Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirena IUD?

Thanks for all of the info, guys, I'm having the Mirena IUS inserted on Friday.

Bit nervous and I don't know anyone who's had one in, so this is much appreciated!

By the way, Chloe, it will be 10 weeks after my c/s, but that has more to do with when I could get an appointment (I booked it in 3 weeks ago) than when I could have it. I do know he said that my cervix would be a bit too tender (I think?) at the 6 week check up.

Hope I don't bleed for 3 mths though!

I had the IUD removed on friday and the cramping has since stopped completely. The Dr said that 1 in 20 women have problems with the Mirena IUD just not suiting them. That was the case with me. He said it sounded like my body was rejecting it so it came out. So it's a case of me being strange not a problem with the IUD etc. I've got my fingers crossed for others who use it, that they don't have the same problems as I did...

Hi all

Went and had the Mirena put in - a little bit ouchy but not too bad. Kind of funny having my first internal with the ob (guess I should call him my gyn now!) when I've already had a baby! Now he's seen my cervix from both sides, haha. (I had a c/s due to placenta praevia and my ob is very hands off, no internals throughout the pg). I have a little bit of a crampy type sensation now, but no bleeding or pain atm. $29.50 for contraception for five years seems like a good deal to me... Although I told him I'd be back before then to give Lucy a brother or sister.

He also said no real need to check the strings and that it can be removed by my GP if I wanted (although I think I'll go back to him anyway, since it'll be when it's time to get pg again and it can't hurt to be given the a-ok).

He checked I was only charged the PBS price for it too, apparently it hasn't been covered on the PBS for that long and some pharmacies still try to get away with charging about $300 for it. Just a note to anyone who is yet to get it.

It's great to read your updates and notes so that I know if something abnormal is going on - keep posting girls!

OMG Katkins, with all of your contraceptive problems what are you left with??

I'll be careful though, 'cause like you I fell pg while on the pill (first month back on it after a break though, so maybe that had something to do with it).

Had some bleeding first day, spotting on the second and nothing at all by the third.

It's going to be funny if I don't get another period (my ob doesn't think I will). I haven't had one for almost 12 mths (since I fell pg with Lucy). I'm going to save a lot of money on tampons!! LOL

Brookey - I suspect you may be out of luck on the reversible male procedures thing for now (unless you count condoms!) as the few methods out there are still in testing stages. I was looking for something like that and there's just nothing

Ghada Guest

Hi Ladies,
    Ive had the Mirena IUD inserted just over 3 months ago now too. Its not too bad, but now that you mention low libido Brooke, i think i may be going through the same thing.

After bub no2, i also had a mirena iud inserted, but i experienced problem after problem then. So had it removed. But this time round its been quite good - apart from the lower libido - though i think 3 kids will do that to you, lol.

I do find that my periods have decreased in severity but increased in length. I dont get much cramping thankfully, whereas normally without the mirena i get alot of period pain. So thats a good point.

How are you ladies going with it now?

Hi, Yes i have to admit the libido thing. I thought it was just being a mum that had affected that as my libido didn't return to normal between my children (maybe because it didn't have time being only 2.5 months between pregnancies). So because I had the IUD put in at 6wks post partum, I didn't make the connection. HOWEVER, since removal I have been jumping on DH more often than he likes I am sure! I feel like I did before I got married (and found out I was pg a week later)/preg. I feel like a randy teenager *L*. Well, when I am not tired from packing and cleaning and looking after my two babies that is.

brooke, it took only a week. And BTW Kaitlyn's my daughter *L* I'm kerrie. I should fix up my Signiture....

Ghada Guest

Oh lucky you getting it removed Brooke, let us know how you go for sure!!! Hopefully your libido comes back shortly after

For us though, i dont think i have another option for contraception as yet.I dont want to fall pregnant now and i cant take the pill, dont like depo, or the implant...not much left for us to try. Hmmm.

I might just try to stick it out till i get to 6 months and see if it stays the same or not. I mean apart from the low libido, i truly dont have problems this time round, so it might be worth keeping it in for the time being.

Any other ideas? Id be happy to hear

No side effects here, but it hasn't been quite a month yet...

[QUOTE=crockerclan]Hi,

Went for my check up with my gyno on Tuesday, He said everything seems to be fine and he said the bleeding could last for three months. QUOTE]
    omg, I am getting the iud in on Tuesday (8th August) and I pray this doesn't happen to me! 6 weeks after birth was bad enough!

Cathy, I only bled for a normal period (five days) after it was inserted. I had one more the month after that and nothing since. A tiny bit of spotting when it was due last month.

I must say I'm very pleased not to be getting AF!

Ghada Guest

Hi Girls,

I havent beein in for a while now...but curious to know how you are going Brooke?

I still have mine in...not too bad although libido isnt crash hot, im always on my nerves and constantly feel very weak (though that migh be the severe anaemia im treating at the moment - does it ever end? LOL)

Anyway, just thought id pop in and see how youre going...any updates?

Ghada Guest

Hey Brooke,

Thanks for updating me Sounds like your better off without the mirena.

I was actually thinking about it the other day, the fact that my severe anaemia might be a result of the IUD, the thing is i wouldnt know for sure until i removed it and at the moment, im not liking my chances of alternative contraception. DH cant stand condoms so there goes that idea lol. I dont want to take the pill or get the shots or rod as that would just be the same thing really. I guess our best bet would be abstinence hehehe
    but cant see that happening either.

The thing is, while i adore kids to death, i really feel as though i cant handle any more at the moment, mainly due to my health problems which are arising now (inflammatory arthritis, anaemia, low BP...) and the fact that my youngest is so demanding...so falling preggers at this point in time would be a bit of an issue iykwim.

Im at a loss for what to do I wish i could find an alternative though, i dont like feeling like this always.

What do you think? I guess i might discuss it again with DH tonight...maybe he'll consider getting the snip

Ghada Guest

We spoke a little about it last night...DH is more keen to get the snip than use the condoms...jee - they cant be that bad! Well im going to get him a variety anyway and see how things go hehe. Hopefully we can find a solution to these issues.

Thanks for your support Brooke! Its good to chat to someone in a similar position about these problems (Oh and sorry to OP for kinda taking over the thread )

jessied Guest

Hey ladies. I was fitted for Mirena two and a half weeks ago. since the day my OB put it in I had HEAVY bleeding and MAJOR cramps. I went today and had them check to be sure it was ok. The tried looking with an Ultra sound and they were not able to locate the IUD, so the did a manual exam, and had seen that it had dislodged and was pushing against my uterine wall. (Causeing the cramping and bleeding). Had it removed and she said the cramps will go away soon. I cant wait! now I just have to decide which BC to go with now. I used to use the patch, but I got pg with my son with that method....so that one is out!

Ghada Guest

oh jess,

so sorry to hear that, but glad you got it sorted out early. Hope the pain eases for you real soon.

Were in the same dilemma with BC...still unsure which way to head. As for now it looks like the mirena is staying in. C's arent working out as i had thought

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast