Thread: Thrush

Unhappy Thrush

Hi

I've gotten thrush and of course it has to be so close to bubs due date. Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice. Can you get treatment from the chemist without a prescription? Does anyone know which one is best to clear it up quickly during pregnancy and around how much it cost?

Thank you for any replies.

I had thrush when pg with Riley and got caneston from the chemist, you can't have the oral one during pg and they say not to insert it.

Jo,

Firstly, OUCH!

I feel your pain....the one and only time I have ever had thrush was late in my pregnancy with Charlie, and it was horrible.

In terms of treatment, my OB told me that it was perfectly safe to use Canestan pessaries to insert. (The jury is out on this one, but on his advice I went ahead and used it and no issues at all.)

I also used LOADS of Canestan cream as well.

And I cut out sugar/processed foods totally.

And made 100% sure I was wearing only cotton knickers and cotton pants.

It cleared up quickly. You can get all Canestan products from a pharmacy without prescription, from behind the counter, and the cream & pessaries in a 5 day course pack together retail for about $20.

There is also a more recent innovation (I haven't tried it) of Diflucan tablet and cream in a pack for about $20. You take the tablet orally and apply the cream and it is supposed to be good. This may be better in the alter stages of pregnancy? (Although I am not sure if it is recommended during pregnancy, but the pharmacist would know.)

When I was pg with Lexie, I was paranoid I would get thrush again so I took preventative steps in that I also took a probiotic called InLiven, which is AMAZING stuff, and I would totally recommend.

HTH

I had thrush when pregnant with DS2.. I was told to go get the canestan 1 dose?? I think thats what it is called. I had one tablet to insert and it would come out of its own accord.. I was 35 weeks pregnant when I used it and it worked overnight.

Thank you, Mrsmac, Lucy, and Aussienic for your replies. They were a great help. Thanks