Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donating Bone Marrow

Question Donating Bone Marrow

When I signed up to give blood years ago I agreed to be put on the bone marrow register. Then I got the call that I thought I would never get. I was a match which was great but scary at the same time. Lots of medical tests later and I had the operation under a general anaestetic. I was only in hospital for a couple of days and it is painful but I would do it again in a heartbeat if I were a match. My employer at the time made me take 2 or 3 weeks annual leave to recover. The marrow was for a baby with leukemia in Perth but unfortunately she died. I never wanted to meet the family but might have if s/he survived.

I was wondering how many other people have donated bone marrow or are on the register?

I'm on the register! Having seen how much it is needed when my uncle had leukaemia there's no way I wouldn't be. Well done Gemma for going ahead with donating!

Gemma that was an amazing thing u did for that family - what a wonderful person u r! I have actually never even considered it so thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'll give it a thought now

Well done to you Gemma - thats an amazing contribution to society! I am on the donors list for blood, and I am going to give plasma once my body is my own again. I dont know if I could do marrow - it sounds so hurty!!!!
    I have found it very difficult being off the donor's list for the last 2 years (with another 18m to go!) with being pregnant and breastfeeding. But - I guess they will get it again when its all over for as long as I can.

I think what you have done is incredible. Kudos to you.

Good on you! I work with children with cancer, and it is soooo hard to find a compatible donor. What a precious gift. I am sure the childs' family is very grateful to you for even going through it all.

What a selfless act you have done! I would say with honesty, you are one of Gods walking earth Angels!

Love and light,
    soul

Good on you.

I was on the register in the UK, but since moving to Australia have not been able to give blood (becasue of the UK mad cow thingo......the Red Cross won't have me, sadly).

Gemma, you are an angel for doing it.

They are so desparate, both for general blood, & for marrow, I think anyone who can, should. I wish I still could.

Thanks everyone, I was really just trying to raise awareness of being on the register and wondering who else had considered it. It is so special to think that we could possibly save someone's life. Donating blood is also a fantastic thing to do as it saves lives but I don't think there are many on the bone marrow register.

Good on you Ryn for being on the register although I don't think they will take you when you are pg!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Good on you Gemma, what an amazing thing you did. How sad that he/she died

cazoraz Guest

I'm on the organ donor register but didnt even know of the bone marrow one, might have to go searching! Good on you Gemma, thanks for posting your story.

Oh yes, I've been on the BMDRegistry since 1990. It's amazing you got the call. I've never heard from them but I figured it was pretty indicative of how rare it actually is to match with a stranger. =) It's sad that the little girl died in spite of the transplant but you really gave her the best chance of making it by giving her your marrow.

I do know of one other BB member who received the call last year but she was pg at the time and couldn't donate unfortunately.

Good on you Gemma. I have been on the BMD register since 1991. A little girl in the town where we were living at the time (Sale) had leukaemia and there was a lot of fund raising and BMD days where you could register etc. Luckly the little girl survived and a lot of people went on the register because of her. I would do it in a heart beat if I was called up too.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I got a call to say I was a full match a few months ago but couldn't because of my pregnancy and can't for 12 months now I think.
    My dad had bone marrow transplant - stem cells from his brother - 12 months ago - it was successful but he passed away short time later due to 'graft vs host' disease - a complication of transplants.
    I just hope I can later help the person ?

Our friend was a bone marrow donor and sadly the child also passed away.It was a wonderful thing you did.

What a wonderful thing you have done Gemma...

moving to medical conditions..

I second what you said Soul...What An Angel.

Hi all,

I'm on the BM registry. I also worked as a nurse with children ith cancer and blood disorders, for six years. A bone marrow transplant is a horrible, dangerous experience, but it's sometimes the last hope for a child, and the more donors, the more chances such children have.

Well done.

Thanks for reminding me of this - it has been on my to-do list for years. I finally made the effort today and donated blood and signed up for the bone marrow registry.

Schmickers wrote:
    A bone marrow transplant is a horrible, dangerous experience,
    Yes it hurt but it was like a sore spot on my hip but it wasn't horrible. They only took 300ml rather than 1.5lt which is what they take out for an adult I think so I was lucky. Maybe from the medical side it is worse than the patient that is none the wiser because they are under a general?

Good on you Artechim and Trish for being on the register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast