Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methyl Salicylate

audrey Guest

Default Methyl Salicylate

I'm 36 weeks preganant and 2 days ago used metsal cream (about 1 cm) for my leg which contains methyl salicylate (28.3%).

Only the day after i found out that the ingredient may be harmful for the fetus. Yesterday my baby didn't move as much as the days before.

Is there anything I can do, has the damage been done? Or am I just overreacting?

Thanks,
    Audrey

Hi Audrey

Don't worry hun I am sure that you have not done any harm. The amount of cream you used is very small and your baby is just about fully developed.
    One reason that your baby is not moving as much now is that it is running out of room. Another reaon that you think that your baby is not moving as much is because you used the cream.
    i woulg suggest that you dont use any more Metsal cream. If you need something you could try Deep Heat.

Againj trry not to worry, everything will be fine.

audrey Guest

Default Thanks Alan

Thank you Alan,

I thought i was going out of my mind. After 36 weeks and now i've done something really stupid.

audrey Guest

Default Thank you Alan

I think what i meant to say was, you make me feel so much better. : ) Thank you.

Michaela Guest

Default Deep Heat Arthritis

Dear Alan,

My name is Michaela and I am newly registered on this website.

A couple of days ago my mum gave me a massage on the back of my neck and a bit on the shoulders with Deep Heat Arthritis cream, which contains methyl salicylate - I was feeling tired and i had sore muscles. I do not have arthritis.
    I was very concerned, though, about the effects this very strong cream might have on the baby and I went and washed it off after approx 8 hours. I am 23 weeks pregnant and it is my first pregnancy. The baby moves and is very energetic as usual, nothing seems to have changed since the massage with this cream - we are going to have a little girl.
    I browsed on the internet for information about the possible effects on the baby and on this products' ( Deep Heat Arthritis ) webpage i found the following, which really worried me:

"Pregnant animals given high oral or dermal doses of methyl salicylate has resulted in malformations in some off-spring. The significance of this finding for humans is not known at this time, however, pregnant women should consult their medical practitioner if they have concerns."

I haven't used the cream since, but I am very worryed that the small amount my mum used on me might have reached the baby.

Thank you, Michaela

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Hi Audrey

Don't worry hun I am sure that you have not done any harm. The amount of cream you used is very small and your baby is just about fully developed.
    One reason that your baby is not moving as much now is that it is running out of room. Another reaon that you think that your baby is not moving as much is because you used the cream.
    i woulg suggest that you dont use any more Metsal cream. If you need something you could try Deep Heat.

Againj trry not to worry, everything will be fine.

Hi Michaela
    It is true that methyl salicylate in high doses has been known to cause malformations in animals.
    However these animals were given very high doses by mouth. The dose you was given was applied to the skin and not a high dose. When medication is absorbed through the skin it takes a lot longer to reach the blood stream and will not be present in the same amount as it would be if it was taken orally. The reason that it is not reccomended for use in pregnancy is because it has not been proven to be safe. However it has also not been proven to be unsafe. i am sure that the amount you have been exposed to will not have any effect on your baby. I would advise you not to use it in the future just to be on the safe side.

Michaela Guest

Thank you, Alan, i will definitely stay away from any form of medication in the future, in any case I will contact my doctor first, as I have been really worried this time.

Michaela Guest

Default Soft drinks

Hi, i am craving soft drinks, i wasn't a big fan before, but now I am really craving Coca Cola !! Especially the vanilla flavoured one !
    Does anyone know if soft drinks have a harmful effect on the baby? I am 24 weeks pregnant.

thanks, Michaela

Michaela Guest

Default Retinol based moisturizers

Dear Alan,

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but i have used a retinol based moisturizer and I am really worried about this now.

We all know that we have to stay away from vitamin A ( scientiffically called retinol ) during pregnancy and whilst I knew that very well, i wasn't aware that the moisturizer I was using during the first three months of my pregnancy contained vitamin A ( retinol ) . I didn't know that it contained retinol as I didn't know vitamin A is called retinol. I remember using this cream for about a month during the first trimester, night and day, on my face skin.

I am worried that this might have affected the baby ( I am 26 weeks pregnant now ) and it is my first baby. The morfology scan that I had at 19 weeks showed that everything was normal with the baby, but I cannot stop worrying.
    Do you know anything about how this can affect the fetus?

Thank you,
    Michaela

My DH has got a really bad shoulder at the moment so I give him a rub with Dencorub last night (that turned out to be out of date) just before bed - so went to bed with him smelling like Dencorub, and then gave him a rub with Deep Heat today.

I would imagine my exposure would be minimal as it was only on my hands for probably about half an hour, but then smelling it most of the night.

Alan - would love a bit of reassurance it's ok. Maybe coincidence, but my usually active bubs is unusually quiet today (i'm 30 weeks). I'm telling my paranoid brain everything is fine, but..........

sorry

Hi Michaela
    Your baby will be fine. Although Retinol (vitamin A) can cause birth defects if used in early pregnancy when used on the skin it is very poorly absorbed. The amounts that got through to you baby would be zero or very very small.

Hi Juleswa
    At 30 weeks your baby is just about fully formed, you will not have caused any harm. However, just to play safe I would suggest that if DH needs another rub use gloves and make him sleep on the lounge

Juleswa
    I forgot to add that it is not unusual for your baby's movements to slow later in your pregnancy. Also baby's will often have a day or two where they just rest. As long as you are getting some movements (about 10 in 12 hours everything is normal

Michaela Guest

Thanks, Alan
    It's hard not to worry and sometimes I wish there was a way for me to see thorugh my belly day and night and check to make sure all is fine

I second that Michaela

Thanks heaps Alan for answering all our sometimes 'paranoid pregnant women' questions, you answers are always trusted.

Unhappy severe back pains

hi Alan,

I'm 5 weeks pregnant now and having severe back pains and it's killing me.. what i want to know is if the ointment im using now to cure the pain is safe.. the ointment contains 8.0% of Methyl Salicylate, 2.6% Camphor and 7.5% of Menthol..

Hi Meckhan
    I would not recommend using any cream that contains Methyl Salicylate. If you like the warming sensation this cream gives I would suggest that you use a hot pack.

Smile Pro Retinol or Retinol skin products

Hello everyone...I thought I would write about what I have found in regards to pro retinol skin creams and using them while pregnant. I have been researching this for weeks because I came upon it when I was reading up on what not to do while pregnant (I am 9 weeks). There seems to be so much conflicting advice out there...yet the majority of research and posts I have read will tell you that it is completely safe to use retinol skin creams while pregnant. The only area where this was different was when they talked about doing whole body wraps for an hour using high concentrations of retinols. But even this seems debateable. Probably the best information I found was from a Skin Care scientist who works for Boots skin care...and because their world wide best selling product is Boots No 7 Protect & Perfect contains high concentrations of pro retinol, this information was invaluable. (and I'd just like to say that this Boots product is the ONLY non-prescription skin care cream that has been scientifically tested and found to surpass ALL other non prescription skincare creams for its effectiveness in REDUCING wrinkles and clearing skin. It is better than any expensive over the counter brand out there. The findings were a FIRST ever in the skin care industry). Now enough of that...HERE IS WHAT THEIR SCIENTIST SAID ABOUT RETINOLS:

Hi, I am Stewart Long, Skincare Scientific Adviser for Boots and I just thought I should reply to you and put your mind at rest regarding vitamin A and Protect & Perfect following the discussions on Dispatches last night. Protect & Perfect does not contain vitamin A and in fact, nor do any cosmetic products, as vitamin A is legally not permitted to be used in cosmetics. Protect & Perfect contains pro-retinol, which is from the same family as vitamin A but is a safe and mild cosmetic ingredient, widely used in cosmetics and skincare products. Just to assure you, pro-retinol is not capable of being absorbed into the blood from applying it on the skin and poses absolutely no risk during pregnancy.

Vitamin A, as described by Dr. Chu, is a medicine that can only be obtained on prescription. This medicine has to be carefully restricted during pregnancy because it does have risks. It is for this reason that pregnant ladies must not eat very much liver, as this contains vitamin A.

I hope this answers your questions and clarifies the difference between Vitamin A and pro-retinol. If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact us on 0207 908 6575.

I THINK THIS SPEAKS FOR ITSELF...AND WE SHOULD ALL REMEMBER THAT FOODS, VITAMINS ETC THAT CONTAIN HIGH LEVELS OF VITAMIN A WILL ALWAYS HAVE A WARNING ON THEM FOR PREGNANT WOMEN. IF SKIN CARE AROUND THE WORLD WAS CAUSING BIRTH DEFECTS...I THINK WE WOULD SEE WARNINGS ON ALMOST EVERY SKIN CREAM ON THE SHELVES.

Hope this helps you all....Annalies

Default methyl salisylate

thanks Alan!

but I have used it for more than a week, I'm worried that it might have affected my baby..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast