Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirena IUD?

Ta for that. Sounds like Im NORMAL!!! I agree - I dont mind having spotting if it means lighter or no AF!

paradise lost Guest

Hi, i've had mine in since December 2006.

How would you rate it overall?

I love it. It's been the most worry-free, least hassle contraception i've ever used.

How long did you spot for?

After insertion i spotted for 3 weeks, until AF came. BUT i was on the mini-Pill (came off it 7 days AFTER insertion to make sure i was covered contraceptively) and that was making me spot anyway. I had random light spotting on and off for the first 5 or 6 months it was in (usually mid-cycle and AF-time as AF is now down to the level of spotting), but i don't usually do well on progesterone (bled continuously for 9 months on depo) so this was something i was expecting.

Did your periods stop completely and if so when?

No, i still have a light AF (light enough that the thnnest type of pantyliner is enough, too light for a tampon) every 29 or so days and occasionally i get mid-cycle spotting for 1 day.

Any other side effects?

A bit emotional at AF time, PMT style, but daily EPO has stopped that.

I dont know if this is in my imagination but I feel like I am going to the loo more (wee) since havign it put in! I feel like Im pg again!!! Does it push on ur bladder or something?

It doesn't but having it put in made my bladder a bit irritated as the speculum presses on it, and coughing tightens you up (dunno if they made you cough, they made me cough, no idea why) and i was a bit sort of bruised afterwards for a few days which gave me that need-to-wee feeling. Drink lots of water and you should be fine.

Im also really paraniod about it falling out. I dont want to 'push' in that area and kinda 'hold it in' with my pelvic muscles. Is this crazy!!??

The feeling isn't crazy but the worry is needless. Your cervix, which is an involuntary sphincter (you have no conscious control over it) is holding it in. Nothing, not the biggest bowel movement or the most powerful orgasm, will expel it from you. Only grabbing the cords and giving it a yank will pull it out so worry not.

HTH

Bx

Thanks you have made me feel alot better about it!

Hmmm.

I've just had mine inserted, and (TMI WARNING!) have had bleeding for 2 weeks since a week after the insertion. But no cramping/back ache with the bleeding? hmmm.

Kazbah, I had some unpredictable spotting (but not bleeding) for the first few weeks but since then nothing.
    Maybe if it doesn't settle down soon you should check it with your Dr.
    I love it but it doesn't agree with everyone.

I love mine too, but did have spotting most days in the first 6 weeks. My gynae told me to expect this so I wasn't phased and it stopped right on the 6 week mark.

sorry if TMI - i was going to post something about this myself today - i had my mirena put in on sept21 a week after had bleeding for 3 days then pale spotting for about 10 days then nothing till the sunday before last & ive been bleeding since so 9 days now & it is nothing like my normal period which was only 3days & mostly brownish - this is bright red all the time - im trying to hang in there to see if it gets better as my dr said it can take 6 months to get used to it!

Wow, so many with this side effect! I'm seeing the doc for my 6-weeks-after-insertion checkup in about 3 weeks, so I'm going to wait until at least then before making up my mind on it. The "no pain" part of the bleeding is good though. And I'm making sure I take my iron supps!

I had mine put in about 6mths ago, I had cramps like a bad period pain that afternoon (managed with panadol) a couple of days of spotting then 3mths period free. I the last two months I have had one very long period (3 weeks) and a longish one (about 10 days). Overall I'm happy with it.

im happy with it though just fed up with the bleeding - i have no pain with it tho am very tired & a bit snappy

paradise lost Guest

I love mine. I had it put in last December. I bled for about 4 days then spotted for about 3 weeks. Then i had lighter but longer AF (about 7-9 days instead of 5, but def less blood loss overall) and mid cycle spotting (3-6 days, around O time) for about 6 months, but each month both got shorter and lighter. The last 3 months i've had no mid-cycle spotting and just a light, painless AF for about 4 days. I'm SO glad i stuck it out since i now know after those few months of slight hassle i have 4 worry-free, hassle-free, baby-free years in front of me without having to do anything.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Bx

MichelleL Guest

I had one inserted when my youngest was 3 months old, it was quite a painful insertion as my cycle had not yet returned and they needed to dilate me to get it in. At the 6 week check up the string could not be found, an x-ray found the iud near my left hip. They think it must have perforated the uterus on insertion. Needless to say I needed laparoscopy to remove it. I now use condoms as contraception
    Michelle

paradise lost Guest

Wow michelle, what a hassle for you!

Perforation is usually an insertion issue - you can ask the gyn who's putting it in what their perforation rate is as it's usually down to technique. Of course, there's a first time for everything, so that doesn't guarantee it won't happen.

Bec

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Wow I am glad I found this thread, I have an appointment to have one on the 30th October. So do they always do a 6 week check up to make sure it is where it should be, and obviously you can bleed quite erratically for the first few month?

Have any of you found that you have less headaches and moodiness with that instead of the pill?

paradise lost Guest

I still get the pmt i always had, i think because it changes fertility whereas the oestrogen stops it. Most women still ovulate on Mirena and the period IS a period, not a whithdrawal bleed like on the Pill. It acts on mucus making it inadequate to support sperm and hostile and thick so they cn't get through and thins the uterine lining so there's nowhere for eggs to implant - that's why periods are lighter/disappear. So i feel relatively normal, neither more or less moody/PMTish. I know one girl who can't take the pill etc because of migraines and she is fine on Mirena - i think it's oestrogen that causes them in her case though.

Bec

I had my put in on the 21'st of September at my 6 week checkup. I was still spotting lochia a bit when it was inserted. Then i started bleeding on the 23'rd of September. I am still bleeding now!! It stopped for a few days a couple of days ago but it has started up again now. I have also had a bit of cramping too. Just period type pain but thats it.

I really hope this does'nt continue for the 3 months that the booklet says it can. I am sure the Dr who put it in said that if i bled for longer than a month to go and get it checked. But ofcourse when i rand the hospital and Family Planning everyone just palmed me off.

Sara - I had mine inserted 4 weeks ago, and had no bleeding for the first week, but have been bleeding ever since.

Make sure you keep your iron intake up!

Kaz - Yeah that is my main worry. I lost 1.5L of blood due to a retained placenta and snapped cord after i had Colby. So my iron levels are already bad. I am taking 2 iron tablets a days as it is. I think i might have to head back to the Dr soon to have my heamaglobin(sp??) levels checked.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast