Thread: vaginal tissue prolapse??? TMI warning

Default vaginal tissue prolapse??? TMI warning

Ok so I didn't have quite the afternoon I expected... taken to hospital by ambulance wasn't the plan!

I'd had the worst constipation of my life this afternoon... so trying to get this moving but not STRAIN IYKWIM... anyway half way through thought things felt a little... "odd" but maybe just due to the constipation. After finished going (successfully), realised things still felt odd.. as if there was something bulging from my vagina. A quick checked revealed there was. A call to Nurse on Call ran through some checks, lie on your left, bum in the air... not sure what it is, but we're going to call an ambulance to check. Ambo's came to check and said... there's something there, we're not sure what, we'll take u to hosp. Concerns were prolapsed cord or amniotic sac (note: no fluid, cramps, pain etc). Straight through emergency and doc there is concerned it's amniotic sac... NO movement allowed from me and all looked pretty worried. I felt surprising unworried.

So off to the maternity unit, cannula (sp?) in arm (cos they're all worried) and checked by two docs there... who said hmm that's weird... but we DON'T think it's amniotic sac. Listened for bubs heartbeat - YAY - yes all good at 144 bpm (that was a relief). Anyway, after further checks (confirmed cervix definitely closed), they all concurred, it was vaginal tissue NOT amniotic sac nor cord. So you're fine, go home & follow-up with obs!!!

So.... I'm following up with my obs, and obviously I'll be upping the anti-constipation remedies. But my question is... has anyone else ever had this? The thinking is that it was a vaginal tissue prolapse... or something like that. So if anyone knows anything about it, I'd love to know? And what's the risk of recurrence?

Thanks,
    Belfie
    Last edited by belfie; May 25th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Hey Belfie,

At my 6 week check up after having dd, I told the doctor about how things down there werent quite right. He said that my vaginal tissues were starting to prolapse and that I needed to do my pelvic floor exercises regularly. He also said that if they are weak that next time I get pregnant that its possible that I may prolapse coz the bubs will be heavy. Scared the living day lights out of me and I had this vision of a big buldge coming out of my vagina!!! He said they can push it back in?!?!? I dont know if I heard that bit right!!!

So I exercised regularly and things started to 'firm' up.

I am now 13 weeks pregnant and just feel heavy down there and on the look out for a prolapse.

I know that hasnt really answered anything, but I have heard of it.

g/l

Melissa

While I havent specifically heard of it I was thining along the line of the other poster- pelvic floor issues.

I would suggest speaking to your OB about seeing a womens health physio who can work with you to increase your pelvic floor (assuming that tis will help, but sounds like it could). A specalist physio has equipment they can use to monitor the strength of your pelivic floor and can be used during treatment to show you you are using the correct muscles so you can get the correct sensation for the exercises so they are effective (its usually an ultrasound machine)

Good luck, I hope there is something you can do to improve the situation and prevent a re-occurance

Thanks Melissa and musolissa,

From what you've both said, sounds like pelvic floor exercises could only be beneficial. While I've been doing 'em already, I think doing something specific would be very worthwhile, and i didn't know they had a machine that could make sure you're targetting the right area. Plus all I can find out is ppl having this due to or after childbirth, so I'm keen to get a sense on why I might get it at 21 wks!!!!

And on the bright side... bowel movements back to normal today... phew what a relief cos I'm a bit petrified about a reoccurrence.... had visions of myself ringing obs from the work toilet... eep!

Thanks again.
    Belfie