Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning signs

Cool Warning signs

Today i went for my first appointment with a new doctor (in my new town where i have just moved to).

Last few days i was suffering severe headaches, pains down my right side, back pain, feet were swollen so much i had no ankles and lil stubby toes pointing out, and my stomach was aching beyond belief.

I got to the doctors, explained i'd just moved and the symptoms from last few days. He took one look at my feet and wrists and began to worry. Done blood pressure was 130/85. The highest i have had this whole Pg, again he said its very high, but any thing under 140 is still ok but will need to be monitored very closely. Done a urine test where he found 1+ of protein as well as some cultures, so now its being sent off to be further tested. Fundal height was at 33cm which is good. At first he couldnt find a heart beat and i began to worry, but bub was laying face down (or back up to my tummy), made it hard, so dr was proding and it turned enough for him to get a heart beat of 152
    Other then that dr found no real worries but wants to see me again on Monday to talk through test results and check blood pressure and swelling again.

Other then rest and relaxation... is there any other things i could be doing to lower pressure and swelling?

Hi Kimbaz,

I can't answer your question, but probably with the rise in heat over the past few days, that could not be helping the situation. A good way to get your temp down would be to place a cold face washer on the back of your neck (not freezing though) and make sure your feet are elevated as much a possible, this will make any fluid travel away from your feet and then your body should get rid of it. I hope it all sorts itself out for you. GL with the rest of your PG

I noticed you are in Berwick, I am just down the rd in Narre Warren Sth! We've probably passed each other on the street.....

Just rest as much as you can and always sit with your feet up.
    It sounds like ealry stages of PE.
    Did he/she tell you to go to the hospital if you start to feel worse and the headaches get bad ?
    If not call them staright away and let them know what is going on.
    I've had PE with both of my other pregnancies and always called and i have the same problem with this one as well.

Jooleshere-Thanks for the advice I have only just moved here to Berwick, arrived on Tuesday, used to live in Moss Vale NSW. I wasnt prepared for the sudden temperature change.... and i sure dont like it either!! Im hoping that soon enough ill get around to meeting a few people in the area, seems like both my neighbours never come out of their house....in fact i never see any one around! LOL

Michelle- Dr said if things get worse give him a call or head up to the local hospital, my birthing hospital also said yesterday if things didnt go well at the drs today i was to call them asap and they would admit me i gave them a call and told them the outcome, so they are aware of the signs i have. For most of the pg i have had bad headaches, come and go in severity. But since the move from NSW the pressure seems to have risen and the swelling set in. Possibly stress and indeed the weather difference!!

Kim, today was an extremly hot day here in Vic, is it possible the swelling was from the heat? Your BP will also rise with increased body temp so like Jools said, trying to stay cool may help. Cool flannels to the back of the neck, under the arms, behind the knees and in the groin area can help to lower body temp. If you're anything like me, soaking my feet in cool water also helps me. You can decrease swelling in the lower extremeties by keeping them elevated. Other than that, good old rest is needed. Try not to stress about it but so keep an eye on your symptoms and let your doc or the hospital know if it gets worse or if you are worried at all.

MG

Kim - I was advised to keep cool, keep fluids up and keep my feet up. It's still about 30 degrees here in Melb at 8.45pm - not the best early Oct conditions for us pregnant people!!

Arghhhhh... went back to doctors last night and BP is still rising. When we arrived it was 136/85. So dr got me to lie down and it went up to 140/105!! He is calling Monash today to see if i can get into see them any earlier then next Friday, or if they plan to deliver earlier.

He said the reason why its increasing is because my immune system is rejecting/fighting with the placenta, and the only way to reduce the bp is to get rid of placenta, which means early birth.

So scared

You poor thing, it must be worrying. Hopefully you'll get somewhere with the Dr and Monash today. If you're feeling crap and not getting any help, get someone to take you to emergency at Monash. In my experience, pregnant women with high BP, blood clots etc never even get their bottoms on a chair in the triage area, it's straight to a trolley and doctors.

I know a number of people who've had to 'go early' for a variety of reasons. They tend to stabilise you in hospital for a few days while they pump in some steroids to help with lung maturation. Some of them were several weeks earlier than you and everything with perfect with bubs.

Thinking of you and let us know how you go.

Hi Kim
    Was wondering how you were as didn't hear back. I'm sorry to hear things are not improving. It must be scary but people can have babies earlier than you and they are fine. Let us know how you go with monash and i will be thinking of you.

HI Rachel, did write back but u must not have gotten the email....lol
    Yeah of course alot of people have babies earlier then me, but still it does not ease my mind ....but we will be fine. Have a great DH and hospital so everything will be looked after.

Still waiting to hear back from any one, so hopefully no news is good news

Hello Hello, no didn't get email . just emailed you again -was supposed to be a quick one but i'm in a talkative mood . Sorry. Do you know when they are going to call?

Thanks for the email, have just replied.

Dr should be calling today, fingers crossed he does cos im going insane not knowing whats going on.

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear your bad news about your BP .

I had this happen over about 8 years ago now, the hospitals cut off point was 140/90 and 1+ protein. I found that if it was up initially, when they made me rest and checked it in an hour, it was always much higher. I was kept in hosptial for around 4 weeks, I was induced when tests showed my liver was shutting down at 36 weeks, but I was happy I got that far.

They say to do nothing and not stress, but even getting visitors and making me excited was enough to make it go up to 170/110! So eventually I wasnt allowed that either.

I really hope that you get some news soon..maybe it's changed since I had it, but back then you had BP bottom number over 90 and you were in hospital indefinately.

Take it easy and let us know what happens

Thanks for the insight Tara.

The hospital has been in touch and i now have an appointment at 9am tomorrow with a midwife and they are also sending me to see a doctor afterwards. The dr will then decide where to go from here, whether that be fetal monitoring or admission. Either way im S**T scared!

DH advised i pack a bag incase i dont come home, and that got me worried even more, but its reality and i have to expect that it could happen.

I will keep everyone informed when i can, thanks for a your support as well

Kim sweetheart everything will be fine with bubs they will look after you so well.
    GL with everything tomorrow and hopefully they will get to keep bubs in a little longer.
    With my first pregnancy PE started around the same time as it has for you and Kimberley was born at 35 wks 4 days and she is now a healthy 3.5 year old.

Please keep us updated.

Went to hospital 9am this morning. Seen a midwife who was very helpful and made me feel extremely relaxed. After that i seen the OB on duty. She was nice as well. Took BP and its gone DOWN yay!!! It was down more then when i went to the doctors last week which is a welcoming relief
    Measured bub, not to big, not to small but just right. No protein was found in urine as well.

Although bp had dropped, it was only a tiny bit and im booked in again for next Wednesday for more monitoring and another check-up. But all seems to be working itself out again

Kim that is great news your BP has gone down.
    Hope all goes well next week and your BP stays down.

Kim, if it's any reassurance, I had both my boys at Monash. I had bad PE with my first and he was delivered by emergency c/s at 34w6d, weighing 1.9 kilos. I was there from 29 weeks, so almost 6 weeks in hospital before he was born. I can't say enough good things about the quality of care, both in the maternity wards and the NICU/SCN.

I also had my second son there, again with PE, however the little bugger was 8 days late before they gave me another c/s, he was 4.4 kilos!

So don't worry too much, they'll take good care of you. Great that your BP has gone down, but do try and rest as much as you can.

Best wishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast