Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zofran Zydis or Ondansetron for Hypermesis in pregnancy

EsmeFeather Guest

Red face Yay Zofran @ PBS Price!!

I had to be on Zofran from 9 weeks to 30 weeks. The cost was so unbelievable but in saying that, it was the best drug ever!! Without it I could not have gotten out of bed to go to work. I was spending roughly half of what I made for the day on medication sothat I could go to work, but without it, it would have been a very long and drawn out pregnancy.

The only draw back for me was the fact I could eat, but I could only eat what I felt like. This differed EVERY DAY and made it very difficult to find a suitable option for lunches and Morning Teas for work. I could not pack a lunch because I could only eat what I felt like at that exact time otherwise it would still all come back up. Some days I could only eat Manadarines and I would eat about 6-7 a day. Some days were just ham and cheese sandwiches, otherdays it was Cheeseburgers - you get the idea. But atleast I could eat.

My baby was healthy, happy and full term. Without this drug I doubt I could have carried til full term....

Atavia Guest

Default Is this still current? PBS Line?

Quote Originally Posted by HellRazeD View Post
    Well, I have just spoken to the PBS line, and it is now available at the reduced price for ALL pregnant women. Yay me, HCC makes it $5.00. the choice is for 4mg, which is standard script price, or 8mg which carries a 70c tariff. Stemetil is NOT considered safe during pregnancy, and should not be used unless absolutely necessary. Ondansetron is an antiemetic and antinauseac, but has no data suggesting it is unsafe, but also none suggesting its ultimate safety. Metoclopramide (Maxalon) IS safe, but as it has only antiemetic properties, not specific antinausea properties, making it ineffective for many people. Historically, Maxalon was an antipsychotic, hence the symptoms some have mentioned.

little story,
    Lithium (antipsychotic) also has antiemetic properties, which were made public in an event in a Sydney mental health hospital in its early days. A patient had swallowed an alarming amount of lithium, and the nurses were desperately trying to make him erm, return them. After ipecac syrup and milk didn't work, the pair tried salty water, force-feeding the man 2.4L of 20% NaCl solution in one hour. The man died of hypernatraemia (his cells swelled and exploded), and the nurses were severely berated.
    This display of an inability to vomit lead to the trial of antipsychotics antiemetics. Only Maxalon was found inherently safe, due to its failure to act as a true antipsychotic.
    I am back at home trying to survive a second pregnancy after the first one ws lost at 13 weeks after 7 weeks of constant vomitting. It was such a miserable time, and the only relief I had was from Zofran which was horrendously expensive. Esp considering I couldn't work. We bought Emeset from India, but it doesn't seem to work as well. Did you really end up getting this on PBS? Can you tell me the process you went through to make it happen? I need all the help I can get. Thank you in advance!!!!

I couldn't get it cheaper.
    It cost me heaps for the ondansetron tabs, but in the end they didn't work anyway, so I didn't have to shell out too much.

Atavia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Atavia View Post
    I am back at home trying to survive a second pregnancy after the first one ws lost at 13 weeks after 7 weeks of constant vomitting. It was such a miserable time, and the only relief I had was from Zofran which was horrendously expensive. Esp considering I couldn't work. We bought Emeset from India, but it doesn't seem to work as well. Did you really end up getting this on PBS? Can you tell me the process you went through to make it happen? I need all the help I can get. Thank you in advance!!!!

I got the generic from a discount pharmacist, think it was about $6 for 8 tablets? Not great so I kept them for emergencies...

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I got the generic from a discount pharmacist, think it was about $6 for 8 tablets? Not great so I kept them for emergencies...
    Is the generic the same as the Zofran? Does it have the same effects and is it the same?

I went to the hospital yesterday and they gave me a couple and prescription for 10 more.

I haven't vomited since I took the it last night and this morning. Maxilon did nothing for me, i'm worried about the safety of this drug, but from what i'm reading on this forum, you have all really appreciated the effects this drug has and have had healthy babies.

I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and have been vomiting frequently since week 6.

It's not much fun and I've had to postpone my education because of this. Hopefully Zofran will help me move forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12