thread: Think I have shingles...

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

Think I have shingles...

Have had this on my face now for nearly 2 weeks. Went to the dr who said it was an infection and gave me anitbiotics. Have finished those, have put bactroban on my face, clearasil, rosehip oil, tea tree and nothing is clearing it.
    Went to the chemist today who suggested shingles. Its painful as and itchy as. I, over it. I'm over the pain and itchiness, i'm over feeling self concious about this thing on my face.
    Neither of my girls have had chicken pox and from what i understand it's contagious through touch, so not really thinking anything of it in the last couple of week have still kissed it girls etc so potentially have passed ot on.
    Need to try and get to the dr tomorrow.
    Any suggestions to help with the pain and itchiness in the meantime... it's drving me nuts!

Jul 2009
    Australia

I had shingles on my back and it hurt A LOT. I had it for like a month and the itchiness lasted im sure the whole time.

It sucks

Nov 2009
    Vic

Shingles hide in a nerve and come out as a blister like thing so if its shingles the things won't be random over your face...more like in a line kind of thing.
    Once the blisters turn into scab like things the contagious period is over and it can't be treated with antibiotics after that time. Shingles are very painful so definatly get to the docs for some pain relief.
    Hope things get better for you soon luv

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

Shingles hide in a nerve and come out as a blister like thing so if its shingles the things won't be random over your face...more like in a line kind of thing.
    Once the blisters turn into scab like things the contagious period is over and it can't be treated with antibiotics after that time. Shingles are very painful so definatly get to the docs for some pain relief.
    Hope things get better for you soon luv

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    Had after hours dr out because the pain in just crazy. He seems to think it is shingles but because it wasn't treated within the 72 hours thats reccomended it's going to be a little more difficult to treat. I have to go first thing in the morning to have a fluid test done on it. I've got an icepack on it now trying to soothe it a little bit... it's in a patch on my face near my chin, about the size of 2 50c pieces side by side. bright red and bloody painful!

Feb 2011
    New South Wales

Shingles are one form of the herpes virus and are treated with anti viral drugs. Usually the pain you feel with them is a deep pain that is probably quite different to any other pain you would normally feel. Get it checked out ASAP because the pain can become chronic, and the shingles virus near the eyes can be quite dangerous.
    Good luck- I hope you get on top of whatever it is quickly.
    ETA: you can get shingles even if you have had chicken pox already.

Jun 2009
    vic

I've had shingles over 10 times now and they are very painful and itchy I was misdiagnosed by a few drs the first time as well. Anti virals don't really make a difference anyway. Solugel can help relieve the pain a bit but not a lot. It's hard when it's on your face. I have gotten them on my left side of my neck and my left side of my chest and once around my eye. Is there any chance you could post a pic??

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

Ii don't know to to link pics or I would lol

Jun 2009
    vic

Lol me either so can't help you there.

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

Confirmed.... Shingles with a secondary infection to match. So my face is looking like a teenager in a pizza store and painful. new antibiotics but too late for antivirals.

Jun 2009
    vic

First time I had shingles it got infected as well. It's very painful so I can sympathise.