... 345

thread: Using phenergen as a convenience

Feb 2006
    Newcastle, NSW

Keike - Was it Panquil?
    I remember mums using that when DS1 was a bub. It got taken off as an over the counter medicine due to parents using it to sedate their kids. From memory, Panquil was pink and it was like panadol but with a sedative to help bubs sleep.

From my iPhone.

Jan 2011

Was it phenergen that will smith had to take in "hitch"?
    The one he went drunk like on?

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

I really don't like when it's abused, I think it horrible. My ex bil used to give it to my nephew when my sister was working so that he would nap.

I think that that it is ok in certain circumstances to use it as a sedative though. I've used it on dd for bites in the past but it doesn't make her drowsy, just really irritable. That is the only reason we haven't used it for her sleep issues. I'm not talking your everyday baby sleep problem either, this is a three year old who sleeps less than five hours a whole night sometimes, who wakes multiple times and doesn't just go back to sleep with a cuddle. Our whole family often suffers because of this, her most of all as some days she's so tired that she doesn't even want to play. If it worked on her I'd use it in a heartbeat. And not just because I'd like some sleep, it's not as simple as that. And I hardly doubt it is for other parents who find themselves going down the sedative path.

If I could use it, it would be for the benefit of my dd .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so forgive spelling mistakes
    Last edited by loulabelle; July 24th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

I can honestly say, in a completely non-loaded and non-judgemental way, that even in the absolute depths of my sleep deprivation (we're talking no DH, no IRL support, DD feeding every hour around the clock, waking every hour and not napping during the day, for months on end) it never crossed my mind to give her drugs to sleep. FF her, yes (although I'm glad I never did). Yell at her, yes. Smack her, yes I thought about all of those things with varying degrees of fleetingness, but no, it never even crossed my mind to try medication.

Add Butterfly Dawn on Facebook

Aug 2008
    Climbing Mt foldmore

I totally understand why a sleep deprived mum may give her child s nights dose so that they may all have a good sleep. We do what we need to for our children.
    my mother had friends who would tie their baby to the bed and go out for the night. there will always be selfish immature people as parents and some awesome people and most of us work it out as we go.
    no medicine is meant to be given lightly and i haven't met any on here that would just give their children Phen so they can drink and that makes me happy and proud

Sent from my Galaxy with the barefoot princess covering me in kisses, so please forgive the mistakes

Jan 2011

Ignore my previous post...it was benedryl.

I agree PZ. Although I must admit my head messes with me now from lack of sleep. Never gotten to the point of sedating her yet. Sedating ME on the other hand....

Add Dansta on Facebook Follow Dansta On Twitter

Jul 2008
    a slice of paridise, victoria

I couldnt do it for 'convinance'
    I have no doubt down the track I will need,to use drugs to settle djs sleep. His pead has,said it too due to djs issues we may have no choice for the sake of our family.

I find it abhorant people would use it cus they want to get drunk or alike

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

I've used it & still use it when needed. I first bought phenergan just under a year ago for DS's severe car sickness. I've had it on hand ever since.

I've used it for allergic reactions. DD1 is allergic to bees & nothing else works nearly as good. DD3 had her hand puff up out of the blue a few months ago & I gave her a small dose to calm it til I could see a doctor (an hour away).

I used it 3 days ago for DD1. She was up all night coughing & her ears are so blocked (glue ear) that she can't hear a thing. I gave her one pill. Don't know if it was that, or sheer exhaustion, but she crashed out for 3 hours. I won't feel bad, because she needed that sleep!

I've had nights with DS where I've considered it for sedation. Nights where he is awake til 1am & I have 3 other kids to get up to alone & I'm not getting sleep, which, in turn, is putting all our lives at risk if I need to drive anywhere. I have had those nights alot. I've maybe gone through with it 2 or 3 times. Believe me, I'd laid in bed for hours on end, weeks on end, trying to get him to sleep earlier, but I would aways fall asleep first & wake to him out in other parts of the house... which scares me.

I honestly don't think I know anyone else who has it in their cupboard, & I am glad for that. Because not many people do know the risks that go with using it. I'm glad I do & when I use it (over claratyne/panadol) I do it knowing exactly what I'm doing.

FWIW the amount on the bottle is much less for motion sickness/nausea than it is for sedation. I think for DS it was 5ml for motion sickness, 8 or so mls for sedation. I've always given him less than the recommended amount & had it work the way it should.

PZ, add 3 other children to your situation, then consider how you'd get by. Great if you could survive getting to the nearest shops (70kms away) on no sleep, but some risks just aren't worth it. I'd risk a dose of phenergan under my supervision over me falling asleep at 110kph.
    Last edited by ~clover~; July 25th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

You don't need to justify yourself hun, I genuinely am not judging, it's just an observation that this thread made me realise. It's like when DD was a newborn and we had BF troubles, it never even entered my mind to use formula. Yet it did for her sleep. I wouldn't want to add 3 more children and needing to drive to that situation, it was hard enough as it was for me, I'm definitely not trying to compare to anyone else, that situation sounds horrible.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

I would rather use a drug (presumably short term and using it for one of its purposes) than formula to assist a child to sleep. We each have our own risk assessments, and yep having more than one child to care for or other family factors form part of the assessment.

Dec 2007

Sedating children so you can enjoy an evening (drinking, having friends over kid free), is a convenience to me..

Sedating them for a recommended period to get the child(ren)/parent(s) a rest if there has been many nights of unsettledness can be seen as a medical reason.. But continuing this for the sheer sake of it works and is the 'easy' option for sleep rather than trying to work out the underlying issues morphs into convenience to me..

I have never used it, but I have given panadol or nurofen when one of my children have been so hysterical, nothing will settle them, and for no other reason than they 'might' be in some pain/discomfort have given a dose to calm them to get to settle and rest.

So reading back, I think I have been guilty of drugging the kids without a real reason, but I definately didn't see it as a convenience whereas I am sure many will..
    Last edited by Doing my best; July 25th, 2012 at 10:07 AM. : changing a phrase.

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

Just in case people are wondering. When parents use a sedative for long term sleep issues it isn't a long term thing. Usually it will be used every night over a period of one-two weeks in order to have the child break the sleeping pattern that they have. It can be really successful if there isn't an underlying issue or all underlying issues have been addressed.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

I would rather use a drug (presumably short term and using it for one of its purposes) than formula to assist a child to sleep.
    I agree, at least the drug is shown to cause a sedative affect in most cases. How I thought FF was supposed to help me get more sleep I that moment I've no idea.

Dec 2007

Just in case people are wondering. When parents use a sedative for long term sleep issues it isn't a long term thing. Usually it will be used every night over a period of one-two weeks in order to have the child break the sleeping pattern that they have. It can be really successful if there isn't an underlying issue or all underlying issues have been addressed.

I know that wasn't aimed specifically at me, but I have changed my wording (from one night to recommended period).. But my point was, that is was being used for a specific purpose for the well being of family vs the aide to help a kid free evening for your own pleasure or as an easy sleep fix.. So if it takes more than a night, then it isn't really a convenience,just the course of the medication..

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

I understood your post, doing my best

I just posted incase anyone wanted to know how it worked. Well, that's how it's been explained to me.

... 345