Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donating Bone Marrow

Sal Guest

I've only just seen this thread. I'm on the register, I would love to get that call (scary as it would be) one day.

How wonderful that you donated your marrow but how sad that the little girl died anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma

Yes it hurt but it was like a sore spot on my hip but it wasn't horrible. They only took 300ml rather than 1.5lt which is what they take out for an adult I think so I was lucky. Maybe from the medical side it is worse than the patient that is none the wiser because they are under a general?

Good on you Artechim and Trish for being on the register.
    Heh - no, I was talking about undergoing the transplant itself. Donating is quite easy as opposed to the actual process of having a bone marrow transplant.

Silvia Guest

I was the donor for my DD's first bone marrow transplant she had in 2003 she was in remission after it and I was just happy about it specially becuase I was able to help her but the remission didn't last long she relapsed 2 months after and had to undergo another surgery, then she was in remission again and the same story repeats, she had 3 surgeries in total, I was devasted, Our family appreciate the other 2 persons help.

It wasn't bad, I didn't had time to worry about myself this time ,but for my DD:frown: She was very brave though

Where was your daughter treated, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm so glad I have seen this thread. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a BMD registry. When I am able to donate blood again, I will definitely sign up.

BTW Does anyone know at what point you can donate blood after giving birth? I'm assuming you can't while BF, but I don't really know.

Silvia Guest

To schmickers:

She was not treated in Australia, she was treated in Sweden in CCK(Cancer Center Karolinska) in Stokholm

Quote Originally Posted by Silvia View Post
    To schmickers:

She was not treated in Australia, she was treated in Sweden in CCK(Cancer Center Karolinska) in Stokholm
    May I offer my sincere condolences for your loss. I have worked with quite a few families through the struggles of childhood AML and it is never a pleasant experience. My best wishes go out to you and your family as you continue this difficult journey. Christmas is traditionally a difficult time as well, so I hope you weather it okay.

Silvia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Schmickers View Post
    May I offer my sincere condolences for your loss. I have worked with quite a few families through the struggles of childhood AML and it is never a pleasant experience. My best wishes go out to you and your family as you continue this difficult journey. Christmas is traditionally a difficult time as well, so I hope you weather it okay.
    Thankyou schmikers, I really appreciate it.
    But children are always brave in this kind of situations, they're the ones that are less afraid(in our case), I'll like to share a brief story.

3 weeks before Reny passed away, she asked me If I was afraid and I told her to the true I couldn't lie to her I said "I'm terrified" and she said "Mommy you shouldn't be afraid, where I go is where you go"

Sylvia, that brought a little tear to my eye. and I hope it doesn;t bring you too much grief if I share a story with you.

I had the pleasure and honour of looking after an eight-year-old girl with leukaemia, who relapsed and sadly died. A fortnight before she died, she had yet to discuss it at all, and her parents had not been able to bring themselves to discuss it with her.
    All of a sudden one day, during a ward round, she turned to her mother and said "Mum, after I die, I want you to lose weight." She turned to her dad and said "Dad, after I die, I want you to stop smoking." And she turned to her oncologist and said "Doctor, before I die, I want you to do the ward round in a nurses uniform.

She proceeded to plan, with her parents, both her "going away" party, so she could see all of her friends again, and her funeral. A few days later she was discharged.

A week and a half later, she woke up her mum and asked her to come and sleep with her. And in the early hours of the morning, wrapped up in her mother's arms, with the rain outside tapping on the window, she died peacefully.

Her father stopped smoking. Her mother has lost weight and to this day I believe has kept it off. And, the day before she was discharged, her doctor did do the entire ward round - a male doctor - in a female nurse's uniform. In full makeup.

When I die, that is the way I want it to be - at peace with myself, at peace with my family, warapped up in the arms of someone I love, with the rain outside tapping on my window. I can't even begin to put into words how much that experience, and the others I was privileged enough to share, have affected the way I look at life.

Life is far too short. Thank you, Silvia, for sharing your bittersweet story, and thank you to all of the people who have read this thread who will donate bone marrow, or be on the list to donate.

Silvia Guest

Schmickers that was a sweet story indeed and it brought tears to my eyes, I've actually never written about Reny's dead, her last minutes in this earth.

She couldn't hear and see very well before she died, her feet, hands and elbows were swollen and her eyes where practically swollen shut, she slept 22 hours every day and the 2 hours she was awake(around 3 am) she will count silently(we really didn't knew what she was counting and when we asked her she said "I will count to whatever number I want to count", in her birthday she only woke up to say "I love you" to me, DH and her siblings, she didn't open any of her presents. and a month before she write a "will" and told me to give some of her toys to her sister, brother and her beloved bike to a little girl that will really enjoy it, she also wanted to come to Australia, we lived here with her when she was a baby, we where on vacations in our home in Stockholm when she was diagnosed and we where afraid to travel with her, even though when she was in remission and she's burried here.

And she died in a similar way like the little girl in your story, DH and I slept with her every single day since she was discharged in mid December, there was nothing that was left to do for her so we took her home to wait as her body was slowly wasting, her last night she was restless she didn't sleep, she just opened her eyes one last time and gave us a sweet smile, then she close them again and said "I'm ready" she nodded her head yes as if she where talking to someone, I was holding her when she finally said "Mommy, Daddy I'll be waiting" she them mumbled some more and finally passed in my arms.

I just want you to know that you give life by donating, the family and the patient appreciate it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12