Thread: Safe cold & flu medications??

Default Safe cold & flu medications??

hi all

Just wondering what medicines are safe to take?? There has been a big change in the weather where i live, and feeling a bit run down along with a touch of a sore throat and the sniffles...

Any one know of some natural remedies??? I'm giving the good old eucalyptus oil a run for its moneY!

I like to use honey for a sore throat. You can put it with hot water and lemon or just take a spoon and suck it.

When I had a blocked nose while PG I was able to take a nasal spray that I got from the chemist, it helped to open up the nose so I could breath more clearly.

Honey & lemon tea is supposed to be really good. Otherwise steaming in the bathroom for a while.

Bugalug - Ithought that you were supposed to stay away from eucalyptus oil when you are pregnant?

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
    Due to the known side effects of eucalyptus, and the unknown effects during pregnancy or breastfeeding, eucalyptus should be avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding women.

from MedlinePlus Herbs and Supplements - from the US National Library of Medicines.

(Sorry, still haven't figured out how to quote!)

When I was PG I used a nasal spray that was safe to use while PG. It helped me to breath easier.

I got an organic nasal spray, ask your chemist what you can & cant have if they dont know they can look it up for you

I know you asked for natural, but there is a medication you can take which is perfectly safe in pregnancy. It is called Dopamin (from memory) - comes in a pink box. Only down side is it can make you super drowsy. Very effective stuff though. It is a pharmacy only medication

HTH

MG

Is Vicks Vaporub or the inhaler stick OK?

You can have category A drugs. I am sick at the moment on th tww. The pharmasist gave me a cough medicine and panadol if I was feverish.

I to am sick at the moment, very run down, sore throat yucky nose etc, I have been to gp twice as its been going on for a week now, only thing i was told was panadol and plenty of rest.
    Not to use any lozengers etc as he said they are not sure on the affect these have, so ive just been having honey when my throat becomes unbearable, plenty of water and rest which i know is easier said then done.

I have had a stubborn cold for the past week or so and I have just been using Vicks under the nose and panadol if it gets too much. Good to know I can get a nasal spray though, I will head to the chemist today and get one so i can sleep throughout the night instead of waking up.....

Fess Nasal spray is safe in pregnancy. However Vicks is not safe in pregnancy. If you look up "Mothersafe" on the web there is a toll free number doesnt matter if you are not in NSW, call them and they can confirm what is safe and what is not, this organisation is part of Royal Randwick for women from what I remember. When I am sick I have been told I can only use panadol and I can use Difflam losenges.

Oh bugger, I didn't know that Vicks wasn't safe during pregnancy eeeeeek I only rub it under my nose..... But I think I will just go out and get that Fess Nasal spray to be safe Thanks for the tip.

yeah that is good to know....Thanks.