Thread: epilepsy

Wink epilepsy

hi there
    just wondering if there is anyone out there who has epilepsy and is TTC or pregnant? i have a mild controlled form of epilepsy which was diagnosed 7 years ago. i managed my first pregnancy medication free but we have made the decision to remain on valpro for our next (TTC for 5 mths) for my safety and that of bubba. i'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience with this thanx

Hi Cateblu,

This thread is a little old but thought I'd see if you were still around?

I have absence seizures - have since I was 7yrs old. Anyway, I just wondered how you are going with being on the meds & pregnant? I've actually been off meds for 5yrs (seizures are only long enough to show up on EEG), anyway, thinking of going back on them but also want to get pregnant so wondered how you were going with being on meds? I was taking Valpro before I stopped and want to get my drivers license - haven't been able to get it yet because I'm told the EEG's have to be seizure free - grrr, so frustrating! So hopefully if I go back on the meds that it will fully control it this time as my seizures have become so much shorter (on EEG). Find it so hard having kids and not being able to drive now that we are in a regional area & not a city.

Do you have your license? My epilepsy has never managed to get fully controlled and have tried quite a few meds but just got sick of it all and found it was starting to change my moods a lot so stopped.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

hi amygirl
    i'm so pleased to hear from you, thought i was the only one even tho my dr keeps saying lots of people have families and epilepsy!
    i'm now 11 weeks pg after taking a long time to fall, and due to have ultrasound next week. feeling a little anxious because of increased risks of problems from meds but dr assures me i'm on well below the risky dose, and have been taking high dose folate for over a year. am finding this pg much more difficult than first, but not sure that i can blame meds for that, as i have a 2 and a half year old now!
    i have full blown tonic clonic seizures in my sleep, very frightening for DH. however i have only had 4 episodes that we know of. i lived by myself for several years and suspect i first started having them then, but no witnesses! nothing has shown on any tests i have had. i haven't had a seizure for 2+ years now, but the last one was when DS was 5 months old and i was tired and unwell. unfortunately i was carrying him to bed when it occured, frightening us all badly but not causing any harm. this is the main reason for staying on meds this time, my husband worries alot if i'm not on them.
    i do drive, tho dr said if i chose to go off meds i would not be allowed to. i have had periods where i have not been allowed to, such as when first diagnosed, but because of the nocturnal nature of my seizures, they have decided it is not a risk while they are controlled.
    i much prefer the valpro over tegretol, which was the first med i took. the side effects and risks to the baby are much less and the seizures are under control at a low dose.
    i've rambled abit too, but i hope you'll keep in contact!
    good luck