blow up the microwave, but it didn't sem to do it any harm lol.

Thanks for the tip Christine - I had a massage last week and it did help for a few days - I've got another one booked for next week, as I thought we could only afford fortnightly (even though DH tells me not to be so silly lol) but I might have to re-think that

brilliant!!! I was hospitalised for a long time in year 12 with severe migraines. And one ambulance officer gave me that tip and it saved me from a lot of drugs sometimes!

You can keep doing it as often as you like too!

Also as well as regular massages, try seeing the chiropractor too. I saw one yesterday and she adjusted my neck, shoulders and back and it felt brilliant! and its good for bubs too

Cherie, just on the massage, I think it's a great idea. I have been suffering with headaches lately (due to the synarel i think) and I am lucky that I get a weekly 15 minute massage at work. Yesterday she worked mainly on my shoulders & neck in that time and it was almost instant relief and I have no sign of a headache today. By the time each Thursday comes around I am well and truly ready for it and love it.
    So, if you can manage the weekly massage I think it will make a difference!

I hope the MS doesn't hang around too long!

Hi honey,
    Hope your still not in to much discompfort. I also have suffered from migraines for years however am not pregnant. The things i found to help were low lighting and lavender oil. A couple of drops massaged into my temples and one on my pillow case. I THINK its safe during pregnancy;but please check,hth

Pauline

The only caution in relation to lavender oil is that is should not be used if you have low blood pressure.

BW

Cherie I'm so sorry its taken me this long!! I've had migranes on/off for years and pregnancy is awful... a month ago I got physio and it stopped the migrane. HTH! I did heat packs on my neck & was vomitting, but after physio I felt sore but not as intense as a migrane.

Thanks guys .. I'm feeling much more human now.

I used Danni's trick with the hot towel, put some spearmint oil on my pillow to help the nausea (I didn't have any lavender) and managed to keep down 2 panadeine after breaking them into tiny bits, and then I feel asleep for 3 hrs!

The massage really did help last time - I had about 4 days completely headache-free, so I definitely think I'll have to start having that more often, as I'm not sure I can stand this for another 6 months.

Megan - I hear you on the synarel!!!! Nasty stuff - it just plays havoc with your hormones, and I've always been prone to 'menstrual migraines' which the synarel just made worse. Lucky you to have a weekly massage though - sounds lovely

Christy, with the physio, did they give you a massage, or was it more neck/back adjustments? I'm not sure if I should complement the massage I am getting with a massage therapist with physio, or if they'd be sort of doing the same thing IYKWIM.

Yeah they do generally a small amount of manipulation and then a massage afterwards, so if the massage by itself helps than go for it!