Thread: Rubella immunity?

Default Rubella immunity?

Hi all,

I work in a pre-school and today my boss told me that 2 girls from one family were home with spots and their mum was taking them to the doctor today to check it out..a few minutes later I tickled one of the kids and she said stop because it makes her spots hurt. Then she lifted up her T-shirt and I saw she had a good 30 spots all over her tummy and she has a couple on her neck and face as well.

I had my MMR shot as a baby and then had a rubella shot in grade 6. I'm flipping out on the inside because I'm terrified of having a baby with Rubella Effects Syndrome. Has anyone else been in this situation? What have your outcomes been?

Thanks,
    Adèle

Well to give you all an update,

I spoke to the mum of the 2 girls with spots (and their brother is spotty too!) and she will take them to the doctor tomorrow at 1pm but she's quite sure that it's impetigo which is not such a problem for me and the little tacker in me but it'll be a bee-atch to eradicate from the preschool when we have 28 little monsters running around touching everything and playing closely!

Failing that it would be chickenpox she says, which is also not a problem for me as I had that when I was 11. She said all 3 of her kids were immunised as babies so she really

I don't know if it's just psychosomatic or if I am really itchy!!! I'm trying to tell myself that I just used too much detergent in the last laundry load!

Did you have a BT done when you found out you were pregnant ?
    If you did that should say if you are immune is rubella. Most people are okay.
    When i had mine done they found out i was low and need to have my rubella shot done once the baby is born.

If you are worried go and talk to your Dr and see if they can do a BT.

Hi,

Yes, you should have a whole range of blood tests in early pregnancy and in that they test your rubella immunity. They would tell you if you had no immunity to it straight away.

Adele, Michelle gives good advice. If you are at all concerned, chat with your doc or midwife. You should have had a series of blood tests done early in your pregnancy but when depends on if you are going public or private. I didn't have mine done until 10 weeks (going Private) but your GP can organise an immunity test at any time. Try not to worry about it (I know, easier said than done). If it is measels that is going around, you might need to take some time off work because the little ones can be contagious before they show spots (not trying to freak you out). But, have a chat with your doc first and keep on the parents to find out what condition the kid has.

To answer your question about what I do - I work as a nurse and I find it easier to avoid anyone I suspect who has measels. It can be hard for me because I normally work in Alcohol and Other Drugs where clients can get scabs on their faces as a side effect of the drugs they take meaning we have to ask if they have measels (in a tactful way). But it is a precaution I, and all the other pregnant workers at my work (yes, there are a lot of us!), take. Our client's understand and I'm yet to hear a negative comment (most will tell us without us asking). At the moment I'm working in a hospital with kids and Mum's understand - they've been there.

Good luck and keep us updated!

MG

Thanks all,

I'm about 6½ weeks pregnant so here in Sweden you don't sign up with a midwife until between weeks 8 and 12. I'm going to call the midwives clinic today and see if I can go in for a test. from what I can figure from the symptoms and all, I'm guessing it's chickenpox. From what I hear, I'm unlikely to get that twice.

Cheers,
    Adèle

Hi Adele
    I am a primary school teacher and there were chn at school with the chicken pox while i was in the early stages of preg. I had my blood tests and they discovered that i had no immunity to rubella and it was noted that i required the shots once i'd had bub. I had chicken pox when i was younger so i wasn't too stressed out about getting it again...but i know how u must be feeling. U'll prob be fine

Thanks so much,

That's really reassuring!

We got the word today that it is impetigo after all which is not the most fun bacteria to try to erradicate but it's a lot better than chickenpox or measles

I'll be making an appointment with the midwife for about 1½-2 weeks time so I'll make sure I have some tests while I'm there.

Cheers,
    A

I am in the same situation..... I work in a preschool and there was an outbreak of the chickenpox.... I had the vaccination about 5 years ago as I have never had it - My obs took a blood test and it turns out that I am still not immune to chicken pox and now I have to have a month off work....

My Obs did say though, that it is highly unlikely to pick up rubella (as the vaccination is very effective and the majority of the population has had it) - unlike the chicken pox where the vaccination is not as effective and alot of children have not been immunised...