Thread: How to come off AD's?

Default How to come off AD's?

I have been on Lexapro 10mg for 5 months now. I feel I would like to come off them now for various reasons. I do not want to go to the dr just so he can tell me how to come off them. I dropped down to half a tablet 2 weeks ago and have been feeling fine. What now? Down to a quarter and for how long and then what? Anyone got experience?

Um hun, I really do think you need to go at least to your GP ... it's not just about the physical withdrawal of the meds, it's also the psych side.

Having said that, my BFF came off her meds with doc supervision and stepped down dosage for a month each time ...

I have moved a good distance away from the GP who was treating me for my anxiety. So going to someone now is seems pointless as they don't know me at all and will just get info from what I tell them. I am prepared to stay on them if I feel I'm not coping but would like to try coming off if I don't have any side effects.

How about just phoning up your old GP?

Definately do it under medical supervision. I once jumped off AD's cause I was feeling better and within a couple of months ended up in avery dark place and back on them for another year.

Also, are you getting counselling along with the AD's. They're fine for regulating the brain chemistry, but not much good for learning coping skills for depression. The two should always go together.